Can Privatized Prisons Work?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
25-08-2016, 02:14 PM
RE: Can Privatized Prisons Work?
(25-08-2016 01:46 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(25-08-2016 01:30 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I did not know any of that stuff about the background for our current laws. Very interesting!

Okay, but today, we seem to have a situation where illegal immigrants are coming in and tending farms and doing the jobs that "no one else wants." People who are sentenced to prison terms can be doing those jobs, and their occupying these roles will remove outlets for employment to illegal workers. Also, if prisoners are gainfully employed while incarcerated, what's so wrong with their paychecks going to their families for support? If their costs in prison are met, then shouldn't their children benefit from their income instead of further costing tax payers to support them too?

The laws made during the great depression serviced the people of that era well... but times have changed. Our laws need to accommodate the world we live in now.

Thanks, I thought it was interesting too, when hearing about it! And I agree with you that it would make sense to change at least some of the laws to better reflect the era we live in now, beyond some that have already been repealed.* I personally wouldn't mind seeing what you've suggested there, because it would probably help people more, though, they'd probably have to increase the pay rate for it to be good for people's families if they could send the money out instead of just adding it to a commissary account.

Right now, the pay range for paid inmate labor in the U.S. can range from ten cents an hour to whatever is decided by the state, federal government, or other entity running the facility. The Federal Prison Industry program (known as UNICOR) has some 83 factories around the United States, but only pays its prison workers a range from between 23 cents to $1.15 per hour, and tends to be considered on the high side of "employee" payment.

RS mentioned the law library gig paying well for the environment, and I think he said $40 a month? I was shocked it was that well paying sadly. x.x

*Totally not what you meant needed repealed, and I know you didn't mean it, but just one that I think folks may find interesting...one of the systems of prison labor that used to be big was the buying of people's contracts from the prison. Basically a private company, say a railroad or coal mine, would house, feed, and guard the inmates and have total control over their lives. Making them essentially slave labor for the company. But yeah, know what you mean about the ones that probably should be repealed for now.

Random thought: Now you've got me thinking I need to try and look and see if anyone's thought of your idea there, and tried publishing it in Criminology and Public Policy, which is written for accessibility to both academics and practitioners, and tends to discuss policy ideas regarding how stuff works in the system. It sounds like something one of their frequent contributors, Todd Clear, would bring up.

Edit: Also the sending money out brings up a thought. While some states allow inmates to send money out, I don't know offhand if all do, or the Feds do, and imagine private companies would have their own thoughts on the matter.

I haven't the foggiest notion what prison financials look like, but if a prison could take on contracts for skilled labor, then maybe they could generate enough money to operate the facility. Let's assume that a welder makes $12/hr on the outside. This figure assumes a profit for the welding company. Even if on the inside, the welder is only making $2/hour (take home), that may still allow for prison costs and small stipend for child support. It may enable prisoners to have enough income to address their personal needs rather than relying on family members on the outside to supplement them.

Even if the figure is only $100/ a month, wouldn't we rather see that $100 leaving the prison to go to feed a prisoner's kid rather than that $100 coming out of that kid's mouth to feed the prisoner?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
25-08-2016, 02:16 PM
(25-08-2016 12:51 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(25-08-2016 11:35 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  For the record, this is a load of shite. I'm very tired of people deciding for themselves what the admins job should be and how they should perform it. If you don't like how we do things here, you are free to move on. I've said it a thousand times...this forum is not for everyone.

Why has this pissed you off so much ? Especially as when the victim explained it to me I was at pains too say I meant no disrespect and was just angry that a decent member had been accused of pedarasty ? I'm sure you do a great job but I refute that my post was shite it was a post of support and care for a fellow member but fuck it I'm out of here never let it be said I stayed anywhere I was not wanted I'll pop in to collect personal messages and anyone who wants to stay in contact I will give them my email . Very sad right now Sad infact almost in tears as tta means so much to me.

