Can Iran be trusted?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2015, 02:57 PM
RE: Can Iran be trusted?
(23-03-2015 11:21 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(22-03-2015 09:34 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Trust? No. That's why they're being supervised by the UN to make sure that they do comply with their end of the deal, and it is a deal; both sides negotiated and made concessions, that's how negotiations work. Also their nation and their government is not monolithic, they too have their warmongering hardliners and their moderates who'd rather not get into a military pissing contest with NATO. Much like the best way to combat drug violence is to undermine the power structure of illicit drugs by making them legal and regulated, the best way to undermine the power of the hardliners is to show that their moderates were right and that negotiations and cooperation can get them much further ahead.

Your childlike naivete is endearing, but not good foreign policy advice. Iran isn't a democracy where moderates can get into power by being elected. It is a theocracy where all candidates require clerical approval to run. Khomeini once said (although some dispute the quote) "We do not worship Iran, we worship Allah. For patriotism is another name for paganism. I say let this land [Iran] burn. I say let this land go up in smoke, provided Islam emerges triumphant in the rest of the world." This guy and now his handpicked successor get to bar any candidate they don't like from running. Even the "moderates" are still required to be in favor of an Islamic theocracy or they aren't allowed to run.

Trying to convince the people of Iran is a waste of time, not because the people cannot be convinced, but because the people are powerless to truly affect government policy. The ones in power cannot be convinced, they are religious fanatics who have little interest in the well-being of their country. They care only about the well being of Islam, and to them that means destroying Israel.

And you suggest what?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2015, 03:12 PM
(24-03-2015 12:54 PM)pablo Wrote:  I'm in Illinois, I think we hold the record for number of governors in prison. Smile

Ya have to wonder.... Is that a good, bad, great, or terrible distinction?????

I'll give Illinois one thing -- they have the BEST state parks, east of the Mississippi....
(try Pere Marquette State Park just north of St. Louis.... phenomenal....How many campgrounds have you seen with tennis courts and a frigging BAR????)

The politicians???

Not so great...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
24-03-2015, 03:12 PM
(24-03-2015 02:57 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  And you suggest what?

I've had that one settled for years.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
24-03-2015, 03:18 PM
(24-03-2015 03:12 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(24-03-2015 02:57 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  And you suggest what?

I've had that one settled for years.

So are you serious?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
24-03-2015, 04:26 PM
(24-03-2015 02:30 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(24-03-2015 07:23 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Depends on what part you're in, PA is fucking monstrous.

Philly burbs, Bucks County. Not Pennsltucky.

Well, sucks to be you then. I'm over on the other end by Lake Erie. Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
24-03-2015, 04:41 PM
My commute to New York is already pretty bad. If I moved out near you, it would be totally unmanageable.

Can't do it.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
24-03-2015, 04:43 PM
Iran can be trusted... to do whatever the hell their bat-shit-crazy leaders think is best for them.

And you can substitute pretty much any nation or state for "Iran" in the above.

As for the bomb, I don't want anyone to have the bomb, especially a country that does not have the good sense to have a sanity test* for its presidents and legislators. (That's us.) But it's kind of suspicious when a country that has the bomb tells other countries that they shouldn't have the bomb.

The U.S. says we have to have the bomb because if we didn't someone might drop one on us. (Says the country that built the bomb when nobody else had it and dropped it on a country that didn't have it!) What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. We're on weak moral ground when we tell other countries they can't have the bomb, but as I said, I don't want anyone to have it.

* It was Pogo Possum who first suggested we need a sanity test for leaders, AFAIK. Just so nobody will think I'm trying to take credit for the idea. It's a very sound idea. Nobody who is certifiably insane should be allowed to be President. Of course, you have to be insane to want to be President. What's the solution? Instead of elections, we should choose all our elected leaders by random draw from all qualified (by age and residency) citizens.

What should we do about Iran? I don't have a fucking clue!

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
25-03-2015, 08:43 AM
(24-03-2015 04:41 PM)BnW Wrote:  My commute to New York is already pretty bad. If I moved out near you, it would be totally unmanageable.

Can't do it.

News flash: There are law firms that are not in New York City. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-03-2015, 06:32 PM
Iran is one of a dozen or so countries who have an arbitrary death sentence for non beleiverers........................
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
25-03-2015, 06:36 PM
Can the pope be trusted alone around children?

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.