Can Atheists Feel Joy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2012, 11:50 AM
RE: Can Atheists Feel Joy?
(12-09-2012 11:48 AM)traceparcet Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 11:45 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm too lazy to go back and find it, (there are are least two threads discussing this here somewhere), but actually it's not only joy. ALL the other experiences which religionists think they have a corner on, (wonder, aesthetics, "peace" etc etc ), are not the sole possession of religionists, and those experiences are in no way "closed off" to a-theists. Your teach is a dumb ass.

I'm glad there are other people who can see that. A part of me wants to stand up and set a few things straight with my professor, but I know I am greatly outnumbered on where I stand.

One more time: what course is it?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2012, 11:52 AM
(12-09-2012 11:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 11:48 AM)traceparcet Wrote:  I'm glad there are other people who can see that. A part of me wants to stand up and set a few things straight with my professor, but I know I am greatly outnumbered on where I stand.

One more time: what course is it?

The full name of the course is Gene100: The Making of A Christian Mind. Or as I simply refer to it: Brainwashing.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like traceparcet's post
12-09-2012, 11:56 AM
(12-09-2012 03:35 AM)traceparcet Wrote:  I'm starting this thread after another dragging class called "Making Of A Christian Mind" Today was a tad more interesting since my professor decided to bring up Atheists into the mix up. He said that Atheists can not feel joy since their spiritual life is lacking. I however feel that he is wrong. I would live to hear what others have to say about this topic.

Well... I guess he is staying true to his lesson... a "Christian mind" probably does think up such ridiculous notions.

Maybe you should advise your professor that your area of study is Criminal Justice and you've noticed that there are far fewer Atheists in the prison populations than there are Theists. Ask him: if Atheists don't feel joy and their spiritual life is lacking, why don't they commit more crimes and kill more people than Theists?

That might perk up class time. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
12-09-2012, 11:56 AM
(12-09-2012 11:48 AM)traceparcet Wrote:  I'm glad there are other people who can see that. A part of me wants to stand up and set a few things straight with my professor, but I know I am greatly outnumbered on where I stand.
So what? I do not mince matters in my religious course at school either and I'm probably just as outnumbered

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
12-09-2012, 12:00 PM
(12-09-2012 11:56 AM)kim Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 03:35 AM)traceparcet Wrote:  I'm starting this thread after another dragging class called "Making Of A Christian Mind" Today was a tad more interesting since my professor decided to bring up Atheists into the mix up. He said that Atheists can not feel joy since their spiritual life is lacking. I however feel that he is wrong. I would live to hear what others have to say about this topic.

Well... I guess he is staying true to his lesson... a "Christian mind" probably does think up such ridiculous notions.

Maybe you should advise your professor that your area of study is Criminal Justice and you've noticed that there are far fewer Atheists in the prison populations than there are Theists. Ask him: if Atheists don't feel joy and their spiritual life is lacking, why don't they commit more crimes and kill more people than Theists?

That might perk up class time. Wink

That is a good though Smile Perhaps I will challenge them with that thought and see what they have to say about it.

I am glad to say though, that the class will not take me over. I think, therefore I use logic!
12-09-2012, 12:02 PM
(12-09-2012 11:52 AM)traceparcet Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 11:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  One more time: what course is it?

The full name of the course is Gene100: The Making of A Christian Mind. Or as I simply refer to it: Brainwashing.

You are in Criminal Justice. Why are you taking this course?

12-09-2012, 12:05 PM
(12-09-2012 12:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 11:52 AM)traceparcet Wrote:  The full name of the course is Gene100: The Making of A Christian Mind. Or as I simply refer to it: Brainwashing.

You are in Criminal Justice. Why are you taking this course?

It is required from the school in order to get a degree here. Along with biblical studies of the Old and New Testaments.
12-09-2012, 12:07 PM
(12-09-2012 12:05 PM)traceparcet Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 12:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  You are in Criminal Justice. Why are you taking this course?

It is required from the school in order to get a degree here. Along with biblical studies of the Old and New Testaments.

Wow. Are you ever in the wrong school.

Make as much trouble as possible. Call this professor out on his idiotic statement.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-09-2012, 12:13 PM
(12-09-2012 12:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 12:05 PM)traceparcet Wrote:  It is required from the school in order to get a degree here. Along with biblical studies of the Old and New Testaments.

Wow. Are you ever in the wrong school.

Make as much trouble as possible. Call this professor out on his idiotic statement.

Believe me, I know.

That is what happens when you get a chance to go to school for free, but the small minute detail of a religious institution is oddly left out.

I think I will, we have an upcoming debate.
12-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Ask him to define what joy is exactly. Not the emotion, but the actual process by which joy is generated and then ask him for any evidence that the beliefs relating to the existence of a god(s) has anything to do with chemical processes in the brain.

Evolve
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post