Stark certainly didn't mean to run you off. He told me the same years ago. I think Anjele was told that, also. So you are in good company. It doesn't mean he is showing you the door. It just means what it means: "The forum is not for everyone". He banned blowhard, not you. Without Stark, there would be no TTA. He has brought it from a handful of people shooting the shit to what it is today. He may seem gruff at times but he is a big, cuddly Teddy bear once you get to know him. Do yourself a favor and stick around and find out. You know you want to. And we all want you to.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
25-08-2016, 02:19 PM
Ok I've had time to calm down now and I'm not so angry anymore. I appreciate being a mod is a difficult task and you cannot please everyone and you tread a fine line. I over reacted due to tiredness and sickness in the family amongst other things, so I'm gonna stay and if there's a problem with that then as you Americans say...bite me Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
25-08-2016, 02:20 PM
I just want to second what Impulse and Dom said. Adey67, please stick around. We got rid of a thoroughly unpleasant troll. We don't need to lose any of the good people along with him, and you are definitely one of the good people. The moderators had to make a tough decision to boot the asshole, and they are understandably a bit prickly when that decision, or its timing, is questioned. Don't take it personally.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
25-08-2016, 02:22 PM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2016 02:50 PM by adey67.)
Thanks for your kindness folks Heart And special thanks to impulse for helping me see things from the other side of the fence.
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
25-08-2016, 03:35 PM
Is this where we are throwing out our opinions on the recent banning of HB? Certainly seems so. Those of you familiar with me know I hate to be left out of people voicing opinions things that really don't matter and this is going to be no exception.

Anyway, this is a private website paid for by someone else and the forum is managed by a few volunteers who donate their time to do it. It's not the public square and you have no right to be here. Seth has entrusted the mods with decision making power on who stays and goes, he pays for the site, and that's how it works. I have no particular problem with that and if I do I can exercise my right to leave (but not without first making a post about my intention to leave and then staying around while it grows 8 or 9 pages all the while saying "no, no, I'm going and you can't talk me out of it ... any day now it's going to happen!).

All that said, I disagreed with the decision to ban the asshole. Yes, he's an asshole. But, so what? I mostly ignored him. Every now and then I'd engage him, but I always knew there was a game being played. He was disingenuous in his approach at all times, but his agenda and point of view were pretty obvious. You knew where most of his posts were going. I just don't understand why people got so upset about him. Yes, I saw what he said to RS and it was pretty deplorable. But, I agree with what Muffs said a few pages back: grow thicker skin. No offense meant to RS but the world is an unforgiving place and I'm sure you are personally well aware of how little regard it has for people with criminal records. It sounds to me like you've been through a lot, and you have my sympathy, but I can't believe some douchebag on the internet can really impact you that much. He's nothing. Who cares what crap he spews? Did we really need to ban him for that?

This is a good forum in general, but there is a tendency to push people who don't fall into the mainline thinking here. Some suck it up and stay anyway, some leave. Some purposely act like assholes, like Jablome did, but it's bad for a forum to push out all the dissenting members - even the bad ones - as you end up with nothing but group think and people agreeing with one another. We are (presumably) all adults here. We shouldn't need "safe spaces".

Anyway, my 2 cent opinion on the topic.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 4 users Like BnW's post
25-08-2016, 03:42 PM
(25-08-2016 03:35 PM)BnW Wrote:  Is this where we are throwing out our opinions on the recent banning of HB? Certainly seems so. Those of you familiar with me know I hate to be left out of people voicing opinions things that really don't matter and this is going to be no exception.

Anyway, this is a private website paid for by someone else and the forum is managed by a few volunteers who donate their time to do it. It's not the public square and you have no right to be here. Seth has entrusted the mods with decision making power on who stays and goes, he pays for the site, and that's how it works. I have no particular problem with that and if I do I can exercise my right to leave (but not without first making a post about my intention to leave and then staying around while it grows 8 or 9 pages all the while saying "no, no, I'm going and you can't talk me out of it ... any day now it's going to happen!).

