Can Atheists (or anyone who is not a "Christian") be "Saved"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2015, 06:39 PM
RE: Can Atheists (or anyone who is not a "Christian") be "Saved"
Atheists can be put into Jebus' 401K. They are thereby saved, (although heavily taxed if withdrawn early).

The Roman Church has always maintained that people "faithful to the lights they are given" are saved.

"Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience -- those too may achieve eternal salvation (CCC 847).

Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men (CCC 848). "

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2015, 06:39 PM
(03-01-2015 06:27 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  Well no one can be saved since purported salvation is from the penalty for sin, and sin doesn't exist. As for heaven, you can't be serious.

But if the Bible were true, no, atheists are by definition hell bound, and those who are former Christians will get the worst of it. See Hebrews 10:26-31. "It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of a living God". No shit, thank goodness he's non-existent.

It's not widely known that Christianity, like other religions, reserves its worst punishments for apostates.

So I won't freeze to death. Just burn for eternity. That's why I'm moving to Florida. Get a Jetski...Get my heathen on. Live while I'm still here. Otherwise I might be a douche.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
03-01-2015, 06:46 PM
(03-01-2015 06:16 PM)Free Wrote:  "Love your neighbor as yourself."
It's really an empty shallow feel good.

Resources are limited, we cannot love our neighbor as ourselves. We must compete. We must focus on ourselves, our family, our friends.
We cannot love others as we love our own family. When we earn money we do it for the survival and happiness of ourselves, we do not share our money and stuff equally with our neighbors.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
03-01-2015, 06:49 PM
I was raised as an atheist. Actually I was raised as a nothing. I didn't even know I was an atheist because I didn't know god was a thing.

So with that as my background what am I supposed to be saved from? I didn't realize I was lost or drowning or in trouble. It's a little like someone telling you that you can't survive without some new fangled product when you've lived perfectly fine without it and now they're telling you that you'll suffer horrible trauma because you haven't purchased it.

Bunch of hooey.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
03-01-2015, 06:52 PM
The need for salvation implies, at a minimum, an inability to take care of oneself in the face of a clear and present danger. More commonly, it implies that you are defective and need fixing. If you're talking about Christianity's doctrines about personal salvation, then you are talking a doctrine known as "the utter depravity of man". This states that man is morally bankrupt, even when, in reality, he does beneficial / good things. It judges people, not by their actual deeds, but by what they believe. In this case, the prescription is a belief that if you ask god to save you from the consequences of your misdeeds, he will do so. And if you don't, nothing you can possibly do can be truly right.

I know the original poster was wanting to make sense of the concept, and the above not only makes no sense, but is nonsensical. But be careful what you ask for when it comes to questions relating to Christian theology, doctrine, dogma and/or practice.

Yes boys and girls, it's true: "All our righteousness is as filthy rags" (Isaiah 64:4-9 -- actually a reference to women's soiled menstrual cloths -- apparently the most disgusting thing the author could think of by way of simile). You are not accountable for your deeds, but for believing capital-T "Truth". This explains why lifelong "sinners" go to heaven simply for signing up to be Christians, and why if they don't sign up, they go to hell in spite of whatever kind or charitable or exemplary things they do.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
03-01-2015, 06:53 PM
(03-01-2015 06:46 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(03-01-2015 06:16 PM)Free Wrote:  "Love your neighbor as yourself."
It's really an empty shallow feel good.

Resources are limited, we cannot love our neighbor as ourselves. We must compete. We must focus on ourselves, our family, our friends.
We cannot love others as we love our own family. When we earn money we do it for the survival and happiness of ourselves, we do not share our money and stuff equally with our neighbors.
It's true, just as we can't truly love our enemies, though we can sympathize with them.

The world would be a much better place, however, if we could learn only to not judge our neighbor. After all, our neighbor probably has very little, if any, free will.
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
03-01-2015, 07:24 PM
(03-01-2015 06:49 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I was raised as an atheist. Actually I was raised as a nothing. I didn't even know I was an atheist because I didn't know god was a thing.

So with that as my background what am I supposed to be saved from? I didn't realize I was lost or drowning or in trouble. It's a little like someone telling you that you can't survive without some new fangled product when you've lived perfectly fine without it and now they're telling you that you'll suffer horrible trauma because you haven't purchased it.

Bunch of hooey.

Even as atheists I think we can all live with at least a small bit of moral fortitude without making it a requirement for so called "Salvation". Morality and religion do not have to be mutually entwined. The advance of modern society depends on a moral code that is not necessarily religious.

[+] 1 user Likes The Drake's post
03-01-2015, 07:28 PM
Such a "Non Starter" that even Bucky posted on my thread.,

03-01-2015, 07:50 PM
(03-01-2015 06:52 PM)mordant Wrote:  The need for salvation implies, at a minimum, an inability to take care of oneself in the face of a clear and present danger. More commonly, it implies that you are defective and need fixing. If you're talking about Christianity's doctrines about personal salvation, then you are talking a doctrine known as "the utter depravity of man". This states that man is morally bankrupt, even when, in reality, he does beneficial / good things. It judges people, not by their actual deeds, but by what they believe. In this case, the prescription is a belief that if you ask god to save you from the consequences of your misdeeds, he will do so. And if you don't, nothing you can possibly do can be truly right.

I know the original poster was wanting to make sense of the concept, and the above not only makes no sense, but is nonsensical. But be careful what you ask for when it comes to questions relating to Christian theology, doctrine, dogma and/or practice.

Yes boys and girls, it's true: "All our righteousness is as filthy rags" (Isaiah 64:4-9 -- actually a reference to women's soiled menstrual cloths -- apparently the most disgusting thing the author could think of by way of simile). You are not accountable for your deeds, but for believing capital-T "Truth". This explains why lifelong "sinners" go to heaven simply for signing up to be Christians, and why if they don't sign up, they go to hell in spite of whatever kind or charitable or exemplary things they do.

So I ask you...How do you know what I was trying to make sense of ?. I'm not worried about my own "Salvation". I was curious about other peoples views.

03-01-2015, 08:03 PM
(03-01-2015 07:50 PM)The Drake Wrote:  So I ask you...How do you know what I was trying to make sense of ?. I'm not worried about my own "Salvation". I was curious about other peoples views.
I understood you to be trying to make sense of the concept of salvation. I might have gotten that idea from your post.

I never had the notion that you're worried about your own salvation, only that you're trying to understand the concept. Likely, the Christian concept of salvation. Which is why I explained it as a former Christian.

If you simply want to know what I think of it, I think it's horseshit. Better?
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post