Can Privatized Prisons Work?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-08-2016, 08:11 PM
RE: Can Privatized Prisons Work?
Quote:That is their right, and while I respect that decision, I am afraid I must withdraw from this forum after all.

That's fucking stupid.
Why are you so hung up on what this dick said? He's some nobody from some place on the internet with a user name based after the sexual act of putting a dick in your mouth.
Instead of hiding away IMO it would better for you personally to.. and how do I say this without sounding like a dick? grow a thicker skin.
And I mean that in the best way possible. I'm saying you're fine, you're a bit of okay and it doesn't mean shit what someone says and you sure as shit shouldn't let it dictate your actions.

If you wanna be here, be here.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like earmuffs's post
24-08-2016, 08:18 PM
(24-08-2016 08:07 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Imagine a forum where a troll came in and NOBODY responded to a single post. That would be pretty strange, for sure.

It would be refreshing. And not just in forums.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
24-08-2016, 08:21 PM
(24-08-2016 08:18 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(24-08-2016 08:07 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Imagine a forum where a troll came in and NOBODY responded to a single post. That would be pretty strange, for sure.

It would be refreshing. And not just in forums.

Never works. No

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-08-2016, 08:25 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2016 09:15 PM by Aliza.)
(24-08-2016 08:21 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-08-2016 08:18 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  It would be refreshing. And not just in forums.

Never works. No

I'd be prepared to do that to Blowjob. It would have to be a community effort, but I'm sure it would have an impact on his behavior if we can't get the mods to ban him.
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
24-08-2016, 08:51 PM
Quote:... a nebulous concept of absolute free speech over the protection of atheist members from abuse by the abusive religionists they come here to flee, in the first place.

Using RS's words to make a general statement.

A clarification for any newer members who may not be aware regarding the above:
Striking the balance between vigorous and, often, heated debate vs. a sanctuary is probably the biggest challenge for any forum like ours. Different people are here for different reasons (as many of the above comments exemplify).

Over the years and after quite a few lessons learned, we have established an evolved and occasionally shaky equilibrium which manifests thusly:

On one side, there is "The Heavy Stuff" section where things can get, well, y'know, heavy, sometimes. These are passively moderated and are managed by exception (i.e. by forum members using the Report Post function).

On the other side, there are actively moderated sections e.g. the Intros, the Boxing Ring and the Personal Issues and Support section. The latter being the main sanctuary (note the irony of that word) for protection against aggressors.

Please note that this thread is in The Heavy Stuff section.

(24-08-2016 08:06 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Alright I'll play devils advocate.
Firstly, can this thread be split? I felt I was making some good points about private prisons and I always enjoy a good opportunity to bash on America and their justice system is the perfect opportunity to do so.

I hear you but I would rather keep this one as is and ask you to start a new one in the Philosophy section called something like "Rational discussion on the viability and effectiveness of public vs. private institutions" as the principle goes beyond the prison system. Or call it "Tsk! Yankie prisons. WTF?" which would be more your style. Big Grin

(24-08-2016 08:06 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  ...
I dunno what all the fuse is about.

I have the same problem. I used my oven for the first time last week and all the electricity went out.

I'd prepared a whole chicken and loads of spuds ready for roasting. I had to fry everything in a wok, FFS!

[+] 12 users Like DLJ's post
24-08-2016, 09:16 PM
Good god heywood, you just can't keep yourself out of trouble can you. Confused

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
24-08-2016, 09:26 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2016 09:31 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
Update: I received another PM that says the mods have not yet decided, and that the restriction is a temporary measure pending further action, if it is deemed necessary. I shall, as requested, withhold my decision until they have made theirs.

Earmuffs, your analogy is not quite right. If someone fired off a random comment about a random story about a priest, by joking that perhaps he was imprisoned in the same manner as other priests have (or should have) been imprisoned for pedophilia, it'd be fine, even funny. If I was speaking personally to a priest who told me he was wrongfully incarcerated and then exonerated, and I immediately asked "Oh, you're a pedophile?", it is an entirely different scenario and would warrant my banning in any civilized place.

Telling me I should just "grow a thicker skin" is exactly the wrong thing to say. I suffer from severe PTSD as a result of my experiences, in which I was psychologically tortured with isolation in subhuman conditions, placed in a place where I could not sleep and had to listen to the screams and howls of the utterly insane in the nearby cells, smelling their urine and feces 24/7, and having police bang on my door as they passed by every few minutes, throughout the night... conditions so bad that four suicides occurred while I was there, in only six total cells, and watched as they carted the bodies away... for over two years, then repeated a few times after that every time I had to return to county jail for a hearing on my appeals procedure, all because I fought my case and didn't give them the information I didn't have, but that they were told I did by the ex.