All that said, I disagreed with the decision to ban the asshole. Yes, he's an asshole. But, so what? I mostly ignored him. Every now and then I'd engage him, but I always knew there was a game being played. He was disingenuous in his approach at all times, but his agenda and point of view were pretty obvious. You knew where most of his posts were going. I just don't understand why people got so upset about him. Yes, I saw what he said to RS and it was pretty deplorable. But, I agree with what Muffs said a few pages back: grow thicker skin. No offense meant to RS but the world is an unforgiving place and I'm sure you are personally well aware of how little regard it has for people with criminal records. It sounds to me like you've been through a lot, and you have my sympathy, but I can't believe some douchebag on the internet can really impact you that much. He's nothing. Who cares what crap he spews? Did we really need to ban him for that?

This is a good forum in general, but there is a tendency to push people who don't fall into the mainline thinking here. Some suck it up and stay anyway, some leave. Some purposely act like assholes, like Jablome did, but it's bad for a forum to push out all the dissenting members - even the bad ones - as you end up with nothing but group think and people agreeing with one another. We are (presumably) all adults here. We shouldn't need "safe spaces".

Anyway, my 2 cent opinion on the topic.

I had the same opinion you do -- until I read that prison thread. I hadn't bothered to read it before because I'm just not that interested in the topic, but this thread aroused my curiosity. I think he crossed a line that can't be crossed in that thread, and then refused to apologize when called on it. And they still didn't just knee-jerk ban him immediately. They gave it quite a bit of thought. I think their final decision was the right one, and I won't miss that asshole one bit. He was a pure troll with nothing of value to add to this forum. His entire purpose here was to just piss people off. Good riddance to his disgusting ass.
[+] 5 users Like Grasshopper's post
25-08-2016, 03:50 PM
(25-08-2016 03:35 PM)BnW Wrote:  I just don't understand why people got so upset about him. Yes, I saw what he said to RS and it was pretty deplorable. But, I agree with what Muffs said a few pages back: grow thicker skin. No offense meant to RS but the world is an unforgiving place and I'm sure you are personally well aware of how little regard it has for people with criminal records.

Quote:Posttraumatic stress disorder

Posttraumatic stress disorder is a mental disorder that can develop after a person is exposed to a traumatic event, such as sexual assault, warfare, traffic collisions, or other threats on a person's life. Symptoms may include disturbing thoughts, feelings, or dreams related to the events, mental or physical distress to trauma-related cues, attempts to avoid trauma-related cues, alterations in how a person thinks and feels, and increased arousal.

PTSD is not voluntary. The reaction to triggers is not voluntary. There is no skin thick enough to withstand PTSD, it is totally beyond control. Take it from me, I know first hand. You can also read up on it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post
25-08-2016, 03:58 PM
I get that. And, I sincerely was not trying to take a shot at RS at all, and I hope he understands my point was not directed at him. But, the reality is that life is tough and you can't remove all the triggers. You either find ways of coping or you can't venture into the world. That's the cold reality. I'm not making light of PTSD, but people who suffer from it have to live in the world as it exists.

Grasshopper - I'm not going to shed any tears over him being gone. I'm just not thrilled with banning people for being rude. As I said at the outset, it's not my forum or my decision, so I'm not arguing against what was done.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
25-08-2016, 03:58 PM
(25-08-2016 11:35 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(25-08-2016 03:18 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Heywood is a filthy little fucker who deserves at least a ban Rocket you have my full support for what its worth. Quite frankly the prevarication of the administration makes me nervous about being here myself. If someone spams this forum they are out usually very quickly too, but suggest that someone is a pederast or woman beater and its oh well we will suspend them and may or may not ban them wtf !!!!

For the record, this is a load of shite. I'm very tired of people deciding for themselves what the admins job should be and how they should perform it. If you don't like how we do things here, you are free to move on. I've said it a thousand times...this forum is not for everyone.

This seems like a very productive way to react to criticism Wink
It's lucky I have people to remind me why I left TTA to begin with lest I accidentally get comfortable here again. I just didn't think it'd be you. Lol. Oh well

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post