Can God change his mind?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2013, 12:48 PM
RE: Can God change his mind?
(21-01-2013 10:07 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Prayer isn't to request crap from God. It's for us to communicate to God so that He can reveal His will to us, comfort us, or explain things to us.

Somehow, it morphed into a Santa Claus list.
I like your explanation of the process however I find that if you don't get an answer it seems that prayer, even in your definition would be futile. Research might be a preferable alternative depending on what you're looking for.

Talent hits the target no one else can hit, while genius hits the target no one knew existed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2013, 01:08 PM
(23-01-2013 12:29 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey.

Just on the rock question, I can't remember where but we had a long talk about it. To speak to the conclusions that I drew from the conversation, an omnipotent being can do anything, even the impossible and that includes creating a paradox. So yes, he could theoretically make a rock too heavy for him to lift.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

The guy in the middle is a theist, right?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-01-2013, 01:12 PM
I still can't wrap my head around why people create topics likes this on an atheist forum. Discussing the attributes of a being whose existence has yet to be established is a waste of time at best.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
23-01-2013, 01:13 PM
(23-01-2013 01:12 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I still can't wrap my head around why people create these topics on an atheist forum. Discussing the attributes of a being whose existence has not even been established is a waste of time at best.

Preach it, brutha'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Well, Vosur, for me it's a bit of a thought experiment, but even more useful is that I often get into these kinds of debates with people I actually care about. People who hold beliefs that I'd like to change. Not very realistic of me to assume I can change them so I don't assume that I can, but nonetheless, I'd like to. For their sakes. In order to provide useful counterpoint to their faith assumptions, it's good to see these kinds of questions and participate in these thought experiments.

I liken it to basic training for soldiers in the military. Sure, you could just draft them, give them a gun, and send them into battle, but they're much more likely to win the war if you train them. These debates are my basic training.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
23-01-2013, 01:30 PM
(23-01-2013 01:15 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Well, Vosur, for me it's a bit of a thought experiment, but even more useful is that I often get into these kinds of debates with people I actually care about. People who hold beliefs that I'd like to change. Not very realistic of me to assume I can change them so I don't assume that I can, but nonetheless, I'd like to. For their sakes. In order to provide useful counterpoint to their faith assumptions, it's good to see these kinds of questions and participate in these thought experiments.

I liken it to basic training for soldiers in the military. Sure, you could just draft them, give them a gun, and send them into battle, but they're much more likely to win the war if you train them. These debates are my basic training.
I think that there are much more efficient ways to achieve this goal of yours.

Is it not a waste of time to ask a believer questions that rely on the validity of his beliefs when you could simply cast into question the very assumptions that the former type of question uses?

Not terse enough, still not terse enough...

23-01-2013, 01:31 PM
For example?

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
23-01-2013, 01:37 PM
(23-01-2013 01:31 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  For example?
An example for an assumption that could be questioned?
An example for a more efficient way to achieve your goal?

Please clarify your question.

23-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Awww, now I've change my mind.

Hey, look, I can do something god can't...

[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
23-01-2013, 02:37 PM
(21-01-2013 07:21 AM)DeathsNotoriousAngel Wrote:  I asked this as an argument to a theist friend of mine and his answer was "no". Which doesn't make sense to me because you are basically telling me that:

A) God cannot undo God
B) I have more free will than God does, even though God is supposedly the one that gave us free will.

Fundamentally speaking, if God did have the ability to change his mind, then there is any number of infinite possibilities of policy change from the last time the bible was supposedly updated (Jews-Never, Christians-New Testament, or Mormons (I like to think of the book of Mormon as bible 3.0)
My answer: No. Since a god does not exist, there is no mind to be changed.

Typical theist: God can do anything, so yes, God can change his mind. That said, God wouldn't change his mind because he always makes perfect decisions that are therefore the most desirable to him and always will be.

Like allowing babies to be born with disabilities, for example. Perfect. Oh wait... Consider

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post