Can anybody explain this "paranormal" ability I have?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2013, 11:22 PM
Can anybody explain this "paranormal" ability I have?
Ok, first of all - no, I don't actually think it is paranormal, only a bit odd. It is a phenomena *I* cannot explain - which is why I'm asking others to. I am sure there is a psyrchological or memory based explanation to it, *if* it is real. Besides, even if this minor ability is both real and (very unlikely) actually "paranormal", one wonders, like one wonders about Uri Geller's alleged powers of spoon bending, why the infinite unexplained forces of the universe would grace me with this rather pointless superpower, instead of the ability to fly or, better, predict the stock market...

Anyway: I am a "heavy" reader since childhood, usually reading three or four big thick books at any one time. Right now for example I am reading Dostoyevsky's "The Idiot" (wondeful book by the way) and the collected works of E. A. Poe (am I the only one who thinks he was almost constantly writing tongue-in-cheek in his "horror" stories?). Now, it seems to me that when I return to a book after having stopped in the middle, even if weeks later or without a bookmark, I very often open the book without thinking and begin reading again at the *exact location*, to the word, where I stopped last time. Bizzare.

My questions are:

1. How can I tell I am not deluding myself, and actually only remembering the "hits" and forgetting the "misses"? It seems hard to design a double blind test here without a lot of effort that isn't really worth it, but perhaps someone has a suggestion...

2. Assuming this ability is real, what explanation could there be? Does anybody else experience something similar? My guess would be this ability (again, if real) is due to me receiving cues about where I was in the book below the level of conscious awareness (just like one can drive in a familiar route without remembering how one got home). But is there any research on this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Skeptic's post
24-06-2013, 04:34 AM
RE: Can anybody explain this "paranormal" ability I have?
Assuming the ability is real, It seems you have an unusual memory, though you don't consciously realise you remembered the page, though it is most likely your forgetting the misses or have a combination of both.
24-06-2013, 06:13 AM
Dude. You need to go back to the Superfriends Academy. You've been shortchanged. Big Grin

Remembering a picture is not like having a picture in your head, it's more like running a program that recreates the picture. In this case it is running a program that recreates the handling of the book. It's not like "I remember being on the third paragraph of page 96," more like, "I remember the weight distribution of the book opened to this page, the pattern of paragraphs and words to this location."

Which without sourcing is equivalent to a guess, but I've done some research into memory, and had the same kinda shit happen, although with far less proficiency.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
24-06-2013, 06:45 AM
These are just theories:
1.if you put a paperback open on the table(not on the rug,more like
/\(bigger angle)) and leave it like that,after a while,it "memorizes" that stand,and when you close it,and then open it again,it goes to that page
2.perhaps you have a photographic memory?
3.maybe there are a lot more misses,maybe you are a few pages behind where you actually stopped,and you regonise a few lines,and see that as a hit.

KC IS A LIAR!!!! HE PROMISED ME VANILLA CAKES AND GAVE ME STRAWBERRY CAKE Weeping
[+] 1 user Likes Lightvader's post
24-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Oh sure, you can do it with a physical book– you get the spine softened to just the right page. But what about an ebook? (No bookmarks, that's cheating.) If you can do that, we'll start talking about getting you a show in Vegas.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
24-06-2013, 12:11 PM
(24-06-2013 06:45 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  These are just theories:
1.if you put a paperback open on the table(not on the rug,more like
/\(bigger angle)) and leave it like that,after a while,it "memorizes" that stand,and when you close it,and then open it again,it goes to that page
2.perhaps you have a photographic memory?
3.maybe there are a lot more misses,maybe you are a few pages behind where you actually stopped,and you regonise a few lines,and see that as a hit.

#1 The pages of the book are all glued together and paper and glue fold, crack and bend. Unless you are super gentle with all of your books you will get creasing enough for there to be a memory of your last page...and even then air gets trapped within the pages up to the farthest point read (the pages at the back are compressed from months on the shelf). If you put a fresh reme of paper into a printer sometimes the sheets stick and 2 or 3 run through at once and cause a paper jam...but not if you flip through the reme first and get some air in between the sheets before loading it.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Yep - physical nature of the book itself could be what you're interacting with - what HoC said about sense memory and especially patterning. Our brain loves a good pattern and always puts it to memory whether we know it or not. Our brain also likes to takes snapshot of the last thing we see before leaving something.

Weirdly, I can still see in my mind, some of my favorite lines from books I read years ago - all laid out with the paragraphs above and a few lines surrounding. Happens especially if I read a line through enough times. I've noticed that I'll read through a line a couple of times when trying to find the right place to stop.

Bah - fuck all that. You're magic. Dibs on exploiting your ass. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
24-06-2013, 01:51 PM
wait...are you finding your place on the page? or opening the book (without the aid of a bookmark) and finding your place on the page?

"It's all bullshit, we know it, and you know it, you're either to fucking stupid to realize it, or too chickenshit to admit it." -pablo. Bowing
24-06-2013, 01:53 PM
It doesn't have anything to do with pattern recognition connecting to your language comprehension. Yep, that's for sure.
[+] 2 users Like Lienda Bella's post
24-06-2013, 01:53 PM
(24-06-2013 01:51 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  wait...are you finding your place on the page? or opening the book (without the aid of a bookmark) and finding your place on the page?

I find that if I CHOOSE to stop reading - then when I come back to it, I can go right to my spot on the page. But if I fall asleep while reading- it takes me a bit longer to figure out where I left off when I pick it back up. Usually some of it will seem familiar but other stuff not so much.

I think when you CHOOSE to stop reading, your brain makes a mental bookmark of some kind.

"It's all bullshit, we know it, and you know it, you're either to fucking stupid to realize it, or too chickenshit to admit it." -pablo. Bowing