Can I Refuse Bible Tracts from Customers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2015, 12:22 PM
RE: Can I Refuse Bible Tracts from Customers?
(31-03-2015 06:41 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  What about tips? I've never heard of a restaurant where tips are prohibited. But then, I've never eaten at a McDonalds, ever.
In NZ we never pay tips. It's the owner/manager's job to ensure staff behave appropriately, their job to train them, guide them and pay them appropriately.

Don't need the uncertainty of tips to add awkward tension between staff and the customers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2015, 01:03 PM
In the US, especially in fast food restaurants, it is the owners/managers jobs to exploit the workers, pay them shit and abuse them so they quit.

It's a whole different system. NZ is a civilized country.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
01-04-2015, 04:04 PM
A tip isn't a gift, but a reward for good service.
01-04-2015, 04:09 PM
Your employer cannot require you to accept religious material as a condition of employment unless they themselves are religious, and even that is questionable.

Tell the customer "no thank you, is there anything else I can get for you?" and close off the transaction.
01-04-2015, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2015 05:44 PM by GirlyMan.)
Set up 2 tip jars one labeled "Shit that helps feed my family." and the other one labeled "Shit that don't." Put the religious tract in the proper jar.

Seriously though, McDonald's is a franchise so corporate probably already has a policy on this in place.

BE THE GOD BITCHES! - Bob
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-04-2015, 07:55 PM
Just had something like this where an employee was piling them in the latrines. They no longer have a job.

Based on what I've read I think you're safe to strongly refuse.

The essence of life is statistical improbability on a colossal scale.
01-04-2015, 08:24 PM
You could always take the tract and slip them a note saying "Help! I am trapped in a Chinese Fortune Cookie factory."

BE THE GOD BITCHES! - Bob
08-04-2015, 01:42 AM
(29-03-2015 06:48 AM)Sloane Wrote:  I've been working at McDonalds since April 2010. I usually take orders on front counter or in the drive-through. Every few weeks or so, I get a customer who insists I take a bible tract. I swear they act like they're giving me a ten dollar tip or something. >/ So for four years, I reluctantly accepted the tract with a curt "thanks, I guess" and ripped it to shreds as soon as the customer's back is turned.

Having been viciously bullied to the point of contemplating suicide by evangelical Christians as a kid (that's another story for another thread), I have issues with this sort of thing. My dad says I'm handed tracts because I'm a 'captive audience'. Well, I really want to say "no thank you" to proselytizing Christians and get back to my job before I relive things Sigmund Freud wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. But I don't know what my legal rights are. Can I politely decline a tract without getting fired?

Take them and don't say a word. Then trash it. Think of it as if you're taking one "out of circulation". You never know who they'll give it to if you don't take it. You could be saving a fellow human from a life of delusion.
08-04-2015, 01:50 AM
(01-04-2015 07:55 PM)Spooky Wrote:  Just had something like this where an employee was piling them in the latrines. They no longer have a job.
Fired over leaving bible tracts in the bathroom?
That sounds a bit excessive?

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
08-04-2015, 10:29 AM
Possible responses:

No thanks, company policy doesn’t allow me to accept anything other than payment. (confirm)

If you really want to help me could you pray that I get a raise? (snark, don’t do this)

Inform yourself:

http://ffrf.org/outreach/item/14007-reli...-workplace

From McDonalds corporate:
http://www.mcdonalds.com/content/dam/Abo...061311.pdf

In case you get blowback for bringing this up, policy clearly is on your side.

“PROTECTION AGAINST RETALIATION
McDonald’s protects employees against retaliation. We strictly prohibit retaliation against employees who report misconduct, raise a concern or cooperate in an investigation, provided that the employees have acted in good faith and with a reasonable belief that the information provided is true. Anyone who retaliates will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment. If you believe that you have been the subject of retaliation, contact Human Resources or the global Compliance Office.”

"McDonald’s provides equal treatment and equal employment opportunity without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, military status
or any other basis protected by law. This policy applies to our employees, applicants, independent contractors, franchisees, vendors and suppliers. It also applies to all aspects of McDonald’s dealings with customers and to our employment decisions, including recruitment, hiring, placement, development, promotion, training, scheduling, benefits, compensation and termination.”

This example below, while not exactly your situation, is interesting and could be used as a guide when you speak to your manager (taken from MacDonalds guidelines) and ask how to handle customers vs co-workers when confronted with your situation.

"Question: Several of my co-workers often tell distasteful jokes, but I am not comfortable telling them these jokes are offensive to me. Does McDonald’s allow this?
Answer: No. Respect for people is a long-standing McDonald’s value. Since you are not comfortable talking to your colleagues about the need for this inappropriate behaviour to stop, raise your concerns with your supervisor
or Human Resources. If you wish to report anonymously, call the Business Integrity Line at +1 800-261-9827.”

Maybe you could call anyway and ask for guidance.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce