Can Privatized Prisons Work?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
01-09-2016, 03:38 PM
RE: Can Privatized Prisons Work?
(01-09-2016 02:08 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Mother Jones just published an article relevant to thread, about Winn Correctional Facility in Louisiana. One of their reporters went undercover for 4 months as a guard there and...it makes me want to vomit. It seems like once every two paragraphs, tops, there's a parenthetical and "CCA denies this occurred", "CCA says this is not in line with their procedures", "CCA claims no record of this incident", "CCA says that prisons are never placed in lockdown due to staffing concerns".

My Four Months As a Private Prison Guard by Shane Bauer.

You beat me to it. I just read this article. I've had problems with private for profit prisons forever now.

It bothers me greatly when people I know say they support them.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-09-2016, 04:21 PM
(01-09-2016 03:31 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  
(01-09-2016 02:08 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Mother Jones just published an article relevant to thread, about Winn Correctional Facility in Louisiana. One of their reporters went undercover for 4 months as a guard there and...it makes me want to vomit. It seems like once every two paragraphs, tops, there's a parenthetical and "CCA denies this occurred", "CCA says this is not in line with their procedures", "CCA claims no record of this incident", "CCA says that prisons are never placed in lockdown due to staffing concerns".

Damn. That's just the next parish west of me.

Kind of a frightening thought. Though I think we may have one here in the county I work in, so can't say much here.

(01-09-2016 03:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

You beat me to it. I just read this article. I've had problems with private for profit prisons forever now.

It bothers me greatly when people I know say they support them.

Sorry to beat you to it, but agreed on being bothered by it. Intellectually, I know everything from that article, but it's way more powerful to put it in a person's voice from their own experiences. Definitely going to read from it in class when we hit the chapter involving for-profit criminal justice institutions. Sent it to the folks teaching Corrections this semester as well.

Like with the juvenile facility in town, I know it's being run to standards set by the state (and actually in some ways better...we're embroiled in a major scandal in this state because juveniles at a state facility were being raped and swept under the rug), but that doesn't mean I necessarily like it too much. (Holy run-on sentence Batman, on my part.)

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
01-09-2016, 06:50 PM
(25-08-2016 11:35 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(25-08-2016 03:18 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Heywood is a filthy little fucker who deserves at least a ban Rocket you have my full support for what its worth. Quite frankly the prevarication of the administration makes me nervous about being here myself. If someone spams this forum they are out usually very quickly too, but suggest that someone is a pederast or woman beater and its oh well we will suspend them and may or may not ban them wtf !!!!

For the record, this is a load of shite. I'm very tired of people deciding for themselves what the admins job should be and how they should perform it. If you don't like how we do things here, you are free to move on. I've said it a thousand times...this forum is not for everyone.

... or, alternatively, if you don't like criticism, you could resign your post. You're an admin on a forum that prides itself on non-censorship. How does your reply, quoted above, comport with that?

Forgive my impertinence, but if this forum is "not for everyone", then who is it for? Speak clearly, and don't pussyfoot.

Like it or not, you will be judged.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post