Can Privatized Prisons Work?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-08-2016, 06:13 PM
RE: Can Privatized Prisons Work?
(24-08-2016 07:33 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(24-08-2016 06:50 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  You think prisoners get two-ply toilet paper? Seriously?

And no, I was fortunate that my family supported me throughout my incarceration, and I had it about as good as it's possible to have things, in there. In addition to the money my family sent me, I was also fortunate enough to have a "top-paying" job as a Law Clerk in the prison library, which not only rendered me "untouchable" to the predators in there (since everyone needs legal advice and/or defense when charged with disciplinary infractions), but also netted me a whopping $40/month, more than enough to buy decent soap, shampoo, TP, etc.

I'm not sure what part of my statement you could read as bitter. I stated some very basic facts based upon direct observation. If that seems like bitterness to you, then you're the one with the problem, not me.

On the other hand, you seem to be trying to be an asshole, again. Stop it.

What did they lock you up for? Beating up on a woman or did you touch little kids?

Doesn't look deleted to me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2016, 06:21 PM
(24-08-2016 06:12 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(24-08-2016 06:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Interesting that he cleared out that post. As I have said before, he is a coward. I would love to know what it said.

Old Man Marsh quoted him, as did several others. Do the quoting posts also get deleted? I don't think so. Look for DLJ busting his chops.

That link was on another thread, an intro thread. Blowme is cleaning up evidence of his assholery. He's gonna be a busy guy.

I have screen shots of some.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
24-08-2016, 07:25 PM
'Ah say bannin's too good fer 'im! 'Ah say we drag 'im down tuh deep R'lyeh, and let Cthulhu do as if'n he pleases!

Evil_monster

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
24-08-2016, 07:31 PM
(24-08-2016 07:25 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  'Ah say bannin's too good fer 'im! 'Ah say we drag 'im down tuh deep R'lyeh, and let Cthulhu do as if'n he pleases!

Evil_monster

You want the Old Master to gag and puke?! We know where YOUR loyalties lie! Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
24-08-2016, 08:02 PM
(24-08-2016 05:51 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  ... I decided it was time for a "him or me" ultimatum ...

Oh stop it Mr. Surgeon, your participation here is too valuable to let something as valueless as HJO's "contributions" affect you. To be fair I left a forum a few years ago, but not because of abuse by airheads (which was hot but just air, really), I quit because one of the moderators decided a thread I'd started was too controversial so he deleted it. I'm fine with loose cannons firing their blanks (it makes them look bad, not me) but when a moderator censors context then I risk wasting my time.

None of your posts is a waste of time, either for you or especially for many (most) of us here who benefit from your wit and insights. No moderator here (I don't think) has been contemplating deleting any of your streams of thought as too controversial, hence I think letting an airhead blow you out of here validates his method and sacrifices your work for no purpose other than spite.

To my mind the proper response to participants such as HJO (aka Mr. Owdadawaddah, which is his full name) is to simply not respond. Response of any kind validates the method. So don't validate it, ignore it.
[+] 6 users Like Airportkid's post
24-08-2016, 08:04 PM
Okay, everyone. I have received the decision of the moderators.

They have elected to restrict his posting rights (presumably, this means his posts must be approved before they appear), rather than to ban him from the site, in the name of a dedication to free speech. That is their right, and while I respect that decision, I am afraid I must withdraw from this forum after all.

I said I would paraphrase, but frankly I am not in a condition to be original, since I said what I needed to say in the Private Message. This is my PM, which I sent to the mod as a "heads up" before I posted here:

Quote:I am not trying to influence his behavior, nor remove his freedoms, frustrate him, or in any other way retaliate against him.

I am stating openly that a person who is abusive to this level is a danger to my mental health, and that I cannot continue to be on a forum where I must worry about what he says next.

I am generally a proponent of near-absolute free speech but, like threatening people or slandering people or yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded theater, I believe there are limits when it comes to doing deliberate harm to others. This guy is more than a troll; he seeks to defame and to inflict pain on purpose to people (atheists) whom he dislikes, knowing full well the result of the things he says.

I do not think that the temporary restriction of his posting rights is a sufficient response. As long as he is here, I will be forced to "look over my shoulder", rhetorically. With respect, I must withdraw from the forum until/unless he is banned, for my own mental health's sake. I will post something to that effect in the thread, after I send you this.

Thanks for trying.

