Can a conservative be an atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2017, 06:49 PM
RE: Can a conservative be an atheist?
(10-08-2017 06:45 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Man, I could have scripted how this would go, simply based on the thread title. How about we have a rational discussion, maybe provide less straw and vitriol? Did anyone know that dripping vitriol on straw will cause a fire?

To the OP- ad hominem attacks are allowed, it's right there in the introductory info. [shrug] Maybe take it to the "Boxing Ring" so you only have to take on one comer at a time, so that you aren't inundated by many posters sniping from many directions?

Would you mind quoting ONE ad hominem/name calling in this thread, up until my post about there being nothing to discuss with people who deny that humans are behind climate change (because there really isn't anything to discuss)? I'll wait... Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2017, 07:04 PM
(10-08-2017 06:01 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  
(10-08-2017 05:35 PM)Dom Wrote:  Still wondering here what you plan to do with the "lazy" people, if anything.

Nothing. Tent cities, hovels, a deserted island? Why should we be forced at gunpoint to provided for those who are lazy?

Note that I put "lazy" in quotes. Not sure how you are going to actually determine whether someone is lazy.

I think I am lazy. I have always provided for myself, but I am a lazy cook, a lazy gardener, a lazy many things. I like being lazy. I like putting my feet up and having some coffee and reading a good book. I am not driven to be active all the time.

Now, I assume you don't mean me or my lazy compadres, but the "lazy" people you refer to are people on welfare? How will you figure out which ones are the lazy ones that deserve to die of famine and disease?

Nobody is (yet) forced to do things at gunpoint in this country, at least not legally.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
10-08-2017, 07:08 PM
(10-08-2017 07:04 PM)Dom Wrote:  ...
Nobody is (yet) forced to do things at gunpoint in this country, at least not legally.

Unless you are suspected of driving while black.

Angel

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
10-08-2017, 07:25 PM
(10-08-2017 06:49 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(10-08-2017 06:45 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Man, I could have scripted how this would go, simply based on the thread title. How about we have a rational discussion, maybe provide less straw and vitriol? Did anyone know that dripping vitriol on straw will cause a fire?

To the OP- ad hominem attacks are allowed, it's right there in the introductory info. [shrug] Maybe take it to the "Boxing Ring" so you only have to take on one comer at a time, so that you aren't inundated by many posters sniping from many directions?

Would you mind quoting ONE ad hominem/name calling in this thread, up until my post about there being nothing to discuss with people who deny that humans are behind climate change (because there really isn't anything to discuss)? I'll wait... Drinking Beverage

I'll leave it as an exercise for the student. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
10-08-2017, 07:38 PM
(10-08-2017 07:04 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(10-08-2017 06:01 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  Nothing. Tent cities, hovels, a deserted island? Why should we be forced at gunpoint to provided for those who are lazy?

Note that I put "lazy" in quotes. Not sure how you are going to actually determine whether someone is lazy.

I think I am lazy. I have always provided for myself, but I am a lazy cook, a lazy gardener, a lazy many things. I like being lazy. I like putting my feet up and having some coffee and reading a good book. I am not driven to be active all the time.

Now, I assume you don't mean me or my lazy compadres, but the "lazy" people you refer to are people on welfare? How will you figure out which ones are the lazy ones that deserve to die of famine and disease?

I get your point. But I don't think anyone reading that would mean someone who kicks back in a recliner after a long day at work to enjoy a beer. I'm talking about the guy in California who was asked why he stays in welfare. He responded saying it's all he really needed and he wouldn't be able to surf and hang out with his friends if he got a job. Another one who said she doesn't feel like she should have to work because she's an artist and people should take care of her so she can continue exploring her "talents". Determining who is or isn't "lazy" is somewhat of a problem, but one that I'm certain can be worked through. Maybe not to everyone's liking, but I think the majority could be persuaded. Welfare isn't supposed to be a lifetime of dependence. It's supposed to be a short-term hand up. Teach to fish.

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
[+] 2 users Like reeveseb's post
10-08-2017, 07:43 PM
(10-08-2017 07:04 PM)Dom Wrote:  Nobody is (yet) forced to do things at gunpoint in this country, at least not legally.

I would respectfully disagree with this statement. The taxes that are levied on us are enforceable via tax evasion laws. To me, that is force at gunpoint. If they come to arrest you and you disagree or resist, they will pull their guns and force you to go to jail. That's just one example. And it's completely legal.

10-08-2017, 07:44 PM
(10-08-2017 07:38 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  
(10-08-2017 07:04 PM)Dom Wrote:  Note that I put "lazy" in quotes. Not sure how you are going to actually determine whether someone is lazy.

I get your point. But I don't think anyone reading that would mean someone who kicks back in a recliner after a long day at work to enjoy a beer. I'm talking about the guy in California who was asked why he stays in welfare. He responded saying it's all he really needed and he wouldn't be able to surf and hang out with his friends if he got a job. Another one who said she doesn't feel like she should have to work because she's an artist and people should take care of her so she can continue exploring her "talents". Determining who is or isn't "lazy" is somewhat of a problem, but one that I'm certain can be worked through. Maybe not to everyone's liking, but I think the majority could be persuaded. Welfare isn't supposed to be a lifetime of dependence. It's supposed to be a short-term hand up. Teach to fish.

What it should be is training or re-training while being paid. Training finished one has to find a job. If necessary, the pay received while training can slowly be paid back from a paycheck.

But - letting people who fail just rot - not on my watch. The goal is not to starve the poor but to educate and employ.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
10-08-2017, 08:06 PM
(10-08-2017 06:39 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(10-08-2017 06:33 PM)Lackluster Wrote:  According to people like you, we white males are just supposed to commit suicide

Says the person who came LYING he wanted to commit suicide because he isn't getting any. Not getting any from pretty women (even though women are nasty hypocrites), mind you, none of those desperate ones for me, on sirree Drinking Beverage
And, with that, I'll say a permanent goodbye to this forum. Have a wonderful day!
[+] 3 users Like Lackluster's post
10-08-2017, 08:14 PM
(10-08-2017 06:45 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Nah. Not just you.

This section of the forum comes under the category of The Heavy Stuff so it can get, well, heavy sometimes.

We have a diverse bunch here and many enjoy vigorous debate (with appropriate amounts of sulphuric acid). It can be a bit like running the gauntlet when you've just arrived.

Others prefer meandering discussions and sharing ideas, joining dots and we appreciate diversity of opinion.

If you are in the latter group I recommend avoiding the bait that's dangled in your direction... at least until you've got your feet under the table.

Thumbsup

Very good advice. I think spirited debate is fun. I'm still learning though, so maybe I will be a little more cautious with my questions and the forum topics I choose to post under.

[+] 1 user Likes reeveseb's post
10-08-2017, 08:18 PM

I'm learning quickly. Thanks for the advice.