Can Atheists (or anyone who is not a "Christian") be "Saved"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2015, 08:05 PM
RE: Can Atheists (or anyone who is not a "Christian") be "Saved"
(03-01-2015 05:51 PM)The Drake Wrote:  
(03-01-2015 05:35 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Oh, tis quite a nice story, much better than anything in the bible.

Is Paul saying that smoking dope on the beach is a heavenly experience?

With a hot blonde I don't see how it could be anything other than that. But then again...I'm an atheist, and thus I have no opinion on the veracity of heavenly experiences...blonde or otherwise.

Hot tub time machines are another story altogether.

The second mouse gets the cheese.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2015, 08:16 PM
(03-01-2015 06:39 PM)The Drake Wrote:  
(03-01-2015 06:27 PM)freetoreason Wrote:  Well no one can be saved since purported salvation is from the penalty for sin, and sin doesn't exist. As for heaven, you can't be serious.

But if the Bible were true, no, atheists are by definition hell bound, and those who are former Christians will get the worst of it. See Hebrews 10:26-31. "It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of a living God". No shit, thank goodness he's non-existent.

It's not widely known that Christianity, like other religions, reserves its worst punishments for apostates.

So I won't freeze to death. Just burn for eternity. That's why I'm moving to Florida. Get a Jetski...Get my heathen on. Live while I'm still here. Otherwise I might be a douche.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-01-2015, 08:17 PM
It's a theological question, so the bickering about it being real or finding knowledge seemed childish to me.

But really there isn't any real answer, it depends on nomination and what you take. It ranges on how strictly internal and cruel your religious belief is. Some Catholics would say anyone can be forgiven for bad deeds if they seek forgiveness and act holy enough, but plenty of other people will say you must belief in Jesus, and that's it... some real crazy ones say it doesn't matter what you think or do since it was chosen and set in the way it is by God anyway.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
03-01-2015, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2015 05:26 AM by Rahn127.)
A man stands before god to be judged.

G-"You've committed a great many sins. I shall send you to hell"
Man-"Why ?"

G-"You committed sins"
Man-"I don't care about these supposed sins, I want to know why you are sending me to a place where I will be tortured."

G-"In your mortal life you didn't care how you treated other people. You tortured people."
Man-"I know all this. I didn't care."

G-"Perhaps you should have cared"
Man-"But you made me this way, in your image. You made me a non-caring person. Why are you going to torture me ?"

G-"Because I don't care."
Man-"Exactly"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
04-01-2015, 05:40 AM
(03-01-2015 08:03 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(03-01-2015 07:50 PM)The Drake Wrote:  So I ask you...How do you know what I was trying to make sense of ?. I'm not worried about my own "Salvation". I was curious about other peoples views.
I understood you to be trying to make sense of the concept of salvation. I might have gotten that idea from your post.

I never had the notion that you're worried about your own salvation, only that you're trying to understand the concept. Likely, the Christian concept of salvation. Which is why I explained it as a former Christian.

If you simply want to know what I think of it, I think it's horseshit. Better?

Works for me.

[+] 1 user Likes The Drake's post
04-01-2015, 07:14 AM
do good things........... you get something good in return
do bad thigns..... bad things will happen to you

what purpose does heaven and hell serve besides a glorified carrot and stick to encourage or discourage certain actions
04-01-2015, 09:00 AM
(04-01-2015 07:14 AM)Ace Wrote:  do good things........... you get something good in return

what purpose does heaven and hell serve besides a glorified carrot and stick to encourage or discourage certain actions
Unfortunately, the reality is that the connection between efforts and outcomes in life are flaky at best. Bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people. Your statements are only true in an overall sense, and not even "overall" in the context of one human life. Good tends to beget good, in whatever passes for the great scheme of things, but this is cold comfort to a good person who is dying of some painful disease and has the prospect of leaving their family bereft of their support and guidance -- for example. I suspect it was cold comfort to the orphans of a good friend of mine, who died along with his wife in a head-on collision with a drunk driver. And so on.

The purpose of heaven and hell is indeed a "glorified carrot and stick" but it is more than that. It is a deferment of justice and closure that we don't get in this life -- displaced to a conveniently invisible and unaccessible / unverifiable "after" life. It is a mechanism to get people to buy the idea that god has their back and will reward the just and punish the wicked ... someday, pie-in-the-sky, by-and-by.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
04-01-2015, 09:44 AM
God will punish the good and reward the wicked, if the price is right.

And that price is gullibility and servitude.

You could be in heaven for all of eternity with your rapist, but your god doesn't care about your feelings. He only cares about what he's getting from the deal.

If god really wanted to reward people, he would have given them a nice place to live in the first place.

I'm so glad it's only a fairy tale

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
05-01-2015, 12:52 AM
(04-01-2015 09:00 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 07:14 AM)Ace Wrote:  do good things........... you get something good in return

Unfortunately, the reality is that the connection between efforts and outcomes in life are flaky at best. Bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people. Your statements are only true in an overall sense, and not even "overall" in the context of one human life. Good tends to beget good, in whatever passes for the great scheme of things, but this is cold comfort to a good person who is dying of some painful disease and has the prospect of leaving their family bereft of their support and guidance -- for example. I suspect it was cold comfort to the orphans of a good friend of mine, who died along with his wife in a head-on collision with a drunk driver. And so on.

The purpose of heaven and hell is indeed a "glorified carrot and stick" but it is more than that. It is a deferment of justice and closure that we don't get in this life -- displaced to a conveniently invisible and unaccessible / unverifiable "after" life. It is a mechanism to get people to buy the idea that god has their back and will reward the just and punish the wicked ... someday, pie-in-the-sky, by-and-by.

So you pretty much summed up my point of view. Shit happens. Both good and bad. So I want to know, does the good I do mean nothing to a theist ? While the jackwad child molester who has "found" Jebus gets a free pass ?

05-01-2015, 01:12 AM
It's not surprising so many people turn christian in jail.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post