Can Christians and Atheists Find Common Ground?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
20-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Can Christians and Atheists Find Common Ground?
Many thanks to posters on this site for helping to shape this article!

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2011/04/...ommon.html

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
20-04-2011, 07:11 PM

Rainbow RE: Can Christians and Atheists Find Common Ground?
No. Smile

Good article. And, you're welcome. Wink
Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2011, 09:34 PM
RE: Can Christians and Atheists Find Common Ground?
I think some already have. Moderate christians, aside from betraying faith and reason equally, ignore the bad bits of the bible and focus on the good bits, wanting to be a productive member of society. Some atheists, like myself, don't really have a problem with this. I would prefer if theists would abandon their beliefs, but if they were to only live by the moral parts of the new testament, then I'm all for it. I think this is one area where many atheists and some christians share a common ground - although I imagine they would still disagree on other matters, like whether a god exists.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
21-04-2011, 05:13 AM
You should see the village I live in now... It has a population of 1500 people and all of them are Roman-Catholics. I don't think I could find 3 more atheists in here. You should try to explain these things to people like that, who know only Church all their life. And yesterday I was going to water my plants and smoke a joint when I saw a friend of my and instead of going with me (what we do every day...) he went to church for a confession because it's Easter time... And can I say to him? He is not interested in facts or history, not a bit, so it makes it completely impossible for me to talk about those things and I'm getting a bit angry. But the main problem is that he (and most of them about that age) is not acting Christian, nor does he read the Bible, pray, go regularly to Church, he has no ideas about the Bible, nor does he care about that, he drinks, smokes, takes speed, xtc, lsd, whatever, but still if I even mention Zeitgeist or some of those interesting he gets mad, angry and tells me to shut up, that:"Who am I to say what are his beliefs?"... So I have to avoid the subject, and he is not even a normal believer, he just follows tradition. The worst reason to "believe" of all the reasons...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
22-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Very SAD.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
26-04-2011, 03:32 PM
I don't think there's any common ground to be found between atheists and theists. Theists are mostly deluded and proud of it. How can you have a decent conversation on various topics when the other party is voluntarily in a mental state similar to a psychiatric condition? Those people wilfully ignore science, reason and logic.

Ok, there may be some of them who just abide the nice new testament laws, but doesn't that make them cherry picking hypocrites? I can't seem to be able to befriend someone who doesn't have the slightest bit of common sense. But maybe that explains why I hate 99.9% of all people ;-)

Oh, and according to Jezus, teenagers insulting their parent ought te be put to death (Mark 7:10). Makes him kind of an asshole, doesn't it?

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)