Can a conservative be an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2017, 11:46 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2017 11:49 AM by ResidentEvilFan.)
RE: Can a conservative be an atheist?
You definitely don't have to be liberal to be an atheist.

Having said that, I have a hard time seeing how an atheist can support the Republican Party with them being joined at the hip with the Religious Right, and the sheer amount of pandering they do to them. I can get having right leaning ideas when it comes to the government, but I don't know how to get pass the religious crap and by extension a lot of anti-science stances.

I don't really consider myself "left wing" but I can in no way support a party that blantanly panders to the group that thinks talking to the invisible sky wizard is the best thing a citizen can do for the country.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
11-08-2017, 11:49 AM
(11-08-2017 11:44 AM)reeveseb Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 11:10 AM)Anjele Wrote:  My dad was also atheist and Republican...

Why is it so hard for some to understand that the only thing we (atheists) all have in common is a lack of belief in a god or gods...the concept isn't that difficult.

The question was meant to be more of a conversation starter, not a serious yes or no question. Of course they can be, but in my experience it is unusual. Just wanted to talk about it. As Vera so clearly (rhetorically) pondered, "Can a blues fan be an atheist? Can a blue-eyed person be an atheist? Can a javelin thrower be an atheist?" The concept is not difficult. Perhaps I would have done better to phrase my question in a slightly better way.

Additionally, as all good conversations should, I did realize that I don't fit into the conservative label as it is traditionally understood. I have many views that combined don't fall under any one label. Lots of great opinions here. Love it!

Conversation means that I can give a yes/no answer. How I respond isn't something you can, or should, try to dictate.

Slow down Skippy and get to know some of us before you decide to take charge.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
11-08-2017, 12:04 PM
(11-08-2017 09:23 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 09:16 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  My my. That was a short six months. Liar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_R...tunity_Act

Part of Clinton's campaign was "end welfare as we know it", which was a growing NATIONAL consensus. Unlike your fool in the White House today, who can't do anything he said he would, and in fact is SO FUCKING STUPID he thinks all he does is say "do it" and it magically happens, Clinton actually was an integral part of the dialogue, and KNEW something about it, as he was a governor. He promised it, and it got signed, and then the country under him went on to have the only surplus in recent memory.

Just because Clinton wanted welfare reform doesn't mean he had anything to do with the bill that got signed into law. The bill as passed was authored by a republican. Passed by nearly all republicans. Rejected by most democrats. Signed by Bill Clinton due to public pressure (he vetoed earlier versions twice and polls were showing public backlash). If he would have vetoed it a third time he probably wouldn't have won a 2nd term.

That tiresome partisan sparring again. Facepalm

Here's an idea:

Why don't we find the top 10 things that are very important to most of the people.

Then each of these items gets a "political" party. There will be the jobs party, the defense party, the budget party, the peace party and so on.

How's that for a system?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-08-2017, 02:09 PM
(11-08-2017 12:04 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 09:23 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Just because Clinton wanted welfare reform doesn't mean he had anything to do with the bill that got signed into law. The bill as passed was authored by a republican. Passed by nearly all republicans. Rejected by most democrats. Signed by Bill Clinton due to public pressure (he vetoed earlier versions twice and polls were showing public backlash). If he would have vetoed it a third time he probably wouldn't have won a 2nd term.

That tiresome partisan sparring again. Facepalm

Here's an idea:

Why don't we find the top 10 things that are very important to most of the people.

Then each of these items gets a "political" party. There will be the jobs party, the defense party, the budget party, the peace party and so on.

How's that for a system?

I bags being leader of the sex party. All rise...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-08-2017, 02:44 PM
(11-08-2017 02:09 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 12:04 PM)Dom Wrote:  That tiresome partisan sparring again. Facepalm

Here's an idea:

How's that for a system?

I bags being leader of the sex party. All rise...

No sex parties allowed! Lecture_preist

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-08-2017, 03:06 PM
(11-08-2017 02:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 02:09 PM)morondog Wrote:  I bags being leader of the sex party. All rise...

No sex parties allowed! Lecture_preist

But we've already held a general erection Laughat

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
11-08-2017, 03:12 PM
(11-08-2017 03:06 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 02:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  No sex parties allowed! Lecture_preist

But we've already held a general erection Laughat

Well, in that case..... Girl_nails

[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
11-08-2017, 05:24 PM
(10-08-2017 05:28 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(10-08-2017 05:20 PM)Dr H Wrote:  In fact, it's existential. Smile

It seems like there is a pun or some kind of innuendo in there that my proper-sleep-starved brain is not getting right now Smile

Nothing subtle: existentialists, particularly the early ones, are/were reluctant to label things, including themselves. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
11-08-2017, 05:34 PM
(10-08-2017 06:06 PM)Lackluster Wrote:  And I never said there weren't. Just shining a light on the left's recent tendency not to be equal-opportunity criticizers when it comes to Islam. Criticism of problems within Christianity (especially white male) = progressive/enlightened. Criticism of the same types of problems within Islamic culture = racist/bigoted/"Islamophobic". Look no further than Justin "Hair Boy" Trudeau's attempts to litigate criticism of Islam illegal in Canada (bill M106), or Richard Dawkins' deplatforming at Berkeley for daring to bring up these issues within Islam. The left is slowly starting to eat itself with it's cultural-marxist bent. The far-left's ridiculousness, I believe, has been instrumental in the rise of Trump. You can't expose the absurdities of people like Trump and other ludicrous figures like him when your side is thinking and behaving 10-times more idiotic. This very opinion has been expressed by such public intellectuals Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, Gad Saad, Jordan Peterson, and others.

There are loons on the far right and loons on the far left; the existence of one set doesn't excuse or justify the beliefs or actions of the other.

The real left in America died with Vietnam. What gets called "the left" these days consists mainly of confused democrats and revolutionary wannabes with ADHA as far as their focus on issues is concerned.

[Glad to see you still posting, BTW.]

--
Dr H

11-08-2017, 05:45 PM
(10-08-2017 06:45 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Man, I could have scripted how this would go, simply based on the thread title. How about we have a rational discussion, maybe provide less straw and vitriol? Did anyone know that dripping vitriol on straw will cause a fire?

To the OP- ad hominem attacks are allowed, it's right there in the introductory info. [shrug] Maybe take it to the "Boxing Ring" so you only have to take on one comer at a time, so that you aren't inundated by many posters sniping from many directions?

I started a thread with a similar theme in the Amazon forum last year, with the slight difference that I knew there were conservative atheists, and was just trying to find out who they were in the forum.

The discussion did get rather heated -- within the limits of Amazon's very strict, yet very vague guidelines, anyway.
And then, somehow, a bunch of us ended up talking about classical music, and relocated to a different forum.

Go figure. Huh

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post