Can a conservative be an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2017, 05:51 PM
RE: Can a conservative be an atheist?
(10-08-2017 07:38 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  I'm talking about the guy in California who was asked why he stays in welfare. He responded saying it's all he really needed and he wouldn't be able to surf and hang out with his friends if he got a job. Another one who said she doesn't feel like she should have to work because she's an artist and people should take care of her so she can continue exploring her "talents".
You do realize that one or two anecdotal accounts -- or even a dozen of them -- don't give you much of a handle on any real statistics as to who is using the welfare system, how they are using it, and what their needs are?

There have been lazy people everywhere I have ever worked.
It wasn't the majority of us, else the businesses would have failed.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
11-08-2017, 05:58 PM
(11-08-2017 09:16 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  and then the country under him [Clinton] went on to have the only surplus in recent memory.

Immediately squandered by the subsequent administration.

--
Dr H

11-08-2017, 06:01 PM
(11-08-2017 09:31 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  I think part of it has to do with the circumstances under which one becomes an atheist. In large swaths of the country you just grow up in areas that are Christian and conservative. What makes one person in places like that become an atheist and a thousand others don't? (In my case it was intelligence, a magnetic personality, and stunning good looks, but I mean, you know, for other people.)

In my case it was that my parents actually taught me to think for myself, poor sods.
Man, did that ever come back to bite them on the ass. Tongue

--
Dr H

11-08-2017, 06:15 PM
(10-08-2017 02:08 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  Just wondering...many prominent atheist that I observe online or follow tend to be liberal with progressive ideas. Not taking into account the fact that a majority of conservatives are religious, do you by necessity, have to be more liberal than conservative to be an atheist?

Maybe I'm not as conservative as I thought I was, but I believe in small government, less regulations, fewer entitlements, personal responsibility, lower personal/corporate taxes, strong national defense, stricter border and immigration enforcement, a free market (capitalism) and other standard core conservative beliefs. However, I also believe in some traditional liberal values including gay rights (same-sex marriage), a woman's right to choose, the right to euthanasia, legalizing drugs, and some others.

People that I admire like Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins and others seem to fall squarely in the liberal camp, but I can't find it in myself to join them in the majority of their political beliefs. I feel a bit like a fish out of water.

Dont confuse social issues with wallet issues. I will admit that the reason dems have lost for the past 45 years is because of Nixion's successful southern strategy and Falwell's bullshit "Moral Majority".

Small government ONLY WORKS when those at the top self regulate in the private sector. But, because humans seek power word wide you cannot solely rely on government to be fair to all classes.

Che sold the Cuban revolutionaries the idea of a utopia and that simply lead to Castro. Gadaffi convinced Libya to follow him. It is a myth that either Gadaffi or Fidel were poor. Fidel had an estimated 800,000,000$ wealth by the time he left office. Gadaffi was a BILLIONAIRE who owned stock in GE.

The Saudi Royal government owns oil companies and invests in banks and the global weapons industry.

The argument should not be about small or big, but anti monopoly because that is what Castro and Gaddaffi had.

I'd say if you want more off of the government dime the best charity are livable wages that meet the cost of living.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2017, 06:16 PM
(11-08-2017 11:10 AM)Anjele Wrote:  My dad was also atheist and Republican...

Why is it so hard for some to understand that the only thing we (atheists) all have in common is a lack of belief in a god or gods...the concept isn't that difficult.

Some people do seem to have difficulty dealing with that.

But there may be a perception drawn from participation in on-line fora at work there, as well. I've participated in a number of centrally or tangentially atheist discussion groups over the years, and all but one of them evidenced a decidedly leftist bent among most participants. TTA is by far one of the most diverse I've landed in, but even here, after six months, I seem to detect a decided list to port. Smile

Exactly why that is, is anybody's guess. It may well be that those with liberal views are more drawn to internet discussions and those with conservative views prefer to shoot the breeze in bars, pool halls, and Moose lodges. Or it may be a misimpression of my own, resulting from an unconscious tendency towards certain kinds of associations, although I do try to move in different circles as opportunity allows.

Or... I suppose it could be the work of SATAN!!! Evil_monster

Big Grin

--
Dr H

11-08-2017, 06:19 PM
(11-08-2017 11:44 AM)reeveseb Wrote:  As Vera so clearly (rhetorically) pondered, "Can a blues fan be an atheist?
Yes.

Quote:Can a blue-eyed person be an atheist?
Of course.

Quote:Can a javelin thrower be an atheist?"
Absolutely not. Ridiculous to even think about it.

Wink

--
Dr H

[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
11-08-2017, 06:21 PM
(11-08-2017 12:04 PM)Dom Wrote:  Here's an idea:

Why don't we find the top 10 things that are very important to most of the people.

Then each of these items gets a "political" party. There will be the jobs party, the defense party, the budget party, the peace party and so on.

How's that for a system?

So long as one of those is the "party party", you've got my support.

--
Dr H

11-08-2017, 06:36 PM
(11-08-2017 06:16 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 11:10 AM)Anjele Wrote:  My dad was also atheist and Republican...

Why is it so hard for some to understand that the only thing we (atheists) all have in common is a lack of belief in a god or gods...the concept isn't that difficult.

Some people do seem to have difficulty dealing with that.

But there may be a perception drawn from participation in on-line fora at work there, as well. I've participated in a number of centrally or tangentially atheist discussion groups over the years, and all but one of them evidenced a decidedly leftist bent among most participants. TTA is by far one of the most diverse I've landed in, but even here, after six months, I seem to detect a decided list to port. Smile

Exactly why that is, is anybody's guess. It may well be that those with liberal views are more drawn to internet discussions and those with conservative views prefer to shoot the breeze in bars, pool halls, and Moose lodges. Or it may be a misimpression of my own, resulting from an unconscious tendency towards certain kinds of associations, although I do try to move in different circles as opportunity allows.

Or... I suppose it could be the work of SATAN!!! Evil_monster

Big Grin

To claim or even suggest that liberals use the internet more than conservatives is utter bullshit.

The internet is worldwide. So you would also have to accuse the Chinese of being liberals too, and as a liberal I call bullshit because I would not call their one party state liberal.

If one wants to talk about this website here as a single sample that is one thing. But if one agrees that all that "atheist" means is off, then to suggest on a grand scale atheists, much less liberal theists dominate the internet is absurd.

I most certainly DO NOT like the economic views of conservatives and yes even atheists can be economic conservatives. But to suggest any form of media is dominated by left or right is absurd.

A liberal media CEO and a Conservative media CEO all have the same bottom line in mind. PROFITS. The only difference outside wallet issues are social issues.

I would say to economic conservative atheists YES we do have the same common "off" but if you expect me to value Ayn Rand and her bullshit Atlas Shrugged view then to me you are no better than Paul Ryan who is a Christian who likes her economic views.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2017, 06:37 PM
(11-08-2017 06:21 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(11-08-2017 12:04 PM)Dom Wrote:  Here's an idea:

Why don't we find the top 10 things that are very important to most of the people.

Then each of these items gets a "political" party. There will be the jobs party, the defense party, the budget party, the peace party and so on.

How's that for a system?

So long as one of those is the "party party", you've got my support.

Does that have to be in addition to morondog's sex party?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-08-2017, 06:44 PM
(11-08-2017 06:19 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
Quote:Can a javelin thrower be an atheist?"
Absolutely not. Ridiculous to even think about it.

Shows how much you know. Seeing as he's Finnish I'm willing to bet my immortal soul, that he *is* atheist Drinking Beverage

[Image: tero-pitkamaki-and-nike-profile.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post