Can a conservative be an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2017, 04:57 PM
RE: Can a conservative be an atheist?
(10-08-2017 04:29 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  Personal responsibility is a cornerstone of a successful nation. The more dependent we are on government, the more intrusive they're going to become. Those who don't pull their weight because they are lazy and allow others to take care of them by the force of a gun (government) are parasites. There are legitimate cases where people need help. But is it the government's responsibility? Plenty of charities offer hands up to those in need. I just don't believe people should be rewarded for choosing to take and not give.
Some things - structural poverty, mass lack of education - are best addressed by government schemes. Charities can't go far enough. There are direct negative consequences for all sectors of society for example from mass unemployment - crime rates go up, homelessness goes up, in the worst case mass starvation, disease... these are social problems and government has a responsibility to fix them. You can't see poor people simply as lazy, surely? If you're a low-class, uneducated person stuck in either a dead-end job or unemployed, there aren't a lot of options out there to give back to society. You guys in the US have the world's largest economy and one of the largest per capita incomes but you still manage to have dire poverty. That's a ringing indictment of your system. You can do better.

Quote:According to a 2016 study by the Urban Institute, teenagers in low income communities are often forced to join gangs, save school lunches, sell drugs or exchange sexual favors because they cannot afford food.
^^ That's YOUR country man.

Quote:Climate change is happening, I agree with that. But I believe the Earth cycles and man has little if anything to do with it. I think if all emissions disappeared and all regulations we're enacted, it wouldn't have an impact. The Earth has cycled through hot and cold several times and it will again long after humans have been gone. That's just my opinion though. I've certainly been wrong before!!!
Certainly several climate scientists seem to agree that not only are we the cause of the current global warming trend, but that we can mitigate our impact and possibly avoid the worst case scenarios.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
10-08-2017, 05:01 PM
(10-08-2017 04:29 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  Climate change is happening, I agree with that. But I believe the Earth cycles and man has little if anything to do with it.

God, how *do* they find us? Do we have a sign on our backs or something...

[Image: tenor.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
10-08-2017, 05:09 PM
(10-08-2017 02:08 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  Just wondering...many prominent atheist that I observe online or follow tend to be liberal with progressive ideas. Not taking into account the fact that a majority of conservatives are religious, do you by necessity, have to be more liberal than conservative to be an atheist?
That may be the self-selecting nature of internet forum participation.

No reason that conservatives can't be atheists, or vice-versa. I know several conservative atheists.

Quote:Maybe I'm not as conservative as I thought I was, but I believe in small government, less regulations, fewer entitlements, personal responsibility, lower personal/corporate taxes, strong national defense, stricter border and immigration enforcement, a free market (capitalism) and other standard core conservative beliefs. However, I also believe in some traditional liberal values including gay rights (same-sex marriage), a woman's right to choose, the right to euthanasia, legalizing drugs, and some others.

People that I admire like Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins and others seem to fall squarely in the liberal camp, but I can't find it in myself to join them in the majority of their political beliefs. I feel a bit like a fish out of water.

A lot of people would group Hitchens with the conservatives.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
10-08-2017, 05:17 PM
(10-08-2017 05:01 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(10-08-2017 04:29 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  Climate change is happening, I agree with that. But I believe the Earth cycles and man has little if anything to do with it.

God, how *do* they find us? Do we have a sign on our backs or something...

That's funny because I think the very same thing every time I hear 'cis' and other trigger words from our oh so funny YouTube SJW stars, and others who jumped on that bandwagon of lunacy.

Love the GIF by the way...Mary Poppins is one of my favorites!!!

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
10-08-2017, 05:19 PM
(10-08-2017 04:37 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  You're right. I guess I was asking because I don't know many conservative atheists. Probably because the vast majority of conservatives are religious, at least in my experience.

This is just speculation on my part, but I would opine that perhaps there are more conservative atheists than we are generally aware of, because more of them are closeted. People tend to associate most with people who share at least some of their core views, which means liberals tend to flock with liberals and conservatives with conservatives. Much of what passes for the conservative population in America tends to put a lot of emphasis on religion and religious values. An atheist in that context may have a harder time gaining peer acceptance, and may therefore be more reluctant to "come out" as a atheist, than one who moves in more liberal circles.

--
Dr H

[+] 4 users Like Dr H's post
10-08-2017, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2017 05:23 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(10-08-2017 04:29 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  Personal responsibility is a cornerstone of a successful nation. The more dependent we are on government, the more intrusive they're going to become. Those who don't pull their weight because they are lazy and allow others to take care of them by the force of a gun (government) are parasites. There are legitimate cases where people need help. But is it the government's responsibility? Plenty of charities offer hands up to those in need. I just don't believe people should be rewarded for choosing to take and not give.

Climate change is happening, I agree with that. But I believe the Earth cycles and man has little if anything to do with it. I think if all emissions disappeared and all regulations we're enacted, it wouldn't have an impact. The Earth has cycled through hot and cold several times and it will again long after humans have been gone. That's just my opinion though. I've certainly been wrong before!!!

Your beliefs about the environment are refuted by science.
http://www.ucsusa.org/our-work/global-wa...YzqXVGGOM8
http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/sci...Yzqh1GGOM8
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_...ate_change
http://www.edf.org/climate/9-ways-we-kno...ate-change
http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-w...ediate.htm

How many people do you actually *know* who are "free-loading" on society, and if not, where do you get your information ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-08-2017, 05:20 PM
(10-08-2017 04:46 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  It always amuses me when Americans think they must put labels on themselves because they only have two political parties. Conservative or liberal, right or left, black or white. You know, you can have your own opinions and no labels. You don't have to conform to a single ideology. Is it that scary?

In fact, it's existential. Smile

--
Dr H

10-08-2017, 05:27 PM
(10-08-2017 05:17 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  That's funny because I think the very same thing every time I hear 'cis' and other trigger words from our oh so funny YouTube SJW stars, and others who jumped on that bandwagon of lunacy.

Don't tell me - you're one of those who think cuck is the most offensive thing they can hurl at them nasty feminist SJW and other vermin. Drinking Beverage

Like I said, do we have a sign on our backs or what is it

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
10-08-2017, 05:28 PM
(10-08-2017 05:20 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(10-08-2017 04:46 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  It always amuses me when Americans think they must put labels on themselves because they only have two political parties. Conservative or liberal, right or left, black or white. You know, you can have your own opinions and no labels. You don't have to conform to a single ideology. Is it that scary?

In fact, it's existential. Smile

It seems like there is a pun or some kind of innuendo in there that my proper-sleep-starved brain is not getting right now Smile

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
10-08-2017, 05:33 PM
(10-08-2017 05:27 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(10-08-2017 05:17 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  That's funny because I think the very same thing every time I hear 'cis' and other trigger words from our oh so funny YouTube SJW stars, and others who jumped on that bandwagon of lunacy.

Don't tell me - you're one of those who think cuck is the most offensive thing they can hurl at them nasty feminist SJW and other vermin. Drinking Beverage

Like I said, do we have a sign on our backs or what is it

I'd like to be offended, but I'm not even sure what cuck means. And I love women. I love feminists. I just disagree with militant feminists who try to start fights wherever they go. You're free to do it, but is it really necessary to be so vitriolic all of the time?

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.