Can a conservative be an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2017, 02:08 PM
Can a conservative be an atheist?
Just wondering...many prominent atheist that I observe online or follow tend to be liberal with progressive ideas. Not taking into account the fact that a majority of conservatives are religious, do you by necessity, have to be more liberal than conservative to be an atheist?

Maybe I'm not as conservative as I thought I was, but I believe in small government, less regulations, fewer entitlements, personal responsibility, lower personal/corporate taxes, strong national defense, stricter border and immigration enforcement, a free market (capitalism) and other standard core conservative beliefs. However, I also believe in some traditional liberal values including gay rights (same-sex marriage), a woman's right to choose, the right to euthanasia, legalizing drugs, and some others.

People that I admire like Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins and others seem to fall squarely in the liberal camp, but I can't find it in myself to join them in the majority of their political beliefs. I feel a bit like a fish out of water.

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like reeveseb's post
10-08-2017, 02:28 PM
RE: Can a conservative be an atheist?
I can't think of any present-day celebrities who are both conservative and atheist, but we have several such people on the forum -- Lord Dark Helmet, KUSA, Backslider, and probably a few others.

If we include dead people, Ayn Rand, who is a sort of patron saint of Libertarians (who tend to be conservative) was an atheist, and I would expect that many of her present-day followers also are.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
10-08-2017, 02:28 PM
(10-08-2017 02:08 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  do you by necessity, have to be more liberal than conservative to be an atheist?

Yep, it's in the top five requirements. You even have to pass an exam on the core progressive doctrines and then we start every day by saying the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag. Anyone who misremembers a word has to do ten Hail Lockes Drinking Beverage

[Image: redflagbig2.gif?w=656&h=300&crop=1]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 11 users Like Vera's post
10-08-2017, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2017 02:36 PM by epronovost.)
@reeveseb

There are several atheists who also happen to be conservative from Ayn Rand to a host of more less well known atheist activists and ''Youtube semi-celebrities''. One must also note that Sam Harris is generally considered much right-leaning than your casual atheist. As for your position on politic, at least two members on this forum shares your point of view. usually, in North America, atheism is linked to a certain sense of non-comformism, thus a rejection of authoritarian tendencies like the primacy of Law and Order and corporate power. This might explain why you tend to feel a bit ''alone'' in your position. Of course, that doesn't make you ''better or worse'' atheist or person. It just makes you different. For your personnal interest in the spirit of full disclosure a pretty much oppose your opinion when it comes to government size, entitlements, personal responsability (or at least how its framed by mainstrean conservatives), income and corporate taxes, national defense, immigration, free market. Feel free to take this into account when reading my post and welcome abord, I hope you will find what you seek in our little community.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
10-08-2017, 02:43 PM
(10-08-2017 02:08 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  Just wondering...many prominent atheist that I observe online or follow tend to be liberal with progressive ideas. Not taking into account the fact that a majority of conservatives are religious, do you by necessity, have to be more liberal than conservative to be an atheist?

You just have to be able to break indoctrination, so no you don't have to be more liberal than conservative.

Quote: Maybe I'm not as conservative as I thought I was, but I believe in small government, less regulations, fewer entitlements, personal responsibility, lower personal/corporate taxes, strong national defense, stricter border and immigration enforcement, a free market (capitalism) and other standard core conservative beliefs.

I doubt that personal responsibility is conservative value, as in one doesn't have to be conservative for have it.

Quote: However, I also believe in some traditional liberal values including gay rights (same-sex marriage), a woman's right to choose, the right to euthanasia, legalizing drugs, and some others.

I would call them "not being authoritarian clown" values. One doesn't have to be liberal to keep one nose from other people lives.

Quote: People that I admire like Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins and others seem to fall squarely in the liberal camp, but I can't find it in myself to join them in the majority of their political beliefs. I feel a bit like a fish out of water.

Then do not join them. What atheists have in common is absence of belief, nothing more is needed. I like Dawkins and Harris books but I don't give a shit about their political stance. Why should I?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 6 users Like Szuchow's post
10-08-2017, 02:43 PM
Welcome Smile

Indoctrination is on Tuesdays so you'll have to wait for next week before we can give you your badge - we have to make sure you understand Marxist-Leninist thought properly. But we can give you a gold star if you'll take the pledge of non-violence *and* you get extra sparkles if you support post-natal abortion.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
10-08-2017, 02:50 PM
(10-08-2017 02:43 PM)morondog Wrote:  Welcome Smile

Indoctrination is on Tuesdays so you'll have to wait for next week before we can give you your badge - we have to make sure you understand Marxist-Leninist thought properly. But we can give you a gold star if you'll take the pledge of non-violence *and* you get extra sparkles if you support post-natal abortion.

I don't think that understanding Marxist-leninist thought is necessary for mere comrades, like us or new initiate. More than that I don't think that it is possible, given such gems of Great Lenin thought like "communism is electrification plus rule of Soviets".

So let's stick with rote repetition. Less risk of heresy that way.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
10-08-2017, 02:50 PM
Smaller government? As in an absolute monarchy?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 6 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
10-08-2017, 02:56 PM
This is just my Catholic opinion, but while a lot of atheists I encounter tend to lean "liberal", I fail to see why there can't be atheists who lean "conservative". Atheism is, after all, just a lack of belief in a deity.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
10-08-2017, 03:07 PM
(10-08-2017 02:50 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  So let's stick with rote repetition. Less risk of heresy that way.

I thought that was Marxist-Leninist thought Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.