Can an atheist say? : "God doesn't exists".

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2014, 07:13 PM
RE: Can an atheist say? : "God doesn't exists".
(18-09-2014 07:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 06:51 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Did i commit a logical fallacy with my statement about not being able to disprove god?
Nope. "There is no evidence of God. Therefore it is unlikely there is one." is sound and valid.

(18-09-2014 06:51 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I need to make time to read Nietszche.

I'd recommend starting with Sarte's "No Exit", Camus' "The Myth of Sisyphus" and Beckett's "Waiting for Godot" in no particular order and work backwards to Nietszche. Nietszche was batshit bonkers. It's kinda like reading a HouseOfCantor post.

Thank you!!

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2014, 07:21 PM
I suppose anyone is entitled to say anything they want.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
18-09-2014, 07:38 PM
*exist*
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
18-09-2014, 07:50 PM
(18-09-2014 05:11 PM)Emanuel Vasconcelos Wrote:  I've been talking to an atheist who said: "There's no evidence for the existence of God, therefore God doesn't exists." I know that this is actually a logical fallacy called argumentum ad ignorantiam. And as far as I know, an atheist can't say "God doesn't exists" instead they say "There's no evidence for the existence of God, therefore it is rational to believe that God doesn't exists." "Or it is rational to deny the belief of its existence"

However, I don't think it is possible or logically valid for an atheist to deny the existance of God, he can deny the arguments that try to prove that God exists but it is not possible to deny the existence itself.

What do you guys think about this? Is it logically correct for an atheist to say: God doesn't exists.

It's just as valid for an atheist without good evidence to say that God doesn't exist, as it is for a theist without good evidence to say that God does exist.

That's a type of atheism known as strong atheism. This is contrasted with weak atheism, which says "I do not believe that God exists", or "I reject (do not adopt) the idea that God exists." This might also be called a denial, depending on your semantics, and it is very valid.

Personally, I favor an ignostic perspective: Because so many people have so many different and mutually contradictory conceptions of God, the word "God" is so poorly-defined in common usage as to render the question of God's existence literally meaningless. Particular people may have well-defined concepts where the question of God's existence does become meaningful, but simply using the word "God" does not succeed in conveying these concepts. A person has to explain, in detail, what they mean by the word God before anyone else can really understand what they mean by the statements "God exists" or "God does not exist".
18-09-2014, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2014 08:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-09-2014 07:50 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  A person has to explain, in detail, what they mean by the word God before anyone else can really understand what they mean by the statements "God exists" or "God does not exist".

I know that I AM THAT I AM (Exodus 3:14), but I still got no confidence that God exists.

#sigh
18-09-2014, 08:03 PM
(18-09-2014 05:11 PM)Emanuel Vasconcelos Wrote:  I've been talking to an atheist who said: "There's no evidence for the existence of God, therefore God doesn't exists." I know that this is actually a logical fallacy called argumentum ad ignorantiam. And as far as I know, an atheist can't say "God doesn't exists" instead they say "There's no evidence for the existence of God, therefore it is rational to believe that God doesn't exists." "Or it is rational to deny the belief of its existence"

However, I don't think it is possible or logically valid for an atheist to deny the existance of God, he can deny the arguments that try to prove that God exists but it is not possible to deny the existence itself.

What do you guys think about this? Is it logically correct for an atheist to say: God doesn't exists.

God does not exist, and it is factual.

The reason why I can claim it as fact is exactly the same reason why I can claim the non-existence of other things as being factual; there is no evidence whatsoever to the contrary.

None.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 3 users Like Free's post
18-09-2014, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2014 08:12 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-09-2014 08:03 PM)Free Wrote:  The reason why I can claim it as fact is exactly the same reason why I can claim the non-existence of other things as being factual; there is no evidence whatsoever to the contrary.

None.

That does not a fact make. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

#sigh
18-09-2014, 08:16 PM
(18-09-2014 08:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 08:03 PM)Free Wrote:  The reason why I can claim it as fact is exactly the same reason why I can claim the non-existence of other things as being factual; there is no evidence whatsoever to the contrary.

None.

That does not a fact make. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Unless you are looking for evidence that should be there if said event was true. Take the flood no silt layer is absence of evidence and evidence of absence.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
18-09-2014, 08:22 PM
(18-09-2014 08:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 08:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That does not a fact make. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Unless you are looking for evidence that should be there if said event was true. Take the flood no silt layer is absence of evidence and evidence of absence.

Good point.

#sigh
18-09-2014, 08:23 PM
(18-09-2014 08:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(18-09-2014 08:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That does not a fact make. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

However, that kind of 'lack of evidence' is not actually a lack. We have actual evidence, the geologic record, that indicates no world flood occurred.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post