Can anyone explain evolution to me?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2012, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2012 05:43 PM by free2011.)
RE: Can anyone explain evolution to me?
"The Magic of Reality" by Richard Dawkins does an excellent job of explaining evolution natural selection.

Essentially something that helps a living thing survive will be passed on to future generations. Generation of after generation those most able to survive will reproduce and pass their genes on to the next generation.

Think of the flying squirrel. Hundreds of thousands of years ago one particular squirrel had a small piece of flesh between it's leg and body. This allowed it to jump from trees and float to the ground which would help it avoid predators. A squirrel that had slightly more flesh could travel slightly further and able to avoid predators better so he would live longer and reproduce while the one with less amount of flesh would be killed. And so on until you arrive at today's modern "flying squirrel".

Or: Two campers are walking through the forest when they suddenly encounter a grizzly bear. The bear rears up on his hind legs and lets out a terrifying roar. Both campers are frozen in their tracks. The first camper whispers, "I'm sure glad I wore my running shoes today." "It doesn't matter what kind of shoes you're wearing, you're not gonna outrun that bear," replies the second. "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you," he answers. If sneakers were a body part camper one would reproduce and pass that attribute on to his children while camper two would get eaten and not pass on his boot genes.

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2012, 05:49 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2012 06:05 PM by Diablo666.)
RE: Can anyone explain evolution to me?
I got this one.

Think of cute little pandas.
[Image: panda0106.jpg]

Pandas are going extinct!!!! Omgonoz!
Why are they going extinct?
Because they have the digestive track of a carnivorous bear, but eat bamboo, have a 3 inch slong, sleep all day, and have no interest in procreating.

End result? Pandas suck at surviving, thus they die.
Bye Pandas

That is evolution.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply