Can anyone explain evolution to me?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Can anyone explain evolution to me?
Facts are facts. There is evidence for evolution and, in my opinion, to deny it altogether is to misunderstand it. As a Christian, I believe it doesn't account for everything on the planet, but some of it. However, there's an element of it I can't seem to get my head round. I can't understand how a fish (which breathes by taking oxygen from water) can adapt and change it's respiratory system to breathe air on land. I'm looking for someone to please explain this to me.
Now, I've only ever had evolution explained to me at a very basic level (high school level) so if I've made a mistake in how I phrased that, please correct me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes hylonome's post
26-08-2012, 11:48 AM
RE: Can anyone explain evolution to me?
(26-08-2012 11:43 AM)hylonome Wrote:  Facts are facts. There is evidence for evolution and, in my opinion, to deny it altogether is to misunderstand it. As a Christian, I believe it doesn't account for everything on the planet, but some of it. However, there's an element of it I can't seem to get my head round. I can't understand how a fish (which breathes by taking oxygen from water) can adapt and change it's respiratory system to breathe air on land. I'm looking for someone to please explain this to me.
Now, I've only ever had evolution explained to me at a very basic level (high school level) so if I've made a mistake in how I phrased that, please correct me.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
26-08-2012, 11:49 AM
I should think that taking one good look at your brother Hughsie should convince you we evolved from primates. But I'll let others with more knowledge address your specific question. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
26-08-2012, 12:01 PM
[Image: axe.png]

Sorry Erx, I seem to have got my axe stuck in your head Rolleyes.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
26-08-2012, 12:02 PM
I shaved. Sadcryface

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
26-08-2012, 12:56 PM
"I can't understand how a fish (which breathes by taking oxygen from water) can adapt and change it's respiratory system to breathe air on land. I'm looking for someone to please explain this to me."

I commend you for your curiosity and remind you that you being unable to currently understand something doesn't equate to it not being not true, OR even a good justification for you not believing it.

There are plenty of videos and articles on academic websites that explain in fairly straightforward terms the basic mechanics of how evolution works. A forum is a good place for discussion but not for hard scientific procedural knowledge.

As a start, I will suggest that you have created an artificial problem in your head. There are many radical differences between many organisms across many environments from head to toe or tendril or what have you. Deciding that all of these other differences are understandable in the context of evolution but that somehow lung differences from water to air breathers require magic is a false problem.
26-08-2012, 01:34 PM
It could get fairly lengthy to reply. Look up a lungfish.

Evolve
26-08-2012, 01:45 PM
"I can't understand how a fish (which breathes by taking oxygen from water) can adapt and change it's respiratory system to breathe air on land. I'm looking for someone to please explain this to me."

I think it's okay to give a simple answer, since no one else has done so yet.

Time. Lots and lots of Time. And Generations. Lots and lots of Generations.

Probably, a species living in the water found food resources harder to get, probably because of a drop in sea level. Over lots and lots of time and lots and lots of generations, members of that species began to adapt to this problem. There was no overnight change from a fish that could live in water to an animal that could now live on land. No momma fish gave birth to a landlubber. But species trying to survive near land's edge began taking small baby steps in order to get the food that was on land. Over lots and lots of time and lots and lots of generations, the features that were successful in adapting for survival were passed along and got stronger and stronger in later versions until eventually, after lots and lots of time and lots and lots of generations, a new species was fully adapted to live on land.

So that's Erxomai's Simplistic Version.
Now, go watch the videos and read the sources others have suggested. Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
26-08-2012, 02:13 PM
(26-08-2012 11:43 AM)hylonome Wrote:  Facts are facts. There is evidence for evolution and, in my opinion, to deny it altogether is to misunderstand it. As a Christian, I believe it doesn't account for everything on the planet, but some of it. However, there's an element of it I can't seem to get my head round. I can't understand how a fish (which breathes by taking oxygen from water) can adapt and change it's respiratory system to breathe air on land. I'm looking for someone to please explain this to me.

In order to understand the fundamentals of evolution, one must first have the capacity to comprehend massive amounts of time, and the pressures which influence traits that are passed down through sexual reproduction within that allotted time.

There were selective environmental pressures that instigated the gradual evolution of the respiratory system. One can look at a developing fetus as if you are looking back in time. Fetuses possess the necessary organs to breathe within the liquid of the womb.

Thanks for asking the question.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
26-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Yes, Richard Dawkins can.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post