Once I got to prison, I was not sent to a minimum or medium security facility as befitting my education level and nonviolent crime, but was sent to a place containing the worst of the worst, and managed to avoid being raped only because I've trained in martial arts since I was five and have military hand-to-hand combat training and conditioning... and the prison staff sent me to be charged with a new crime (which was dismissed the next day, after I sat overnight in an abysmal, barren jail holding cell that had a 6"x6" hole in the floor instead of a toilet) because of how badly I hurt my attacker. I was denied parole repeatedly, when I could have been out years before, because I would not "confess" to my crime. They would toss my cell in the most hostile manner possible (throwing everything everywhere, going through my stuff, putting fingers in my peanut butter, etc., as they do against only the most dangerous and hardened criminals who hide "shanks" in their cells for use in killing others, even though they knew I was never violent except in self-defense) every week that I was there, for years. Ever tried putting a stack of legal files back together after it has been thrown around a room?

I've not only had to watch people being stabbed, or having their skulls caved in by various methods, at point-blank range, but I've had to lie there in my bunk and listen to a neighbor kid I had befriended, who was not yet 19, being viciously raped by a thug, and who thereafter tried to kill himself and was permanently placed in isolation where he didn't even have a blanket or pants. I've seen dozens more things that, if any of you witnessed any one of them, would probably do long-term damage to your psyche, in addition to the terror of living in a place where any of that could happen to me at any time (which is the source of PTSD), requiring that I wake up at the slightest sound, ready for combat if my cell door slid open. I was transferred every few months after the first five years in, which resulted in a new fistfight at every new location because they always test newcomers to see if they can defend themselves or if they can be robbed of their possessions because they are too afraid to stand up for themselves. Usually, my attackers came three-deep, which is the standard for trying to force capitulation, and I wound up hurt very badly from the exchanges-- but I hurt them worse, and it caused others to leave me alone. I had enough skill at law that I was able to land a law library job that afforded me some protection against such attacks, but it didn't work when arriving at a new location where not enough people knew who and what I was. I still have the scars on my knuckles, and the patched holes in my back from where the screwdriver went into my skin (thankfully, they don't pierce very deeply before the shaft bends and they're ineffective entirely, and they didn't use a better shank). If you guys want to see the row of stab wounds on my back, I'll be glad to post them.

To this day, I can't sleep more than three hours at a time, and usually much less than that. I have to get on TTA until I calm down enough to try to get back to sleep-- that's why you see me posting in bursts throughout the middle of the night and early morning, US Central time. Every time I hear a sound, I spring wide awake, adrenaline pumping and eyes wide. I get short of breath around uniforms... which sucks because there's a prison just up the road from my town, and many of the guards live here, including in my apartment complex.

If I cannot rely on this place (TTA) being somewhere I can exercise my mind at the task of intellectual pursuits rather than PTSD-induced racing panic, to reduce rather than increase the adrenaline in my blood, then it is a detriment to my health.

I had hoped that a call for protection from my fellow atheists would have been enough. Instead, what I get is to "toughen up" and grow a thicker skin.

So let me fucking explain something to you, Muffs. You would last about ten minutes in the places I have been. Your mind would have been utterly broken by the things I have seen and experienced. I talk about it because it helps me to process the mountain of shit that has been stuffed into my head, but I'm not going to tolerate deliberate abuse which causes me to travel backward in my progress toward better mental health and recovery from the damage done to me.

So either the people here are willing to respect that and help to protect me, or they are not. I have asked for such protection and offered my conditions for remaining because that is my only choice. To say that I am just being overly sensitive is deeply insulting and disrespectful, though I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say that it was out of ignorance rather than malice.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 23 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
24-08-2016, 09:33 PM
I think privatized for-profit prisons, with their ability to lobby at at least the state level, can put pressure on to get more prison residents. This, to me, is a bad idea.

It makes me think of how judges suddenly get "tough on crime" when election time rolls around.
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
24-08-2016, 10:08 PM
It isn't a matter of thicker skin, Mr. Surgeon, it's a matter of a single worthless troll being capable, with typed words alone, of affecting you more powerfully than an entire audience here supporting, encouraging and loving you - it's watching a rogue rubber powered balsa toy derailing a hundred ton locomotive. Only you can gauge your emotional mettle and if you're affected so deeply that you must leave that's your call to make and we have to respect it. But my disappointment (and I'm sure everyone else's) would be profound that so trifling a pipsqueak can wield enough clout it negates the entirety all the support we give you.
[+] 3 users Like Airportkid's post
24-08-2016, 11:25 PM
John Oliver has done a few shows about the US prison system. This one speaks directly about private prisons.

[+] 5 users Like pablo's post