Can Privatized Prisons Work?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
26-08-2016, 02:00 AM
RE: Can Privatized Prisons Work?
Erratum:

(26-08-2016 01:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  ...
Blowjob wasn't banned because he was rude, Blowjob was banned because he didn't fit in with the group.

The reason for the ban is in the Ban Log.

Was I banned? Not even close.

Closer than you realise.

He was though, for complaining about my rude disgusting comments too much.

For creating sock puppets.

Dodgy

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
26-08-2016, 03:08 AM
1) He did know. This subject has come up before, when he was goading me quite some time ago. I left the forum when they wouldn't ban him on my behalf. I thought I was a bit thicker-skinned, now that some time has gone by, but this guy knows how to get to me-- that's partly because I can't simply beat his brains in, I suppose, but mostly because he's doing it deliberately for the pleasure of causing harm, like a psychopath, and I don't have the luxury of just shrugging it off as the rest of you (most of you) seem to be able to do.

2) Assuming he forgot what I was in for, and wanted to know, he still acted like a psychopath. Rather than simply asking like a normal person, he did it in the most cruel and manipulative way possible. He knew exactly what he was doing. Only you could possibly read that as a "lighthearted comment".

3) You got the benefit of the doubt because it was clear he was deliberately trying to cause harm and disruption, which he has a strong pattern of doing, and I know you well enough that even when you're being a total asshole (as now), you still mean well. Mostly.

4) I am fairly strong-willed and strong-minded, and if he can make me want to leave, then he certainly would drive off the people who seek this forum out as a refuge from people like Blowjob and the cruel tactics of those religionists who hate us with all their black little hearts.

5) I don't view this forum like any other, and I made that point quite clear a few posts back. I view this forum as a place where atheists can go to discuss issues without all the religious claptrap that goes along with the over-religious societies in which most of us live. This is our little society. Yes, believers are welcome here, and dissenting views should be (are) more than welcome, but deliberate cruelty that serves no purpose other than the amusement of the poster at the expense of another member should be frowned upon...

...which is why you were "closer than you know".

TL;dr - Blowjob wasn't clueless, he was a sick and cruel person doing his best to play "supreme puppet master", per his own self-description. Shading it in any other light is ridiculous and beneath you.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
26-08-2016, 03:17 AM
I don't know what sack up means girly but I'm sure its fair comment, I did lose my temper and over react which wasn't good. Back to prisons in the USA some jails feed people inhuman food and too little of it and conditions are so bad like with that crazy sheriff and his mystery meat I'm surprised the UN human rights commission hasn't got involved, sure glad I don't live there tbh.
26-08-2016, 03:40 AM
I know i'm a little late to the party but i completely approve this bane

I said it in the "great filter thread" i said in the "truck control thread" and i said it in the abortion thread morning woods a sociopath who enjoys hurting people for his own enjoyment .It's not simple matter of insults .insults you can brush off it's a matter of psychological manipulation built to tear a person down on a deep personal level .It specific,its ruthless,and it's meant to leave scars ,and impose guilt and fear in it's victim and only a very evil person would use it so casually .

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 6 users Like OrdoSkeptica's post
26-08-2016, 05:08 AM
(26-08-2016 03:17 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I don't know what sack up means girly but I'm sure its fair comment, I did lose my temper and over react which wasn't good. Back to prisons in the USA some jails feed people inhuman food and too little of it and conditions are so bad like with that crazy sheriff and his mystery meat I'm surprised the UN human rights commission hasn't got involved, sure glad I don't live there tbh.

Sack = short for "nut sack", or scrotum, Adey. It means "grow some balls", and is another way of calling me a pussy, which at least in the USA means weak. It's a leftover from the old misogynist language that implied being a man meant being tough, and being a woman meant being weak, and no man wants to be like a woman. So goes the idea.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
26-08-2016, 05:10 AM
(26-08-2016 03:40 AM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  I know I'm a little late to the party but I completely approve this ban.

I said it in the "great filter thread" I said in the "truck control thread" and I said it in the abortion thread morning woods a sociopath who enjoys hurting people for his own enjoyment. It's not simple matter of insults. Insults you can brush off; it's a matter of psychological manipulation built to tear a person down on a deep personal level. It's specific, it's ruthless, and it's meant to leave scars and impose guilt and fear in its victim, and only a very evil person would use it so casually.

Perfect. This is what I have been trying to say. Thank you for putting it so well, OrdoSkeptica.

(Fixed your syntax/grammar, though. Sorry, can't help it!)

