Can an atheist be better at theist argument?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Can an atheist be better at theist argument?
This is a game I always play when I have to deal with my mother.

Basically she will start talking about religion, as always, and I'll suddenly take it to a dogmatic, fundamentalist argument.

I also do it online because I have been known to troll a little :3

Take a simple one here:
Most creationists will trip over themselves for hours trying to explain how we can see stars even if the earth is supposedly 6000 years old, but I would say "Well of course god sped up the speed of light for a while and then put it to it's current rate. Thats how we see stars, you godless heathen!"

Maybe this is more suited to some sort of trolling forum, but maybe ya'll find this interesting? Maybe you even got some examples of things that a creationist would say if they were just a little more dogmatic. Angel

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2010, 10:35 PM

RE: Can an atheist be better at theist argument?
Absolutely! We can definitely be better because we're smarter. Did I say that out loud?
Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2010, 11:26 PM

A very religious person can reject any given argument with "God did it" or "God wanted it that way". For example, if evolution is incorrect, why do we have fossils, etc? God created them to test our faith.

Never underestimate the power of ignorance.
01-09-2010, 06:10 AM
I think the youtube video "Atheist Comedy - The Great Flood" sums up that kind of reasoning with its "MAGIC!~" segment. =P I have to admit, that made me roll.

Quote:"Well of course god sped up the speed of light for a while and then put it to it's current rate. Thats how we see stars, you godless heathen!"

I'm not sure if you know this and that's why you said it or if you made it up off the top of your head, but this was actually TAUGHT in an apologetics class in church. =P They said the speed of light is not a constant, but was "test-ably shown" to have been exponentially higher the further back you go in time. =P

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2010, 08:46 AM

(01-09-2010 06:10 AM)LeviTimes Wrote:  I think the youtube video "Atheist Comedy - The Great Flood" sums up that kind of reasoning with its "MAGIC!~" segment. =P I have to admit, that made me roll.

Quote:"Well of course god sped up the speed of light for a while and then put it to it's current rate. Thats how we see stars, you godless heathen!"

I'm not sure if you know this and that's why you said it or if you made it up off the top of your head, but this was actually TAUGHT in an apologetics class in church. =P They said the speed of light is not a constant, but was "test-ably shown" to have been exponentially higher the further back you go in time. =P
When I challenged a fundie about this, HIS explanation was that god created the stream of photons all the way from the edge of the known universe at the same time he created the universe. This was astounding rubbish, and what was interesting to me at the time was that this person is a respected scientist. How a scientist can embrace the power of logic and empiricism together with magical nonsense is utterly beyond my comprehension.

The notion that the speed of light has varied is a new rationalization to me.
02-09-2010, 04:28 AM

(02-09-2010 04:23 AM)pinder2 Wrote:  Whats up mate

spambot!!!!
02-09-2010, 08:08 AM
(02-09-2010 04:28 AM)Soldieringon Wrote:  
(02-09-2010 04:23 AM)pinder2 Wrote:  Whats up mate

spambot!!!!

Theyre not afraid of getting a pox! whats our next move?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
02-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Banning. Lots and lots of banning. I've already started on it.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
02-09-2010, 10:33 AM
LOL, think I've deleted 40 or 50 accounts already. Crazy! We got our work cut out for us man.

BTW, you guys can use the "Report" button on the bottom left now. That way it pops up in the moderator mailbox and we see it right away.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
02-09-2010, 10:58 AM
IP-bans? That would be luxury, real glad they can be fought against!

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.