Can Society be too Liberal?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2015, 01:20 PM
RE: Can Society be too Liberal?
(17-03-2015 01:00 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Locks on your door also serve self-defence purposes and so do seat belts but no-one subscribes to locks or seatbelt magazines and have a view of themselves being a hero for owning and knowing how to use a seat belt.

There isn't a lock in my neighborhood that would give me more than two seconds' pause. The barrier they provide is, in the case of most standard locks, purely psychological.

What is the REAL reason people choose not to simply kick those doors down and enter at will?

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
17-03-2015, 01:26 PM
(17-03-2015 01:00 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(16-03-2015 08:59 AM)Blackout Wrote:  Guns are supposed to serve self-defence purposes.
Only in some people's minds.
Those people tend to get excited about guns, subscribe to gun magazines, own a dozen or more guns, have a view of themselves as being a hero of sorts.

Locks on your door also serve self-defence purposes and so do seat belts but no-one subscribes to locks or seatbelt magazines and have a view of themselves being a hero for owning and knowing how to use a seat belt.

And yet, there is a whole industry devoted to locks, a whole trad of lock smithing with magazines and conferences and everything.

So, yes, people do subscribe to magazines about locks.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-03-2015, 02:31 PM
(17-03-2015 01:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  And yet, there is a whole industry devoted to locks, a whole trad of lock smithing with magazines and conferences and everything.

I was obviously talking about the consumer market rather than the inventors and manufacturers. But nice deflection.
Why is it that consumers don't subscribe to door lock, seat belt, cycle helmet, safety glasses magazines?
My guess would be that self protection is a chore, a mundane, tedious, but important chore. It doesn't exactly inspire the imagination and get the adrenaline going.
So, by my thinking, it isn't because of the self protection aspect of guns that make people enthusiastic.
17-03-2015, 02:38 PM
(17-03-2015 01:20 PM)yakherder Wrote:  What is the REAL reason people choose not to simply kick those doors down and enter at will?
The real reason is probably because people would prefer to live their own lives rather that to aggressively attack others and in the process put themselves at risk. The vast majority of people don't kick doors down. I have never had my door kicked down, I don't know anyone who has had their door kicked down.

I'm sure it happens, but it's an unlikely event. Of course, if you carry out criminal activities then the police might knock your door down. Or if you screw over some hardened crims then they might knock your door down too. My life is far too mundain to be worried about people knocking my door down.
17-03-2015, 02:43 PM
(17-03-2015 02:31 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(17-03-2015 01:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  And yet, there is a whole industry devoted to locks, a whole trad of lock smithing with magazines and conferences and everything.

I was obviously talking about the consumer market rather than the inventors and manufacturers. But nice deflection.
Why is it that consumers don't subscribe to door lock, seat belt, cycle helmet, safety glasses magazines?
My guess would be that self protection is a chore, a mundane, tedious, but important chore. It doesn't exactly inspire the imagination and get the adrenaline going.
So, by my thinking, it isn't because of the self protection aspect of guns that make people enthusiastic.

Actually, there are many hobbyist locksmiths and they do subscribe to locksmithing magazines. The same for watch magazines, gun magazines, furniture making magazines, and so on.

Firearms enthusiasts come in several (overlapping) varieties. There are collectors of various kinds (military, historic, manufacture, type of arm, etc.), amateur gunsmiths, survivalists, hunters, as well as people interested in self-defense.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-03-2015, 02:57 PM
Collector. Check
Amateur gunsmith. Check
Survivalist. God I hope it doesn't become necessary.
Hunter. Check
Self-defense. Check

Target shooter. Check

4-1/2 out of 5 plus 1. Guess that puts me into the nut category...

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
17-03-2015, 03:20 PM
(17-03-2015 02:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  Actually, there are many hobbyist locksmiths and they do subscribe to locksmithing magazines. The same for watch magazines, gun magazines, furniture making magazines, and so on.

Firearms enthusiasts come in several (overlapping) varieties. There are collectors of various kinds (military, historic, manufacture, type of arm, etc.), amateur gunsmiths, survivalists, hunters, as well as people interested in self-defense.
OK, fair enough.
I do however suspect that some (many?) people who claim that they are into guns for self-denfence are actually excited about guns because of the power and danger aspect. Not that it really matters why they are into it.
22-03-2015, 08:11 AM
Yes. Liberalism is great up to the point where it becomes self-destructive. When you have liberals supporting mass Islamic immigration that is leading to an influx of anti-liberal ideas then liberalism has come full circle and is destroying itself.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
24-03-2015, 12:48 AM
Any society that is strictly of one mind set has a recipe for failure.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post