Can I Refuse Bible Tracts from Customers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2015, 02:31 PM
RE: Can I Refuse Bible Tracts from Customers?
The problem started with taking one, to be polite. The fundies take this as a sign you'd like more and there's no end in sight. I see it in action in our town. My response to these people is that employees aren't allowed to receive gifts from customers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Takelababy's post
29-03-2015, 03:36 PM
True. Those people need to be slapped down at the outset. Hard to do at work, though. Most McDonald's stores are owned by individual franchisees so I would definitely take the problem to your immediate supervisor for "advice" on how to deal with the issue.

I was a union official for 25 years but I never ran into any manager who was annoyed with an employee for asking a question about company policy. They usually prefer that to making it up yourself.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
30-03-2015, 09:10 AM
My grandfather was big on handing out bible tracts with info on his church printed on the back. Never saw him do it at McD's but at other restaurants he would leave the tip inside one.

You should print up some atheist tracts and exchange with the person handing you a bible tract. That should make for a good conversation/entertainment when they flip out over it.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

-Carl Sagan
30-03-2015, 09:21 AM
[Image: keep-calm-and-just-say-no.png]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-03-2015, 09:55 PM
Tell them to blow Jesus out their ass.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
31-03-2015, 03:14 AM
(29-03-2015 06:48 AM)Sloane Wrote:  So for four years, I reluctantly accepted the tract with a curt "thanks, I guess" and ripped it to shreds as soon as the customer's back is turned.
Sounds like good business to me.

Give them a smile, take the tract, take their money, give them a burger and fries, make them feel special enough to want to come again and again.

It's not much effort to grab the tract and then bin it when they have left.
31-03-2015, 03:43 AM
(29-03-2015 06:48 AM)Sloane Wrote:  I've been working at McDonalds since April 2010. I usually take orders on front counter or in the drive-through. Every few weeks or so, I get a customer who insists I take a bible tract. I swear they act like they're giving me a ten dollar tip or something. >/ So for four years, I reluctantly accepted the tract with a curt "thanks, I guess" and ripped it to shreds as soon as the customer's back is turned.

Having been viciously bullied to the point of contemplating suicide by evangelical Christians as a kid (that's another story for another thread), I have issues with this sort of thing. My dad says I'm handed tracts because I'm a 'captive audience'. Well, I really want to say "no thank you" to proselytizing Christians and get back to my job before I relive things Sigmund Freud wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. But I don't know what my legal rights are. Can I politely decline a tract without getting fired?

If we don't want gays to be discriminated against in businesses they are customers too. Just smile, take it, and throw it way when they are not looking. If they were on the other side of the counter and you were wearing an atheist hat would you want them being rude to you.

I used to get tracts at the breakfast place I worked at. Most of the time some guy would leave it on the sink in the bathroom, I'd just throw it away.

It is a business, not a debate center. Just do your job. Oh but since you work at Fucky Ds, they could spend less on PR and more on good worker pay. That should be more important to you

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
31-03-2015, 03:59 AM
What's an "atheist hat" and how many people wear their disbelief on their sleeve?

Using Tapatalk
31-03-2015, 05:40 AM
I rate what you're doing is fine. That or no thanks. If they push you you can say "Please, I don't discuss religion while I'm working". While it's true they shouldn't abuse their position as a customer, tearing stuff up in front of them or being overtly confrontational about it is gonna make them complain to HR - who will take a dim view because they want people to talk about how nicely they get treated by McDonald's employees, not how they offered this guy a tract 'cos y'know, he was looking like he needed salvation, and he acted all angry about it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
31-03-2015, 06:41 AM
(29-03-2015 11:38 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(29-03-2015 10:15 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Never piss off the guy who's handling your food.

Unless you consider spit or boogers a condiment....

heh

Yeah. I've seen that done.
That's why I watch like a hawk, and they know it. If I can't see what they're doing, I won't go there.

That's why I don't eat at restaurants that pay minimum wage. I almost always eat at mom-and-pop places, where the cook and server are family. They want you to be happy. A minimum-wage worker has no incentive to care what your experience is like.

(29-03-2015 02:31 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  The problem started with taking one, to be polite. The fundies take this as a sign you'd like more and there's no end in sight. I see it in action in our town. My response to these people is that employees aren't allowed to receive gifts from customers.

What about tips? I've never heard of a restaurant where tips are prohibited. But then, I've never eaten at a McDonalds, ever.

(30-03-2015 09:10 AM)USMCLoggy Wrote:  My grandfather was big on handing out bible tracts with info on his church printed on the back. Never saw him do it at McD's but at other restaurants he would leave the tip inside one.

You should print up some atheist tracts and exchange with the person handing you a bible tract. That should make for a good conversation/entertainment when they flip out over it.

They won't flip out. They'll take it as an invitation to work even harder to convert you.

Having read all the above, I think the best advice for the OP, given the situation of being at work in a fast-food place, is to say, "No thanks." Say it with a smile.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines