Can an atheist say? : "God doesn't exists".

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Can an atheist say? : "God doesn't exists".
I've been talking to an atheist who said: "There's no evidence for the existence of God, therefore God doesn't exists." I know that this is actually a logical fallacy called argumentum ad ignorantiam. And as far as I know, an atheist can't say "God doesn't exists" instead they say "There's no evidence for the existence of God, therefore it is rational to believe that God doesn't exists." "Or it is rational to deny the belief of its existence"

However, I don't think it is possible or logically valid for an atheist to deny the existance of God, he can deny the arguments that try to prove that God exists but it is not possible to deny the existence itself.

What do you guys think about this? Is it logically correct for an atheist to say: God doesn't exists.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2014, 05:16 PM
RE: Can an atheist say? : "God doesn't exists".
I say it all the time.

Since all "god"(s) were invented by men or people, I do not believe god exists.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 8 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-09-2014, 05:19 PM
BTW, there is no evidence that any of the gods invented by the fertile imagination of humans exist.

It's all bullshit.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
18-09-2014, 05:26 PM
That's why I call myself an agnostic atheist. The Judeo-Christian version of god doesn't exist. Period. "He" is a man made fabrication. Can I prove that there is no god? No. Is it likely there is a god that kick started the universe? No.

I will frequently say "god does not exist," it gets my point across to people who lack the brain capacity to understand anything but simple sentence structure. Simple people get simple responses.

If I'm being inflammatory, I'll say "god is dead." I'm trying out a new religion I just started - Deadism. No tithing required.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
18-09-2014, 05:34 PM
(18-09-2014 05:26 PM)Nurse Wrote:  If I'm being inflammatory, I'll say "god is dead." I'm trying out a new religion I just started - Deadism. No tithing required.

Nietszche beat you to that one. Now Deadheadism on the other hand recognizes the Prophet Garcia (pbuh) and its sacraments from the Prophet Hoffman (pbuh). Now there's some transubstantiation for you. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-09-2014, 05:41 PM
(18-09-2014 05:26 PM)Nurse Wrote:  That's why I call myself an agnostic atheist. The Judeo-Christian version of god doesn't exist. Period. "He" is a man made fabrication. Can I prove that there is no god? No. Is it likely there is a god that kick started the universe? No.

I will frequently say "god does not exist," it gets my point across to people who lack the brain capacity to understand anything but simple sentence structure. Simple people get simple responses.

If I'm being inflammatory, I'll say "god is dead." I'm trying out a new religion I just started - Deadism. No tithing required.

I meant using the rules of argumentation and logic. Is it logically correct for an atheist to say: God doesn't exists because there's no evidence in his favour?, even though this is (or looks) an example argumentum ad ignorantiam: P is unproven, therefore Not-P is true.
18-09-2014, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2014 06:01 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-09-2014 05:41 PM)Emanuel Vasconcelos Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 05:26 PM)Nurse Wrote:  That's why I call myself an agnostic atheist. The Judeo-Christian version of god doesn't exist. Period. "He" is a man made fabrication. Can I prove that there is no god? No. Is it likely there is a god that kick started the universe? No.

I meant using the rules of argumentation and logic. Is it logically correct for an atheist to say: God doesn't exists because there's no evidence in his favour?, even though this is (or looks) an example argumentum ad ignorantiam: P is unproven, therefore Not-P is true.

I think you are logically correct. It is similar to the Black Swan problem. There is no evidence of a black swan. Therefore there are no black swans. Best to just leave it at the premise. The premise speaks for itself and is falsifiable.

[Image: swan.jpg]

#sigh
18-09-2014, 06:51 PM
(18-09-2014 05:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 05:26 PM)Nurse Wrote:  If I'm being inflammatory, I'll say "god is dead." I'm trying out a new religion I just started - Deadism. No tithing required.

Nietszche beat you to that one. Now Deadheadism on the other hand recognizes the Prophet Garcia (pbuh) and its sacraments from the Prophet Hoffman (pbuh). Now there's some transubstantiation for you. Big Grin

I need to make time to read Nietszche. (I'm in the middle of Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, I'll put it next on my list - I appreciate recommendations). To be honest, I'd never heard of him until joining this site. Blush Alabama public school education. I'm here to learn. Did i commit a logical fallacy with my statement about not being able to disprove god? I only learned about logical fallacies this summer. Why teach a Christian young lady about logical fallacies if you want to keep her in her place? My philosophy courses were fashioned towards healthcare ethics, although we did cover Kant.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
18-09-2014, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2014 06:46 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(18-09-2014 05:11 PM)Emanuel Vasconcelos Wrote:  I've been talking to an atheist who said: "There's no evidence for the existence of God, therefore God doesn't exists." I know that this is actually a logical fallacy called argumentum ad ignorantiam. And as far as I know, an atheist can't say "God doesn't exists" instead they say "There's no evidence for the existence of God, therefore it is rational to believe that God doesn't exists." "Or it is rational to deny the belief of its existence"

However, I don't think it is possible or logically valid for an atheist to deny the existance of God, he can deny the arguments that try to prove that God exists but it is not possible to deny the existence itself.

What do you guys think about this? Is it logically correct for an atheist to say: God doesn't exists.

There is no evidence for Pink Sparkly Unicorns. Is it OK to deny their existence ? Is it rational to deny the existence of a teapot orbiting the sun ? Of a 1957 Chevy orbiting Pluto ?
No one can coherently define what the three letter meme pronounced "gawd" even means or references. Until they do I dismiss any discussion of it as worthwhile.
There is no reason or need to establish that one has a position with respect to a concept that is incoherent.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-09-2014, 07:09 PM
(18-09-2014 06:51 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Did i commit a logical fallacy with my statement about not being able to disprove god?
Nope. "There is no evidence of God. Therefore it is unlikely there is one." is sound and valid.

(18-09-2014 06:51 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I need to make time to read Nietszche.

I'd recommend starting with Sarte's "No Exit", Camus' "The Myth of Sisyphus" and Beckett's "Waiting for Godot" in no particular order and work backwards to Nietszche. Nietszche was batshit bonkers. It's kinda like reading a HouseOfCantor post.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post