Can an agnostic pray?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2017, 10:40 AM
RE: Can an agnostic pray?
I sometimes catch myself wanting to pray, probably from habit. All it does is make YOU feel good (and maybe the one you're praying for if they know you're doing it), otherwise it does nothing for anyone.

In any case, I see nothing wrong with praying, since it's a tad like meditation, so long as you aren't in a situation where you should actually DO something.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
25-04-2017, 10:59 AM
(25-04-2017 06:16 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 05:27 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Talking in general, not about people in here.

Virtually any atheist who is self aware and curious enough to think through their position reasonably well, IS an agnostic.

I'd agree but I have an agenda.

(25-04-2017 07:19 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 05:30 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  And another thing that spins my wheels...

house,

I almost gave you a 'like' just for the language. CoolSmartass

How I talk irl. The important part is that you didn't take it all personal-like. Wink

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-04-2017, 11:41 AM
(25-04-2017 07:38 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 06:29 AM)unfogged Wrote:  That describes the content of the prayer but I don't see that there is a real difference in the effect. In both cases the supplicant is using a ritual to calm and focus their thoughts so, in that sense, imprecatory prayer is still just a form of meditation.
In the case where the believer doesn't seriously expect to any great degree for imprecatory prayer to actually be answered, sure. You may be surprised to find, though, that many DO expect answers, at least overall and in those cases where the non-answer or "wrong" answer is ... unthinkable. That is the proximate cause of many a deconversion, including mine. I could be sanguine about god not helping me find my keys (just using a canonical example here) but not about my wife suffering in baroque ways for years and finally dying (using a real example there).

We are talking about different things. You are looking at what the person believes is happening. I am looking at what is actually happening. I think we are in violent agreement.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
25-04-2017, 12:33 PM
Can an agnostic pray?
Anybody can pray, there is no law against speaking to oneself.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
25-04-2017, 01:15 PM
(25-04-2017 12:33 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Anybody can pray, there is no law against speaking to oneself.

That's prayer? Gasp

Suddenly I feel all monkish and shit. Tongue

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
30-04-2017, 12:19 AM
Can an agnostic pray?
Never prayed. But have gone on really long hikes in the desert or forest. Sometimes talking to myself working out a problem or issue. Works better I think. I am listening to wind, footsteps, animals, birds. Works for me anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes treefireguy's post
30-04-2017, 01:00 AM
If a prisoner in jail is sucking off another dude, does that make him gay?
Not necessarily, the only thing that makes him gay is if he's attracted to other guys. But that doesn't change the fact that sucking off another dude is really fucking gay.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
30-04-2017, 01:24 AM
[Image: iZr49cd.gif]

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
30-04-2017, 04:31 PM
I wonder if an agnostic begins a prayer the way the Limeys answer the phone? "Are you there?"

Angel

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
30-04-2017, 04:35 PM
George used to pray to Joe Pesci.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin