Can Johnson Make It Into The Debates?!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2016, 10:34 PM
Gary Johnson has been hovering around the 10% of the needed 15% to get into the presidential debates for about a month. Some polls have shown him as high as 13%, others as low as ~8%. Historically 3rd party candidates lose support post-convention, but he seems to be picking up some steam, as is Jill Stein, though her numbers are significantly lower. IF he can get into the debates, anything could happen. Why not? This is easily one of the craziest elections in American history, and 3rd parties have won before (though not since Lincoln). How can he bump is numbers to that magic number? Here are the ways I could see:

- Jill Stein announces she is quitting her campaign and Johnson picks up half her voters while continuing to make some in-roads (not likely)
- Johnson gets a few big donors donate who normally donate Republican, but refuse Teflon Don (I think this is a real possibility, as we know there are several such donors)
-Johnson similarly gets some big Republican endorsements from Party members who will lose there seat because of Trump, or other prominent figures with little to lose (think Mitt Romney, Jeb Bush, Paul Ryan, John McCain, Ron Paul).
- Bernie supporters or Anti-Hillary Dems that are prominent Democratic Party members refusing to vote for Hillary see Johnson as a viable option give him an endorsement (possible, many Bernie Supporters are supporting Johnson as a compromise candidate)
- Organic growth resulting from increasing media coverage and Trumps very public implosion or maybe some more Dem e-mails surface with more damning evidence?

What do you think? Think any of this gives Johnson a shot in the debates? Hope so.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2016, 10:56 PM
RE: Can Johnson Make It Into The Debates?!
Well.....about this much.....

[Image: snowballs-chance-in-hell.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
04-08-2016, 11:09 PM
I think that's a very good summary of what's happening in your local election.

There are a few factors missing though:
What's the time-frame? How long has he got to reach the magic number of 15%?
What's the process? How does it become officially recognised that he has reached 15%?
Is it down to the decision of some anonymous TV executive as to whether they have two podiums (podia?) or three?

Just from watching the Democratic primaries and their national convention it's easy to see how dodgy the system has become:
"Do you want to maintain the status quo?
"All in favour say "Aye""
"AYE"
"All those against say "NO!""
"NO"

"The Ayes have it"

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
05-08-2016, 05:27 AM
We don't have a two party system.

We have a one party system.

The Lizards.........................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
05-08-2016, 05:47 AM
(04-08-2016 11:09 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I think that's a very good summary of what's happening in your local election.

There are a few factors missing though:
What's the time-frame? How long has he got to reach the magic number of 15%?
What's the process? How does it become officially recognised that he has reached 15%?
Is it down to the decision of some anonymous TV executive as to whether they have two podiums (podia?) or three?

Just from watching the Democratic primaries and their national convention it's easy to see how dodgy the system has become:
"Do you want to maintain the status quo?
"All in favour say "Aye""
"AYE"
"All those against say "NO!""
"NO"

"The Ayes have it"

There is some sort of debate commision group that is supposedly the team that decides. If the rules are as they were around a decade ago when Nader & others were barred from the debates despite a strong attempt to make it. You have to have that listed 15% out of a combined 5 polls before the 1st debate or it doesn't count.

which seems rather shady if you can't get it up if people see the 1st debate and happen to flock even more that way to Johnson support.

I recall 4 years ago watching there was a streamed online debate of multiple 3rd party candidates that had Johnson, Stein, Rocky Anderson, and maybe someone else all in a debate. I have no idea if any workings are in the plans for a movement like that again.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
05-08-2016, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2016 10:51 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
I don't like the guy we discussed him in another thread a while back.

I did my due diligence and discovered it doesn't matter what he personally believes, he's going to let the states basically do what they will.

So if your state doesn't believe in evolution by natural selection, they simply don't have to teach or if they believe the earth is 6 days old, they can teach that.

If your state doesn't think gay people should marry than too bad and fuck the Supreme Court.

If your state doesn't feel that any woman should need to have reproductive autonomy, then the women will not have it.

Makes me wonder which state will first try to bring back segregation?

He's made his positions very clear and I don't need to see him in a debate. Frankly I don't need to national debates at all.

If you want to know where a candidate stands on something, fucking google it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
05-08-2016, 02:52 PM
(05-08-2016 10:48 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't like the guy we discussed him in another thread a while back.

I did my due diligence and discovered it doesn't matter what he personally believes, he's going to let the states basically do what they will.

So if your state doesn't believe in evolution by natural selection, they simply don't have to teach or if they believe the earth is 6 days old, they can teach that.

If your state doesn't think gay people should marry than too bad and fuck the Supreme Court.

If your state doesn't feel that any woman should need to have reproductive autonomy, then the women will not have it.

He's made his positions very clear and I don't need to see him in a debate. Frankly I don't need to national debates at all.

Sorry Mom, but you are factually wrong on many of his stances - that's why he needs to be included. Even people who think they know, don't. He is a strong civil rights and anti-discrimination candidate and strongly feels that's fed govt territory. Watch the Libertarian Town Hall.

05-08-2016, 02:59 PM
(05-08-2016 02:52 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(05-08-2016 10:48 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I don't like the guy we discussed him in another thread a while back.

Sorry Mom, but you are factually wrong on many of his stances - that's why he needs to be included. Even people who think they know, don't. He is a strong civil rights and anti-discrimination candidate and strongly feels that's fed govt territory. Watch the Libertarian Town Hall.

In the interest of explicit, explanatory discourse, will you please offer specific instances of his actual positions on the issues Moms offered?

I have no knowledge of the man of my own. He appeared on Bill Maher, and I listened to the Real Time podcast. That's the extent of my information on Gary Johnson.
05-08-2016, 03:31 PM
Johnson himself is not of the most excessive in wanting government dismantling.

Though he truly did veto like 700 bills in his 8 years as governor of New Mexico. He is about not spending on tasks to degrees that still may have solid benefit but he's not a governments only there to protect your property and thats it type.

The libertarian range is complicated because what someone thinks the government's limit or role is, Is mainly a personal arbitrary decision. Maybe to someone it's based on a type of founding document reading or the philosophical notions of Rand & Robert Nozick but either way it's nothing definitive.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
05-08-2016, 03:44 PM
I'd like to see him in the debates, but I don't think it's going to happen. The two parties will agree on keeping any 3rd party out of this mess. The last time they fucked up and let a 3rd party in, 1992, it cost the Republicans a 2nd term for GH Bush.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost