Can God be Unknowable?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Wink Can God be Unknowable?
This guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyVrhITcaPI) calls the Atheist Experience show and talks about Unknowable God. Can God be Unknowable?

What do you guys think?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2011, 05:23 PM

RE: Can God be Unknowable?
(26-05-2011 05:16 PM)godofskeptic Wrote:  This guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyVrhITcaPI) calls the Atheist Experience show and talks about Unknowable God. Can God be Unknowable?

What do you guys think?

This guy suffers from this tormenting disorder called confusion. Tongue

On one hand, he is accepting science, on the other hand he wants to integrate the notion of god somewhere into his belief system. He seems to be in need of god to be true while in fact his own mind forces him to reject the idea. Cognitive dissonance at its best.

I think that this person will sooner or later see that he is not really in need of god for his world to make perfect sense. He is not a lost cause; he is just in this intermediate phase between acknowledging science and believing in god in which he starts to deconstruct one while he does not have all the fragments required from the other in order to support his patterns of thinking. Undecided
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Celestus87's post
26-05-2011, 05:35 PM

this guy's on the verge of falling off the horse(religion) and hitting the gorund(logic).

he firmly wants to believe in this god of his. he wants there to be someone who can unite the world. the only reason he believes in this god is because he was told that it's the answer to unity. once he sees that not everyone agrees and some cannot be swayed from the beliefs shoved in their brains since they were young.

give him a few years. he'll come to understand that that what he's believing is utter b.s.
26-05-2011, 05:36 PM
The idea that God could exist but be completely unknowable is as fruitful a belief as the idea that I don't exist outside of my mind and my life is simply an illusion created in some matrix.
Find all posts by this user
26-05-2011, 05:46 PM

(26-05-2011 05:36 PM)MikeNH Wrote:  The idea that God could exist but be completely unknowable is as fruitful a belief as the idea that I don't exist outside of my mind and my life is simply an illusion created in some matrix.

Open your mind and widen your horizons! Tongue

[Image: tumblr_l7x76s9AiF1qdwsneo1_500_fullsize_...g?2894b262]
26-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Wouldn't an unknowable god be a little pointless? In a day to day context? I mean why worship an unknowable? I listen to the podcast but I've missed this guy. Does he believe in the Bible, in Jesus etc.., Otherwise it's deism and that's pretty harmless.

We all enter this world in the same way: naked; screaming; soaked in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have to stop there.
Dana Gould
26-05-2011, 10:21 PM
(26-05-2011 06:18 PM)Fear Culture Wrote:  Wouldn't an unknowable god be a little pointless? In a day to day context? I mean why worship an unknowable? I listen to the podcast but I've missed this guy. Does he believe in the Bible, in Jesus etc.., Otherwise it's deism and that's pretty harmless.

No, he believes in Bahaullah! He is a follower of Baha'i Faith. He believes that Jesus, Mohammed, Bahaullah,... are the manifestations of god. (http://godofskepticatheist.blogspot.com/ is a blog that debunk Baha'i faith)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-05-2011, 12:30 AM

Seeing as all things that have effect on the universe are knowable in one form or another, that would mean that god would be rather useless. For religious folk its just an excuse why there god should not obey the "rules of the universe" as far as we know them to exist. Its quite sad really.
27-05-2011, 01:44 AM

well?
query: Can God be unknowable?

hell ya
all you have to do is close your eyes
fer gods sake...

*i approve this message*
27-05-2011, 12:38 PM
(26-05-2011 10:21 PM)godofskeptic Wrote:  
(26-05-2011 06:18 PM)Fear Culture Wrote:  Wouldn't an unknowable god be a little pointless? In a day to day context? I mean why worship an unknowable? I listen to the podcast but I've missed this guy. Does he believe in the Bible, in Jesus etc.., Otherwise it's deism and that's pretty harmless.

No, he believes in Bahaullah! He is a follower of Baha'i Faith. He believes that Jesus, Mohammed, Bahaullah,... are the manifestations of god. (http://godofskepticatheist.blogspot.com/ is a blog that debunk Baha'i faith)

Ahh, the Baha'i. Which means you have a 'knowable' god through the messengers. If you can't 'know' the god through its messengers then how do you know these messengers are not just mentally ill or charlatans? Sorry Baha'i followers, if it looks like cheese, smells like cheese and tastes like cheese calling it grapefruit doesn't change the fact that it's still (most likely) cheese.

We all enter this world in the same way: naked; screaming; soaked in blood. But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have to stop there.
Dana Gould
[+] 1 user Likes Fear Culture's post