I love you guys, and I will miss participating in atheist forums, but it is clear that atheist forums in general prefer allegiance to a nebulous concept of absolute free speech over the protection of atheist members from abuse by the abusive religionists they come here to flee, in the first place.

I will respond to Private Messages, as they "ping" my phone via email when I receive one, and anyone who wants to add me on Facebook in order to keep in touch, just send me a PM and I'll give you my info.

I wish peace to you all, and keep fighting the good fight, as Saul of Tarsus once said.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
24-08-2016, 08:06 PM
Alright I'll play devils advocate.
Firstly, can this thread be split? I felt I was making some good points about private prisons and I always enjoy a good opportunity to bash on America and their justice system is the perfect opportunity to do so.

Back to Blowjob.
I dunno what all the fuse is about. I read his post and I didn't take it as purposely accusing Rocket of anything. It's like a candid comment. A typical Blowjob comment I might add.
Like if a priest was imprisoned and you jokingly said "what? did he fiddle with the alter boys or something?".

Blowjob: "Did you beat up women or fiddle with the kids?"
Rocket: "neither, my ex girlfriend was a bitch." or "I'd rather not talk about it."

End of conversation. But nope, now everyone's blowing up over it.

Even if he did mean to be sinister, so what?

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
24-08-2016, 08:07 PM
(24-08-2016 08:02 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(24-08-2016 05:51 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  ... I decided it was time for a "him or me" ultimatum ...

Oh stop it Mr. Surgeon, your participation here is too valuable to let something as valueless as HJO's "contributions" affect you. To be fair I left a forum a few years ago, but not because of abuse by airheads (which was hot but just air, really), I quit because one of the moderators decided a thread I'd started was too controversial so he deleted it. I'm fine with loose cannons firing their blanks (it makes them look bad, not me) but when a moderator censors context then I risk wasting my time.

None of your posts is a waste of time, either for you or especially for many (most) of us here who benefit from your wit and insights. No moderator here (I don't think) has been contemplating deleting any of your streams of thought as too controversial, hence I think letting an airhead blow you out of here validates his method and sacrifices your work for no purpose other than spite.

To my mind the proper response to participants such as HJO (aka Mr. Owdadawaddah, which is his full name) is to simply not respond. Response of any kind validates the method. So don't validate it, ignore it.

Imagine a forum where a troll came in and NOBODY responded to a single post. That would be pretty strange, for sure.
[+] 5 users Like Fireball's post
24-08-2016, 08:07 PM
(24-08-2016 08:04 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Okay, everyone. I have received the decision of the moderators.

They have elected to restrict his posting rights (presumably, this means his posts must be approved before they appear), rather than to ban him from the site, in the name of a dedication to free speech. That is their right, and while I respect that decision, I am afraid I must withdraw from this forum after all.

I said I would paraphrase, but frankly I am not in a condition to be original, since I said what I needed to say in the Private Message. This is my PM, which I sent to the mod as a "heads up" before I posted here:

Quote:I am not trying to influence his behavior, nor remove his freedoms, frustrate him, or in any other way retaliate against him.

I am stating openly that a person who is abusive to this level is a danger to my mental health, and that I cannot continue to be on a forum where I must worry about what he says next.

I am generally a proponent of near-absolute free speech but, like threatening people or slandering people or yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded theater, I believe there are limits when it comes to doing deliberate harm to others. This guy is more than a troll; he seeks to defame and to inflict pain on purpose to people (atheists) whom he dislikes, knowing full well the result of the things he says.

I do not think that the temporary restriction of his posting rights is a sufficient response. As long as he is here, I will be forced to "look over my shoulder", rhetorically. With respect, I must withdraw from the forum until/unless he is banned, for my own mental health's sake. I will post something to that effect in the thread, after I send you this.

Thanks for trying.

I love you guys, and I will miss participating in atheist forums, but it is clear that atheist forums in general prefer allegiance to a nebulous concept of absolute free speech over the protection of atheist members from abuse by the abusive religionists they come here to flee, in the first place.

I will respond to Private Messages, as they "ping" my phone via email when I receive one, and anyone who wants to add me on Facebook in order to keep in touch, just send me a PM and I'll give you my info.

I wish peace to you all, and keep fighting the good fight, as Saul of Tarsus once said.

Wait for a day while we discuss more in admin. Heart

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
24-08-2016, 08:09 PM
(24-08-2016 08:06 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Even if he did mean to be sinister, so what?

I call Dick. The golden rule: Do not be a dick.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post