Can Atheists Feel Joy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2012, 12:37 PM
RE: Can Atheists Feel Joy?
(12-09-2012 12:23 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'd like to feel Joy. Is she cute? Are you sure she won't mind?

I used to feel Joy but then (used correctly, TYVM) she got that restraining order.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
12-09-2012, 12:38 PM
(12-09-2012 12:36 PM)traceparcet Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 12:34 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  *than paying attention*

I may have messed up my grammar and spelling on another thread but the than/then usage bugs the shit out of me.

Is it a required class? Is it a religious school?

I fixed it.

Yes it is a required class. It is a religious school. The school is Regent University; and on campus they film and produce the 700 Club.

Fuck that. That sounds horrible. It literally sounds like hell on Earth.

Evolve
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
12-09-2012, 12:38 PM
(12-09-2012 12:37 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 12:23 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'd like to feel Joy. Is she cute? Are you sure she won't mind?

I used to feel Joy but then (used correctly, TYVM) she got that restraining order.

She wasn't the first, though, was she?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
12-09-2012, 12:56 PM
(12-09-2012 11:56 AM)kim Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 03:35 AM)traceparcet Wrote:  I'm starting this thread after another dragging class called "Making Of A Christian Mind" Today was a tad more interesting since my professor decided to bring up Atheists into the mix up. He said that Atheists can not feel joy since their spiritual life is lacking. I however feel that he is wrong. I would live to hear what others have to say about this topic.

Well... I guess he is staying true to his lesson... a "Christian mind" probably does think up such ridiculous notions.

Maybe you should advise your professor that your area of study is Criminal Justice and you've noticed that there are far fewer Atheists in the prison populations than there are Theists. Ask him: if Atheists don't feel joy and their spiritual life is lacking, why don't they commit more crimes and kill more people than Theists?

That might perk up class time. Wink

I once asked a theist this and the answer was: God led them there to be saved (meaning before jail: Atheist, after jail: Theist.) You know, to change their life around for the better and all. Shocking
12-09-2012, 01:03 PM
I can't comment on your field, but... Just saying, if I were hiring for a product team, going through HR's candidates, a degree of Regent or a similar university wouldn't be an immediate disqualifier, but it would be a giant red tick mark. Most people who go to schools like that are religious fundies, and while I don't care much about my co-workers' religion, I do require that they keep it in their pants. Combine a religious schooling with any mention of god or religion in the interview and you're out; I can't hire or work with someone who might waste company time proselytizing.

Fortunately the industry I work in is fairly non-religious. These aren't official statistics or anything, but from what I've seen it's something like:

30% Atheist/Agnostic
25% Mainline Protestant
10% Catholic
5% Evangelical/Fundamentalist Christian
10% "Spiritual"/Buddhist-in-name-only
10% Buddhist
10% Other Religions

The mainline Protestants and Catholics do keep it in their pants, as do most of the "Spiritual" and Buddhist folks. Most of the Buddhists are Taiwanese, and we have some more Buddhists and some Hindus from the Indian workforce. However, most of them end up Atheist/Agnostic within a few years of coming to America.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
12-09-2012, 01:04 PM
(12-09-2012 12:56 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 11:56 AM)kim Wrote:  Well... I guess he is staying true to his lesson... a "Christian mind" probably does think up such ridiculous notions.

Maybe you should advise your professor that your area of study is Criminal Justice and you've noticed that there are far fewer Atheists in the prison populations than there are Theists. Ask him: if Atheists don't feel joy and their spiritual life is lacking, why don't they commit more crimes and kill more people than Theists?

That might perk up class time. Wink

I once asked a theist this and the answer was: God led them there to be saved (meaning before jail: Atheist, after jail: Theist.) You know, to change their life around for the better and all. Shocking

That's actually very interesting
12-09-2012, 01:28 PM
(12-09-2012 01:03 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  I can't comment on your field, but... Just saying, if I were hiring for a product team, going through HR's candidates, a degree of Regent or a similar university wouldn't be an immediate disqualifier, but it would be a giant red tick mark. Most people who go to schools like that are religious fundies, and while I don't care much about my co-workers' religion, I do require that they keep it in their pants. Combine a religious schooling with any mention of god or religion in the interview and you're out; I can't hire or work with someone who might waste company time proselytizing.

Fortunately the industry I work in is fairly non-religious. These aren't official statistics or anything, but from what I've seen it's something like:

30% Atheist/Agnostic
25% Mainline Protestant
10% Catholic
5% Evangelical/Fundamentalist Christian
10% "Spiritual"/Buddhist-in-name-only
10% Buddhist
10% Other Religions

The mainline Protestants and Catholics do keep it in their pants, as do most of the "Spiritual" and Buddhist folks. Most of the Buddhists are Taiwanese, and we have some more Buddhists and some Hindus from the Indian workforce. However, most of them end up Atheist/Agnostic within a few years of coming to America.

High-tech? In particular, software?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-09-2012, 01:44 PM
(12-09-2012 01:04 PM)traceparcet Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 12:56 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I once asked a theist this and the answer was: God led them there to be saved (meaning before jail: Atheist, after jail: Theist.) You know, to change their life around for the better and all. Shocking

That's actually very interesting

Yea, interesting... considering approximately 16 percent of federal inmates released will return... but I'm guessing all is forgiven? Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
12-09-2012, 02:05 PM
(12-09-2012 01:44 PM)kim Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 01:04 PM)traceparcet Wrote:  That's actually very interesting

Yea, interesting... considering approximately 16 percent of federal inmates released will return... but I'm guessing all is forgiven? Dodgy

Spare the rod & spoil the child and all that...
12-09-2012, 02:07 PM
(12-09-2012 03:35 AM)traceparcet Wrote:  I'm starting this thread after another dragging class called "Making Of A Christian Mind" Today was a tad more interesting since my professor decided to bring up Atheists into the mix up. He said that Atheists can not feel joy since their spiritual life is lacking. I however feel that he is wrong. I would live to hear what others have to say about this topic.
Atheists can definitely feel joy. But there's one peculiar thing I noticed. Atheist joy and spirituality seems to be external. They go to the nature and watch natural beauty like sunrises, sunsets and mountains and then the night comes and there are distant stars and planets. Sometimes even a faint stripe of the Milky Way galaxy. It's all Carl Saganish and that inspires deep spiritual feelings in atheist heart.

OTOH, I'm not religious either, but I did experience deep feelings of joy and absolute unconditional love, towards me, others, everything and nothing at the same time, but it was an inner experience. It started with my meditations, but it persisted for weeks, I even woke up with that feeling and walked around with it all day, until it went away. I can return to it sometimes, but it seems to abide by its own rules.
It was certainly fascinating how at first the love was external, like a foreign presence in my mind that something loves me. And then over the days it shifted and merged with me, so I was the one who loves, everything and nothing in particular. It was an essential experience, without religious forms or labels. That's maybe why I'm spiritual but not religious, no religion comes close to capturing this experience, specially no organized, old and dogmatic religion. If anyone still wonders what's the difference between spiritual and religious, (Seth?) it's that.

I have contacted one writer who wrote about such experiences in his novel, but he told me that the research on which it's based is yet "incomplete and inconclusive" and that there is one book to read, The Common Experience by J M Cohen. (It's not in ebook format, so I don't know if I ever get it)

Those who worship that great bearded man (James Randi) seem to have this affinity to nature. I like nice natural sights, but I wouldn't climb, march and camp out just to get there. It just doesn't do that much to me.