[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
26-08-2016, 05:37 AM
(26-08-2016 05:08 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(26-08-2016 03:17 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I don't know what sack up means girly but I'm sure its fair comment, I did lose my temper and over react which wasn't good. Back to prisons in the USA some jails feed people inhuman food and too little of it and conditions are so bad like with that crazy sheriff and his mystery meat I'm surprised the UN human rights commission hasn't got involved, sure glad I don't live there tbh.

Sack = short for "nut sack", or scrotum, Adey. It means "grow some balls", and is another way of calling me a pussy, which at least in the USA means weak. It's a leftover from the old misogynist language that implied being a man meant being tough, and being a woman meant being weak, and no man wants to be like a woman. So goes the idea.
I think the comment was aimed at me and I accept that, I should not have over reacted or lost my temper so fair comment I guess, i will attempt to grow a pair as they say Big Grin.
I don't think anyone could accuse you of being a pussy though, you survived a long period of incarceration in brutal fight or die conditions, American jails are notorious worldwide i would have been dead within 12 to 24 hours no doubt about it.
26-08-2016, 05:44 AM
(26-08-2016 01:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Except Blowjob didn't know what you were in prison for thus him asking.

Exactly what HJ knew is difficult to say. However, by his own admission he was here because he could say what he wanted, anonymously, and with no repercussions. He admitted that he was here to provoke, essentially to troll.

(And, no, I'm not searching his posts to quote directly.)

(26-08-2016 01:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  If he knew all this about you and was purposely goading you to flare up your PTSD than yea, I think banning him for the sake of protecting you would be called for.

He did specifically admit to goading RS and refused to apologize. I acknowledge that he did not say he was trying to attack PTSD, but he was certainly trying to provoke an emotional response.

If you try to provoke someone, and they react more strongly or in a different way, than you intended, then you are still responsible for your provocation.

(26-08-2016 01:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  You, and everyone else, obviously wont like my view but that is what I feel this forum's version of free speech is about.

Free Speech is not Free of Consequences.

(26-08-2016 01:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So you'll give me the benefit of the doubt but not Blowjob?

From what I can see, he was given more benefit of the doubt than he deserved.

(26-08-2016 01:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Blowjob wasn't banned because he was rude, Blowjob was banned because he didn't fit in with the group. Nobody liked him.

HJ posted in an abusive, toxic manner. He was not rude. He was insulting, manipulative and sadistic. He admitted to doing all this for his own enjoyment.

(26-08-2016 01:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Blowjob makes one rude comment and everyone's up in arms??

Really? C'mon man, you're better than that.

(26-08-2016 01:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  A lot of you 2015ers who are calling for Blowjobs ban haven't been here very long.
You don't know the old times and the arguments and issues we had.

Are you advocating HJ's style of posting as good debating or good arguing?
His arguments were fatally flawed.
He refused to revise those arguments or even acknowledge that the flaws existed.
Any potential points he may have had were lost under layers of toxicity.

(26-08-2016 01:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  We don't ban someone based on if they're hated or not we do it based on their actions and Blowjobs actions here were not ban worthy. Unpopular and rude but not ban worthy.

I disagree. His actions were, at the least, sociopathic and self serving. He contributed nothing positive to the forums.

(26-08-2016 01:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  This is an open forum where people post anomalously. The issue is yours and its not TTAs job to protect you, you're an adult you know what does and doesn't trigger you.

To some extent this is true. We are adults and to a large extent we are responsible for our own actions and our responses to the actions of others.

This situation is somewhat different. This is not simply one post, one incident. This is a poster's entire history, their entire presence on the boards. This last incident is simply the proverbial last straw.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 6 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
26-08-2016, 05:48 AM
Muffsy Wrote:@Losty, you can sack up too.

Wink
Personally I kinda agree with your long post. Heywood as far as I could see hadn't broken any actual rules besides "don't be a dick". Everyone on this forum has broken that one including myself. As much as I'd rather have TRS and not Heywood, I don't think I'd have voted to ban him if I were staff. I honestly don't care which way they vote. I don't even mind the "this place isn't for everyone" attitude. I'm just not a fan of that whole silencing the dissent thing. Staff can do whatever they want but there's no reason they have to have a hissy fit just because someone disagrees with what they do. You can run the greatest country with the best laws and if you shoot everyone who disagrees with you, you're still a shite dictator. I could sack up, though I'm not entirely sure what that means. Or I could say whatever I want without giving any fucks what you think of it.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
26-08-2016, 05:58 AM
Sometimes more than one view is right (or wrong) at the same time.

The mods gotta make a decision.....

Ya don't gotta like it. I'm sure they don't like making it, and I'm even more sure they like being criticized for being forced into a decision, even less.......

They HAVE to make a decision.

You don't....

And hey -- its not like they took a ball peen hammer to a box fulla kittens...............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post