Can a conservative be an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2017, 06:25 PM
RE: Can a conservative be an atheist?
(10-08-2017 06:19 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(10-08-2017 06:14 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  My wife and daughter, yup! And my mother and sister and grandmother. All respected and to whom I owe much for raising me to be a cis white male, entitled, with so much privilege that it's really making me feel guilty for being born this way. Mayhaps they should have covered my face with a pillow in my crib. Who knows?

Ouch, such burning wit! Let me put some balm on that sting. Drinking Beverage

See? I didn't come looking to pick a fight with you. Your first comment on this thread was vitriolic (I like that word). It just continues without a break, toward me anyway. I know you have the ability to have a rational conversation as I witnessed first hand the help you gave for quoting text in replies. Nobody likes being attacked, and not too many people like being mocked. It makes people defensive. You probably have some very valid points worth debating. But how do you get to that point by being sarcastic and mean-spirited?

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes reeveseb's post
10-08-2017, 06:29 PM
(10-08-2017 06:25 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  
(10-08-2017 06:19 PM)Vera Wrote:  Ouch, such burning wit! Let me put some balm on that sting. Drinking Beverage

See? I didn't come looking to pick a fight with you. Your first comment on this thread was vitriolic (I like that word). It just continues without a break, toward me anyway. I know you have the ability to have a rational conversation as I witnessed first hand the help you gave for quoting text in replies. Nobody likes being attacked, and not too many people like being mocked. It makes people defensive. You probably have some very valid points worth debating. But how do you get to that point by being sarcastic and mean-spirited?

Popcorn

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
10-08-2017, 06:33 PM
(10-08-2017 04:28 PM)Vera Wrote:  Ah, yeah, the horrific plight of the cis white 'murrican. My heart bleeds for him. Drinking Beverage
According to people like you, we white males are just supposed to commit suicide to appease every other culture or else we're being "racist", "sexist", and every other kind of "ist". We can't have any pride for who we are or it's "white supremacy" or "racism". I mean, never mind that black on black crime is astronomically disproportionate in this country, or that muslims beat their women for unveiling themselves or trying to learn to read. White, male, American's are the racist, sexist, imperialist, pigs! Opinions like yours is why some people tend to use the word "cuck" to describe opinions like this (not a word I use btw). We white people are just supposed to shut up and let everyone else come in and take over, ignore the fact that we have any identity or culture at all, let them all but replace our culture with theirs, and if we so much as think otherwise, it's "bigotry". Essentially like a man watching some other guy come into his bedroom and bang his wife.

I don't care if I sound like a racist to these retards at this point. If your opinions weren't so regressive I wouldn't have to resort to such tactics. As a white, male, American, I have a culture, and I have a heritage, and I have an identity too. Just like every other race, ethnicity, nationality, and culture does. I'm more than happy to be tolerant and welcoming to anyone else, but I'll be damned if I will be told that all the other cultures and ethnic groups out there are aloud to be vocally proud of their heritage and identity but I'm not. FUCK YOU! is what I say to that.
10-08-2017, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2017 06:42 PM by Vera.)
(10-08-2017 06:25 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  See? I didn't come looking to pick a fight with you. Your first comment on this thread was vitriolic (I like that word).

And I just love the word goggles. Makes me smile. Doesn't mean I get to make it mean anything I want it to. Drinking Beverage

Quote:It just continues without a break, toward me anyway.

Do you want some of my balm for your hurt feewings? A tissue for your tears?

Quote:I know you have the ability to have a rational conversation as I witnessed first hand the help you gave for quoting text in replies.

Why, thank you for such warm praise. I'd been so worried I wasn't capable of rational conversation. Whew, what a relief.

Quote: Nobody likes being attacked, and not too many people like being mocked. It makes people defensive. You probably have some very valid points worth debating. But how do you get to that point by being sarcastic and mean-spirited?

Nothing worth debating with someone who has an "opinion" on climate change that he thinks should be taken as seriously as that of actual experts. And one which has been thoroughly refuted and debunked. A thousands times.

