Can God create mutations? Eliottt Sober says we can’t rule that out.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2012, 09:43 AM
RE: Can God create mutations? Eliottt Sober says we can’t rule that out.
(07-05-2012 01:08 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  I think it's worth pointing out that the scientific method doesn't "prove" anything. Proofs are only used in the domain of mathematics.
By it's very definition, the scientific method cannot prove anything (e.g. provide 100% certainty) because it insists that even the most well-established, consensus ideas (e.g. theories like gravity and evolution) be constantly revisited and tested to see if they can be falsified.
That's what makes science so beautiful, in my opinion, and it's why so many people cannot come to terms with it. People want black & white, yes or no, certainty. Science doesn't provide that.
Instead it provides something that's much more aligned with fundamental physical reality; probability

There's no Love button, so I just have to say:
I LOVED LOVED LOVED your post!

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Quidsane's post
09-05-2012, 09:34 PM
(09-05-2012 09:43 AM)Quidsane Wrote:  
(07-05-2012 01:08 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  I think it's worth pointing out that the scientific method doesn't "prove" anything. Proofs are only used in the domain of mathematics.
By it's very definition, the scientific method cannot prove anything (e.g. provide 100% certainty) because it insists that even the most well-established, consensus ideas (e.g. theories like gravity and evolution) be constantly revisited and tested to see if they can be falsified.
That's what makes science so beautiful, in my opinion, and it's why so many people cannot come to terms with it. People want black & white, yes or no, certainty. Science doesn't provide that.
Instead it provides something that's much more aligned with fundamental physical reality; probability

There's no Love button, so I just have to say:
Glad you dug it!

This was something that took me a long time to come to terms with. I spent a large portion of my life searching for certainty or some sort of final mental destination.

That outlook on life and reality is simply incompatible with the scientific method of inquiry, which is why I believe so many people reject it.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
10-05-2012, 06:18 AM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2012 06:22 AM by houseofcantor.)
(09-05-2012 09:43 AM)Quidsane Wrote:  There's no Love button, so I just have to say:

Where's the rep, then? Tongue

(09-05-2012 09:34 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  This was something that took me a long time to come to terms with.

I was more the opposite, being in the "only absolute truth is that there is no absolute truth" camp. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
10-05-2012, 01:42 PM
(10-05-2012 06:18 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Where's the rep, then? Tongue

Oh, shit, you're right!
Remedied.

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
10-05-2012, 08:15 PM
How does an imaginary being create mutations?
First show evidence of the existence of a god, then we can rationally discuss what he/she/it may be capable of.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user