Can an atheist say? : "God doesn't exists".

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2014, 04:46 PM
RE: Can an atheist say? : "God doesn't exists".
(19-09-2014 12:15 PM)kim Wrote:  Yep... and we don't get out alive. Wink

5 to 1 Baby, 1 in 5 ...

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-09-2014, 04:54 PM
(19-09-2014 10:43 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  No, they can't. Everyone knows that God exists, so atheists are being dishonest when they say that.

It seems you have some twisted need that everyone believe in God or your own faith is somehow threatened. Your faith is built on sand.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
20-09-2014, 01:12 AM
diddo97, I'm still waiting for an answer. Didn't your god give you the ability to know something as simple as what number I was thinking of, along with the ability to know the "true" beliefs of everyone who's alive, has lived, and will live?

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
20-09-2014, 02:08 AM
(18-09-2014 05:11 PM)Emanuel Vasconcelos Wrote:  I've been talking to an atheist who said: "There's no evidence for the existence of God, therefore God doesn't exists." I know that this is actually a logical fallacy called argumentum ad ignorantiam. And as far as I know, an atheist can't say "God doesn't exists" instead they say "There's no evidence for the existence of God, therefore it is rational to believe that God doesn't exists." "Or it is rational to deny the belief of its existence"

However, I don't think it is possible or logically valid for an atheist to deny the existance of God, he can deny the arguments that try to prove that God exists but it is not possible to deny the existence itself.

What do you guys think about this? Is it logically correct for an atheist to say: God doesn't exists.

It is worth noting that there is not a fair application of the use of common language when discussing the supernatural. This inequality of language use is easy to demonstrate with other supernatural entities than god.

Take for example, goblins. It is reasonable, even in public, to say "Goblins do not exist". I would challenge anyone who doubts this to perform an experiment at their next convenience. I have done so, and have gotten consistent responses along the lines of "don't be silly" "everybody knows that" and "is this a joke?". There is no apparent social requirement to point out that in a techinical sense, the statement might be false. We don't KNOW that goblins don't exist, we just don't have any evidence to suggest they do, and we have a great deal of evidence to suggest that they are the products of invention and imagination. In order to be both accurate and honest, we ought to say "We don't know if goblins exist or not, but we don't consider it probable." Imagine the incredulous looks you might get when making such a statement in public. It may even be that such a statement would earn you the questioning of your sanity by those around you who hear it.

For the sake of simplicity, sanity, and utility, we just say that they don't exist. That is precisely in what sense I mean "God does not exist". I am speaking in common language and am not being exact, which I will explain to anyone who asks.

I think it is a good thing when Atheists say this because it reminds people about the rules concerning supernatural belief, and exposes the double standard. I will consider it a victory when I can commonly say "God does not exist" and everyone around me may as well have heard "goblins do not exist."

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
[+] 2 users Like Dark Phoenix's post
20-09-2014, 11:54 AM
(19-09-2014 10:43 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Everyone knows

First off you can't know what everyone knows. I know this because you don't know what I know.

(19-09-2014 10:43 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  God exists

Saying that something exists doesn't make it so.
You can't speak something into existence

(19-09-2014 10:43 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  Atheists are being dishonest

Atheists are the most honest group of people you may ever come across.
They care more about the truth than most people.
If you ever want an honest answer, ask an atheist.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
20-09-2014, 11:52 PM
(20-09-2014 11:54 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  You can't speak something into existence

Hah! False! You can speak words into existence!

CHECKMATE, ATHEIST!
22-09-2014, 08:17 AM
(20-09-2014 11:54 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  First off you can't know what everyone knows. I know this because you don't know what I know.
I know that you know that God exists. God's word has revealed it to us.

(20-09-2014 11:54 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Saying that something exists doesn't make it so.
So... What is your evidence of reality? Remember, you can't speak it into existence.

(20-09-2014 11:54 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Atheists are the most honest group of people you may ever come across.
If atheists truly cared about the truth, they would be Christians. No, atheists only care about themselves.

Truth seeker.
22-09-2014, 09:12 AM
(22-09-2014 08:17 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(20-09-2014 11:54 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  First off you can't know what everyone knows. I know this because you don't know what I know.
I know that you know that God exists. God's word has revealed it to us.

No you don't. That is delusional thinking.

Quote:
(20-09-2014 11:54 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Saying that something exists doesn't make it so.
So... What is your evidence of reality? Remember, you can't speak it into existence.

Reality is all around us waiting to be experienced. Why do you have a problem with that?

Quote:
(20-09-2014 11:54 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Atheists are the most honest group of people you may ever come across.
If atheists truly cared about the truth, they would be Christians. No, atheists only care about themselves.

I care about the truth and that is why I'm an atheist.

Christianity is absurd.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-09-2014, 09:15 AM
(20-09-2014 01:12 AM)One Above All Wrote:  diddo97, I'm still waiting for an answer. Didn't your god give you the ability to know something as simple as what number I was thinking of, along with the ability to know the "true" beliefs of everyone who's alive, has lived, and will live?

No. God only gives me knowledge he wants me to possess..

Truth seeker.
22-09-2014, 09:27 AM
(22-09-2014 09:15 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(20-09-2014 01:12 AM)One Above All Wrote:  diddo97, I'm still waiting for an answer. Didn't your god give you the ability to know something as simple as what number I was thinking of, along with the ability to know the "true" beliefs of everyone who's alive, has lived, and will live?

No. God only gives me knowledge he wants me to possess..

How do you "know" God gives you anything? Your favorite cartoon implies that we can't know anything. Hint: that includes God. If your argument establishes anything at all, it establishes that belief in God is just as absurd as any other belief.