Can an atheist be spiritual?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2012, 02:27 PM
RE: Can an atheist be spiritual?
(20-01-2012 05:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  But there is another way that it seems people use this word. It is used to describe the feelings of wonder, awe, amazement, astonishment at and of the universe.

That's true, but it's a shame since we have the words wonder, awe, amazement, and astonishment to describe the feelings of wonder, awe, amazement and astonishment. I guess those words make one feel like an open-mouthed rube while "spiritual" makes one feel superior.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Jeff's post
21-01-2012, 04:17 PM
(21-01-2012 02:27 PM)Jeff Wrote:  
(20-01-2012 05:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  But there is another way that it seems people use this word. It is used to describe the feelings of wonder, awe, amazement, astonishment at and of the universe.

That's true, but it's a shame since we have the words wonder, awe, amazement, and astonishment to describe the feelings of wonder, awe, amazement and astonishment. I guess those words make one feel like an open-mouthed rube while "spiritual" makes one feel superior.

That's why I asked for people to define what they meant by spiritual.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-01-2012, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2012 05:12 PM by Luminon.)
(21-01-2012 02:27 PM)Jeff Wrote:  
I suspect that's how people feel when they have a dominance of 5th ray in their subtle bodies. (or ISTJ MBTI type) The spirituality finds outlet in form of pale blue dots, totally woo-free. It's also usually externally generated, because, I mean, how can anything amazing AND real go on inside, in the wet cave of neural ridges? Outside and light years or microns away is the new frontier.

As another type of personality, I'm surprisingly lukewarm towards the nature and the universe. (probably because I grew up in a village and have enough nature to last me a lifetime) Instead, there's this sense of purpose, vision and plan of what we are and can become through complex understanding of everything and right measures. And there's this spontaneous love and unconditional acceptance, desire to understand everyone and to be understood.
Somehow, the stars, galaxies and waterfalls don't make me feel much. I depend on feeling that comes from the inside, sometimes without any cause or action on my part. If I'd be a hermit 1000 years ago, I'd call it a divine grace.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post