Also precious little to debate with someone who comes posting an UTTERLY inane question, which is nothing more than a whine (why you no think like me, me no likey that most atheists are liberals), under a thin veneer of question. Can a blues fan be an atheist? Can a blue-eyed person be an atheist? Can a javelin thrower be an atheist? So many questions, not enough time Drinking Beverage

And for the record, this is not me being being mean. This is me being as derisive as the OP deserves.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
10-08-2017, 06:37 PM
(10-08-2017 06:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-08-2017 06:05 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  I'm not sure that the government made the Pixel I'm currently using. Or the Dell computer I used earlier to sign up for my Newbie status. Sure, government has it's place and I haven't disputed that. Just smaller and not so bloated and intrusive. Have you ever tried to collect on an invoice from DFAS for goods shipped? It's nearly impossible. And just because a civilian hired by the government invented the internet (as opposed to Al Gore), doesn't absolve them of their inefficiencies.

Sorry. I didn't know they had to be perfect.
Do you have actually lines between enough and "bloated" ? I thought not.
Apparently the answer to the question in the OP is "yes".
Now he IS a real conservative, not just someone who's cranky in a generally pissed-off mood, and likes to piss and moan constantly about everything that annoys them.
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/George-...id/596249/

It's also a really good word.

I didn't say they had to be perfect. I certainly am not. But at some point I feel a line should be drawn by the governed. How much is too much for taxes? When does it become too much? When they come into our bedrooms? When they dictate how many children we are authorized to have? When they decide who can live or die in a courtroom disregarding the wishes of family members? I am of the opinion the less government is better, to a point. Right now, it's too big (bloated) and wasteful.

I thought we might be in the same side, being a part of this community and I'm still very hopeful. It seems like I stoked a fire with some of you though, which honestly was completely unintentional. I'd like to have a conversation without name calling. I admit, I got sucked in briefly. Vera really knows how to goad, and I'm impressed! But I have no desire to fight. Just talk openly and respectfully. My original question was a valid question and I have received some very good feedback.

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
[+] 1 user Likes reeveseb's post
10-08-2017, 06:39 PM
(10-08-2017 06:33 PM)Lackluster Wrote:  According to people like you, we white males are just supposed to commit suicide

Says the person who came LYING he wanted to commit suicide because he isn't getting any. Not getting any from pretty women (even though women are nasty hypocrites), mind you, none of those desperate ones for me, on sirree Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
10-08-2017, 06:42 PM
(10-08-2017 06:17 PM)Vera Wrote:  You're very welcome. Smile You can even split it in chunks, if you want to comment on different segments separately. You just put [ / quote ] after the first chunk. Then [ quote ] [ / quote ] around the next one and on and on you go, making sure you close each [ quote ] that you open with a [ / quote ] Basically, you envelope the words you want to quote in [ quote ] and [ / quote ], like a virtual hug (or shackles... depending Rolleyes )

Also, when editing, the 4th icon from the right above the text window is "insert quoted text". Clicking that will insert a QUOTE tag and clicking again will insert a /QUOTE tag. If you select some text and click it the QUOTE and /QUOTE tags will be added around the selection. It can make editing a bit faster.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
10-08-2017, 06:45 PM
(10-08-2017 06:25 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  ...
toward me anyway.

Nah. Not just you.

This section of the forum comes under the category of The Heavy Stuff so it can get, well, heavy sometimes.

We have a diverse bunch here and many enjoy vigorous debate (with appropriate amounts of sulphuric acid). It can be a bit like running the gauntlet when you've just arrived.

Others prefer meandering discussions and sharing ideas, joining dots and we appreciate diversity of opinion.

If you are in the latter group I recommend avoiding the bait that's dangled in your direction... at least until you've got your feet under the table.

Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
(10-08-2017 06:37 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  My original question was a valid question and I have received some very good feedback.

I thought it was an interesting question and I'm still thinking about it. A bunch of times, a good thread doesn't even require a good op, people take ideas and run here and there with it. Today I learned that George Freaking Will is an atheist. Holy shit I would have lost a lot of money on a bet on that.
Man, I could have scripted how this would go, simply based on the thread title. How about we have a rational discussion, maybe provide less straw and vitriol? Did anyone know that dripping vitriol on straw will cause a fire?

To the OP- ad hominem attacks are allowed, it's right there in the introductory info. [shrug] Maybe take it to the "Boxing Ring" so you only have to take on one comer at a time, so that you aren't inundated by many posters sniping from many directions?
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post