Can We Become ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2014, 10:03 AM
Can We Become ...
... a charitable organization?

I mean, it's one thing to donate to The Thinking Atheist in an effort to keep the site financially secure and help to keep Seth rolling along with the good work he does in demonstrating the fallacy of religious beliefs, but what else can we- as The Thinking Atheist members- do in regards to humanitarian contributions?

Ideas anyone?

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2014, 10:58 AM
RE: Can We Become ...
There are already a lot of secular charities - see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sec...anizations

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
05-09-2014, 11:27 AM
(05-09-2014 10:58 AM)Dom Wrote:  There are already a lot of secular charities - see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sec...anizations

Well, that's weird ... Consider I didn't see Beyond Belief anywhere on that page ... ?

Here's a link to Foundation Beyond Belief. I think Seth has asked for donations to them just recently.

Another organization supported on a continuing basis by many atheist groups has been Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders

Both are extremely good organizations.

Also, since the idea is essentially to "represent" the contribution of the secular community as an individual, one might simply act locally: help out at a food pantry or a homeless shelter... these facilities are often in need of extra help, especially in the winter months. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
05-09-2014, 11:37 AM
I agree that those are all fine charities, however I was thinking of something uniquely our own.

For example, we have many fine young atheists here with very bright minds. Many of them continue on with their education, which we all know is expensive. So I was thinking of something a long the lines of a scholarship fund that would be awarded by The Thinking Atheist to perhaps one or two young members per year?

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
05-09-2014, 02:29 PM
(05-09-2014 11:37 AM)Free Wrote:  I agree that those are all fine charities, however I was thinking of something uniquely our own.

For example, we have many fine young atheists here with very bright minds. Many of them continue on with their education, which we all know is expensive. So I was thinking of something a long the lines of a scholarship fund that would be awarded by The Thinking Atheist to perhaps one or two young members per year?

I think that this is a wonderful idea. Charities for people trying to pay their way through school are few and far between.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!