Can God even be defined?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2014, 09:21 PM
RE: Can God even be defined?
(23-04-2014 09:15 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Better ask the staff at Oxford dictionary.

Don't want to mess with a paradox haha.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2014, 09:26 PM
I just think often it comes down to a simple principle.

Less is more.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
23-04-2014, 09:34 PM
Whenever a theist tries to convince me there's a god, first thing I do is ask him/her to define exactly what they mean by "God"...

If they can't understand, define or explain the thing they believe in, then they're beyond delusional.

I don't know how they can expect to convince a skeptic with such a vague concept that often changes as the conversation goes on. When they do this its clear that they have no idea what they're talking about, but believe in it because it feels good...

Why not just come out and say "Excuse me sir, have you considered blind ignorance? Its blissful... No more sleepless nights, or uncertain futures as everything is in the safe hands of a being we can't even imagine, let alone explain or prove!"

If God works in mysterious ways, how do you know he's benevolent?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
23-04-2014, 09:38 PM
(23-04-2014 09:34 PM)Sam Wrote:  Whenever a theist tries to convince me there's a god, first thing I do is ask him/her to define exactly what they mean by "God"...

If they can't understand, define or explain the thing they believe in, then they're beyond delusional.

I don't know how they can expect to convince a skeptic with such a vague concept that often changes as the conversation goes on. When they do this its clear that they have no idea what they're talking about, but believe in it because it feels good...

Why not just come out and say "Excuse me sir, have you considered blind ignorance? Its blissful... No more sleepless nights, or uncertain futures as everything is in the safe hands of a being we can't even imagine, let alone explain or prove!"

If God works in mysterious ways, how do you know he's benevolent?

I agree with this 100% Thumbsup

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
24-04-2014, 01:09 AM
(23-04-2014 09:05 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I first read your description as a "malignant agnostic". I'm a malignant agnostic. Weeping
Your question is why some of us call ourselves igtheists.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism
The "circular" problem of morality (aside from the fact that we know from Athropology where morality comes from) has been around for a few thousand years, and no one has ever answered it : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthyphro_dilemma
My opinion is there is no coherent definition or description of a god. It's a meaningless term associated with completely anthropomorphic ideas, slapped onto to a "being" which can "exist" only by invoking Special Pleading. Every term used in reference to deities require absolute spacetime, (which doesn't even exist in this uniiverse) ex: "creation" is an action/process (it has to have an intention, a beginning, and an end ... and without a presumed temporal dimension those words have no meaning), as is every other descriptor ever cooked up to use in speaking about the gods. Every term used about gods has unexamined "silent" assumptions. "Existence" itself requires time, (in the sense we think of a *living being*). Of course theists will deny that, and then go right on using words that have meaning only if time exists, a priori. Existence (and goodness) presume (yet ignore) a larger unexamined Reality. If a god ways always "good" and always existed, then Reality also encompassed (concurrently) the opposites of those qualities, (evil and non-existence). Concurrent necessity of the opposites rules out that god being the creator of ALL of Reality, if it, of necessity, participates in only a portion of it.
Bla bla bla. Drinking Beverage

This is really interesting. I had no idea this was a recognized and established line of thought, but yes, Ignosticism incorporates a lot of what I was thinking. Either "god" just means powerful / advanced or you start down the road of those Ignostic issues.
24-04-2014, 07:01 PM
(23-04-2014 08:44 PM)djhall Wrote:  ... "super-intelligent shade of blue"...

^^THAT^^ is a fantastic band name!
Djhall, your thoughts seem well reasoned - always a pleasure to see that. I hope you will find this place to be a bit more relaxed than other atheist-vs-theist boards on the interwebz... although, we do have our moments. Dodgy

It is pleasant to see possibly another budding ignostic among us... we are few but I think we might be catching on.

Welcome to the forum! Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein