Can anyone explain evolution to me?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2012, 02:39 PM
RE: Can anyone explain evolution to me?
There are two parts to this, as it's popularly thought of. The very early epoch, when life was getting started, and the later changes, which produces what we see.
Here's some more links :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6QYDdgP9eg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtmbcfb_rdc ,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYphAH2tK...re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho7GaI2rC...ature=plcp

If you wish to see an explanation for how life may have arisen, totally without any external assistance, the series by Harvard's Dr. Jack Szostak, is helpful.
If there is an element of something you don't get, just ask. There are some here who are professionals in these fields, (I certainly am not).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2012, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2012 04:54 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(26-08-2012 11:43 AM)hylonome Wrote:  I can't understand how a fish (which breathes by taking oxygen from water) can adapt and change it's respiratory system to breathe air on land. I'm looking for someone to please explain this to me.

It is connected to random mutations—i.e., fish have no control over the process—that occur during DNA replication (see what I wrote here for a quick primer). Random mutations that happen at the gene or chromosome level can lead to novel changes in an animal’s morphology. The ancestor of the Lung Fish, the Lobed-Fin Fish, had a genetic mutation that caused bony segments to grow inside of its fins, thus allowing it a means of locomotion on land. Lungs are simply modified air bladders (a.k.a. swim bladders). Whereas fins help propel a fish forwards and backwards, air bladders help propel fish up and down. It basically allows them to control their buoyancy. A random mutation in the descendants of the Lobed-Fin allowed them to store small amounts of oxygen in their bodies long enough for short trips between water sources. Later mutations compartmentalized the air bladder, allowing more and more stores of oxygen to be built up.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
26-08-2012, 03:03 PM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2012 03:06 PM by fstratzero.)
To answer the OP's question this is it. If you have any more questions please ask.

Quote:Swim bladders are evolutionarily closely related (i.e. homologous) to lungs. It is believed that the first lungs, simple sacs connected to the gut that allowed the organism to gulp air under oxygen-poor conditions, evolved into the lungs of today's terrestrial vertebrates and some fish

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
26-08-2012, 03:09 PM

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
26-08-2012, 03:22 PM
(26-08-2012 11:43 AM)hylonome Wrote:  Facts are facts. There is evidence for evolution and, in my opinion, to deny it altogether is to misunderstand it. As a Christian, I believe it doesn't account for everything on the planet, but some of it.
Hughsie, can I? Can I? Pretty please with sugar on top? I ain't wanna face no banhammer if I bully 'yer sister.

*cough* So, what does evolution not account for on our planet?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
26-08-2012, 03:38 PM
(26-08-2012 03:22 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(26-08-2012 11:43 AM)hylonome Wrote:  Facts are facts. There is evidence for evolution and, in my opinion, to deny it altogether is to misunderstand it. As a Christian, I believe it doesn't account for everything on the planet, but some of it.
Hughsie, can I? Can I? Pretty please with sugar on top? I ain't wanna face no banhammer if I bully 'yer sister.

He's right. It only accounts for the complexity and diversity of life. It doesn't explain rainbows.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
26-08-2012, 03:44 PM
(26-08-2012 03:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-08-2012 03:22 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Hughsie, can I? Can I? Pretty please with sugar on top? I ain't wanna face no banhammer if I bully 'yer sister.

He's right. It only accounts for the complexity and diversity of life. It doesn't explain rainbows.
And neither does it explain the origin of unicorns. Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
27-08-2012, 11:50 AM
(26-08-2012 11:43 AM)hylonome Wrote:  Facts are facts. There is evidence for evolution and, in my opinion, to deny it altogether is to misunderstand it. As a Christian, I believe it doesn't account for everything on the planet, but some of it. However, there's an element of it I can't seem to get my head round. I can't understand how a fish (which breathes by taking oxygen from water) can adapt and change it's respiratory system to breathe air on land. I'm looking for someone to please explain this to me.
Now, I've only ever had evolution explained to me at a very basic level (high school level) so if I've made a mistake in how I phrased that, please correct me.

these guys did it!

human embryo - to walking,

and talking

and
and

and[/code]
27-08-2012, 02:04 PM
(27-08-2012 11:50 AM)Bishadi Wrote:  

these guys did it!

human embryo - to walking,

and talking

and
and

and[/code]

That isn't evolution.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 4 users Like FSM_scot's post
27-08-2012, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2012 06:02 PM by Anjele.)
Simply put,
Changes, particularly in environment, prompt changes in the animal and plant life in the area. The ones that are able to adapt stay alive to pass on their genes to the next generation. Over many, many years a species can change quite a bit to be able to survive in what has become their new environment.

The the amount of water available, the amount of food, the number of predators, the temperature are all things that continually change. Some species adapt, improve, survive. Some don't and become extinct. Survival of the fittest, it really isn't that complicated a concept.

The lungfish is an excellent example.

Just keep in mind that these changes take a LONG time. Unless it's being manipulated such as it is in livestock, dogs, and cats, plants (especially for food) where a very specific trait is preferred and is coordinated by man. Then the process is in fast mode and can end up being disastrous if things aren't balanced correctly.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post