Can God change his mind?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2013, 07:21 AM
Can God change his mind?
I asked this as an argument to a theist friend of mine and his answer was "no". Which doesn't make sense to me because you are basically telling me that:

A) God cannot undo God
B) I have more free will than God does, even though God is supposedly the one that gave us free will.

Fundamentally speaking, if God did have the ability to change his mind, then there is any number of infinite possibilities of policy change from the last time the bible was supposedly updated (Jews-Never, Christians-New Testament, or Mormons (I like to think of the book of Mormon as bible 3.0)

Obama promised you change. Reach in your pocket, feel those coins? There's your change...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2013, 08:13 AM
RE: Can God change his mind?
(21-01-2013 07:21 AM)DeathsNotoriousAngel Wrote:  I asked this as an argument to a theist friend of mine and his answer was "no". Which doesn't make sense to me because you are basically telling me that:

A) God cannot undo God
B) I have more free will than God does, even though God is supposedly the one that gave us free will.

Fundamentally speaking, if God did have the ability to change his mind, then there is any number of infinite possibilities of policy change from the last time the bible was supposedly updated (Jews-Never, Christians-New Testament, or Mormons (I like to think of the book of Mormon as bible 3.0)
I like to think of the Book of Mormon as crazy talk.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-01-2013, 08:22 AM
Lol.

Sounds like you're both hitting below the belt.

You want the answer to be yes so you can open up the possibility that the Bible is wrong; which doesn't necessarily follow. He knows the answer is yes, but says no because he wants to protect the infallibility of God's word.

If there is a God, then for sure he can change his mind. Has he? Who knows?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
21-01-2013, 08:38 AM
The question seems like a waste of time to me. Let me rephrase the question in a way that highlights my problem.

Does unicorn urine cure cancer?

Do you see the problem?... Well in the interest of clarity... there are no unicorns therefore the properties of their urine are irrelevant.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Knowledge can be given, Understanding must be earned
[+] 5 users Like Andrew_Njonjo's post
21-01-2013, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2013 09:50 AM by Bucky Ball.)
"When the Lord saw how great was the man's wickedness on earth, and how no desire that his heart conceived was ever anthing but evil, he regretted that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was grieved". Genesis 6:5-6
Haha.
That, of course means, that the god is subject to time, and "his" existence requires it. It also means he didn't know the future enough to make a good decision in the first place. Heh heh.
So much for god.
The only reason humans think of gods the way they do, is because the most "advanced" thing they know is a human being. What happens when humans have become integrated with machines, in the next 50 years, or, even more machine than biological ? Will their gods then become machine gods ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Political skeptic .. if there is a bad reason something bad might have happened, you can bet your ass, that's why it happened.
21-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Yes and no.

Is God capable of changing His mind? Yes. He's omnipotent. He can do anything.

Does He change His mind? No. He's omniscient. His decisions were already made from infinity. His decisions are both future and active.

The question isn't really a problem once you understand the dynamic of omnipotence and omniscience.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
21-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Why would he change his mind? He's god, the man upstairs, the big cheese. According to my theist friends he is perfect, so changing his mind would suggest incompetence at most, capriciousness and waffling like a politician at least. I've asked theist friends this and they always get back to the you-just-gotta-believe argument, which is circular reasoning and no argument at all. I tell them that no, I don't just-gotta-believe. The omniscience thing would seem to preclude his choices to change his mind since he would know in advance when he would change it. This does not make sense to me.

Godless in the Magnolia State
21-01-2013, 09:45 AM
If not, then prayer would seem useless.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
21-01-2013, 09:51 AM
(21-01-2013 09:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  If not, then prayer would seem useless.
As I always say. God has a plan. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Political skeptic .. if there is a bad reason something bad might have happened, you can bet your ass, that's why it happened.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-01-2013, 10:07 AM
(21-01-2013 09:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  If not, then prayer would seem useless.
Prayer as commonly understood - yes.

Prayer as what it's supposed to be - no.

Prayer isn't to request crap from God. It's for us to communicate to God so that He can reveal His will to us, comfort us, or explain things to us.

Somehow, it morphed into a Santa Claus list.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post