Can an atheist say? : "God doesn't exists".

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2014, 12:10 PM
RE: Can an atheist say? : "God doesn't exists".
(19-09-2014 10:43 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  No, they can't. Everyone knows that God exists, so atheists are being dishonest when they say that.

You know, I WOULD believe you about what I actually know, seeing as how you're such a bigger authority on what I know than I am, and you've got exhaustive, well-documented polygraph testing of the entire world population regarding their true beliefs.

Except that everyone knows that you know that God does NOT exist, so you're obviously lying here.

... see how unproductive that is?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2014, 12:15 PM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2014 01:01 PM by kim.)
(19-09-2014 11:49 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  No relevance? What about your just fate?
Fate?
If something is beyond my control then it's beyond my control.
I deal with whatever happens in my life; if I survive, I survive... if not, oh well... c'est la vie.

(19-09-2014 11:49 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(19-09-2014 11:45 AM)kim Wrote:  ---
After all, I am an adult. Drinking Beverage
You are. There is no escape. Drinking Beverage

Yep... and we don't get out alive. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
19-09-2014, 12:28 PM
(19-09-2014 10:43 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  No, they can't. Everyone knows that God exists, so atheists are being dishonest when they say that.

What number am I thinking of?

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 1 user Likes One Above All's post
19-09-2014, 12:54 PM
(19-09-2014 12:28 PM)One Above All Wrote:  

What number am I thinking of?

Hah. You'll just say that I lost no matter what number I pick.

Truth seeker.
19-09-2014, 12:58 PM
(19-09-2014 12:54 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(19-09-2014 12:28 PM)One Above All Wrote:  What number am I thinking of?

I just had a vision... 267,321
19-09-2014, 01:19 PM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2014 01:26 PM by One Above All.)
(19-09-2014 12:54 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(19-09-2014 12:28 PM)One Above All Wrote:  What number am I thinking of?

I won't. To make sure I don't, I'm going to send it to a friend of mine and screenshot it before you can reply. My timezone is GMT, FYI.
Surely, if you can read the "true" beliefs of every person on the planet, regardless of whether or not you've met them personally, or seen them (or even heard of them), or distance, you can figure out this simple thing.
EDIT: Small correction: because this message was sent over Skype, and my keyboard is malfunctioning, the timezone displayed is not mine, but my friend's. His timezone is GMT-6 (also called "central", for whatever reason).

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
19-09-2014, 04:16 PM
Sam Harris (and almost cetainly, many others) has pointed out a problem with such statements. We, including many atheists, accord more weight/respect to "god" statements than to other belief statements. He gave an example (I can't remember it exactly, so you'll have to put up with mine): suppose you have two high-powered candidates applying for one job. Both candidates are excellent, have very similar qualifications, experience etc etc.

All members of the interviewing panel are atheists, although this is not relevant to the position on offer.

During the final interview, one candidate states he believes in God. The other candidate states he believes in unicorns.

Who gets the job?
19-09-2014, 04:20 PM
They sure can... except the mute ones Gasp

There's a reason there is a strong/weak or agnostic/gnostic atheist differential. Yes, only the the unbelief position is technically accurate at this point of our knowledge.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
19-09-2014, 04:33 PM
(19-09-2014 11:30 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Oh, but you do. Drinking Beverage
No amount of belief/insisting/wishing/lying/needing makes something a fact. Drinking Beverage

(This was nearly a James Randi quote, but I changed it - still he deserves the credit.)

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
19-09-2014, 04:37 PM
(19-09-2014 04:16 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  During the final interview, one candidate states he believes in God. The other candidate states he believes in unicorns.

Who gets the job?

The unicornist. God-believers are a dime a dozen but being confident enough to express belief in unicorns takes some cojones. He'd be much more interesting to have around and at least the arguments might be new.
Cool

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP