Can Atheists (or anyone who is not a "Christian") be "Saved"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2015, 08:56 AM
RE: Can Atheists (or anyone who is not a "Christian") be "Saved"
(29-04-2015 08:34 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Saved from what.....

[Image: jesus-knock-knock.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
29-04-2015, 01:26 PM
quote='Chas' pid='773869' dateline='1430319403']
(29-04-2015 08:34 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Saved from what.....

[Image: jesus-knock-knock.jpg]
[/quote]

The second mouse gets the cheese.
Find all posts by this user
30-04-2015, 06:25 AM
(03-01-2015 03:56 PM)The Drake Wrote:  What is "salvation" ? Can I be a complete asshole and still go to heaven ? Can I be the nicest person you know and still go to hell ? Are Buddhists allowed in "Eternity" ? Hindu ? Muslim ? Atheist ? Or is it a Jesus only club ?

Do note that if you ask a Christian this, you will get weird answers. The Bible gives contradictory answers to this, and most Christians aren't willing to follow the stock answers to their logical conclusions. This won't stop them from applying copious amounts of mind caulk to try and plug the holes when this is pointed out.
30-04-2015, 09:25 AM
(03-01-2015 03:56 PM)The Drake Wrote:  What is "salvation" ? Can I be a complete asshole and still go to heaven ? Can I be the nicest person you know and still go to hell ? Are Buddhists allowed in "Eternity" ? Hindu ? Muslim ? Atheist ? Or is it a Jesus only club ?

Salvation? Some strange church concept. As for going to heaven, I sincerely doubt it as there is no indication of afterlife as something more than religious fairly tale; same goes for hell.

To be more serious - there are some theologians who believe is something called empty hell. But they are miniority.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
30-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Save from what ? From the Chuck Norris round house kick?

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
03-05-2015, 05:55 PM
(30-04-2015 11:49 AM)Leo Wrote:  Save from what ? From the Chuck Norris round house kick?

That's just it ! From what ? But I don't think even Jebus can save you from the CNRHK.

[+] 1 user Likes The Drake's post
06-05-2015, 05:38 PM
I believe the Apocalypse of Peter stated that after the end of everything, there would be enough clamor from the souls in Heaven where God would relent and grant all souls in Hell the path to Salvation.
07-05-2015, 09:38 AM

Christians come in numerous flavors. So the answer to your question depends on who you ask. An Assemblies of God prison chaplain once told me that God MIGHT forgive me for being an atheist, but that God COULD NOT forgive me for believing in evolution. So for him, an atheist or Buddhist, etc., could be "saved" as long as she/he didn't believe in evolution.

But I've been told by other Christians that I am definitely going to heaven because I'm a good person, regardless of my beliefs.

And I was old by one mentally-ill homeless man at a shelter I was working at, that because I'm a good person, God would cause me to convert before I die, and I'd go to heaven.

My sister, who is a sort of quasi Hindu, says that when Jesus said "I am the only way," he was referring to the inclusive "I" which encompasses everything: Jesus, according to her, was just one incarnation, and he was all prophets, so whatever religion you follow, it's all Jesus in one form or another. I'm unsure of her view regarding atheists.

So when you ask your question, you need to specify "According to who?"

(Note, "According to the Bible" does not work, because everyone you talk to reads different things from the Bible. Not surprising, since the Bible is an anthology of so many different works by so many different authors, and even the people who assembled the collection were well aware of the contradictions, and didn't care, because they never viewed any of those works as literal. Bible literalism was a much later development.)

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
26-05-2015, 02:58 PM
(07-05-2015 09:38 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  

Christians come in numerous flavors. So the answer to your question depends on who you ask. An Assemblies of God prison chaplain once told me that God MIGHT forgive me for being an atheist, but that God COULD NOT forgive me for believing in evolution. So for him, an atheist or Buddhist, etc., could be "saved" as long as she/he didn't believe in evolution.

But I've been told by other Christians that I am definitely going to heaven because I'm a good person, regardless of my beliefs.

And I was old by one mentally-ill homeless man at a shelter I was working at, that because I'm a good person, God would cause me to convert before I die, and I'd go to heaven.

My sister, who is a sort of quasi Hindu, says that when Jesus said "I am the only way," he was referring to the inclusive "I" which encompasses everything: Jesus, according to her, was just one incarnation, and he was all prophets, so whatever religion you follow, it's all Jesus in one form or another. I'm unsure of her view regarding atheists.

So when you ask your question, you need to specify "According to who?"

(Note, "According to the Bible" does not work, because everyone you talk to reads different things from the Bible. Not surprising, since the Bible is an anthology of so many different works by so many different authors, and even the people who assembled the collection were well aware of the contradictions, and didn't care, because they never viewed any of those works as literal. Bible literalism was a much later development.)

I look at it this way:
1) Jesus, if he existed, was not a Christian.
2) Jesus, if he existed, was Jewish. And he never intended for anyone else to be anything but Jewish.
3) Jesus, if anything, was trying to save the Jews of his day from selling out to the Romans...look where that got him.

28-05-2015, 11:14 AM
(07-05-2015 09:38 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  An Assemblies of God prison chaplain once told me that God MIGHT forgive me for being an atheist, but that God COULD NOT forgive me for believing in evolution. So for him, an atheist or Buddhist, etc., could be "saved" as long as she/he didn't believe in evolution.

Pew. Lucky for most people that understand Evolution, no belief is required. YEAH we all get Mansions!

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin