Can anyone explain how this wasn't God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2012, 07:26 PM
RE: Can anyone explain how this wasn't God?
The problem with evidence through personal experience is that it requires interpretation. When a young Catholic girl sees the face of the Virgin Mary on their toast and asks how you can deny that it's a miracle, it's rather easy if you don't interpret it the same way that she does. You may call it a coincidence, or say that she's primed to see Mary through her indoctrination. Perhaps it even is a miracle. But there's no way to test this objectively - scientifically - and so while it may give her reason to believe, it isn't convincing to anyone else.

And seriously, did you proofread your post? That wasn't written in a manner that was easy on the eyes. If you want people to read and respond, try keeping it as short as possible and with natural breaks.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
11-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Where's the tl;dr explanation?
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Kaos MD's post
11-01-2012, 08:10 PM
As a former Christian, I think I should give my input. Also, I actually read the whole thing. Tongue (If anyone finds it hard to read, copy paste it into Microsoft Word and double space it. It's easier to read that way.)

While I haven't ever experimented with drugs, I can relate to a lot of the feeling that you had.

When I believed in Jesus, it felt so right because, in a way, it was like giving myself a pat on the back. I knew that I could live forever (heaven), and that all was forgiven. It solved everything. I think this is why many Christians are so confident in their beliefs today: It solves everything, and provides a sense of security that people long for.

I too have had what I considered "Moments with God." I have panic disorder, so I have had quite a few bad panic attacks, that were honestly the most painful and scary thing of my entire life. In one particular case, I was sitting, and shaking violently. I thought I would be sick, however I never was. My mind was racing, I had servere naseau, and I had hot flashes throughout my body. I remember crying out to God, and asking for forgiveness and for him to take it away. I gradually calmed myself and I remember growing closer to God after the incident. However, it was just that: an incident. The anxiety that I feel is a natural experience, and it went away because my body regulated itself. It wasn't a sign from God to start living better like I originally thought.

Anyway, these are just my personal thoughts and examples. To answer your question, no I cannot fully explain that you did not experience God. However, as many have suggested, it really sounds like a drug reaction. The body and mind is really capable of messing with you. (I've learned this through my anxiety.) Perhaps it was a hallucination. Maybe not. But I think it's plausible that your mind caused these things. Naturally, people want answers to things (hence religion is a popular solution.) Your mind may have thought these things as a coping mechanism.

As for the last part, it didn't convince me much. Coincedences are possible and happen on occasion.

Maybe I'm over- analysing here. But these are my thoughts.

-Dynastes
[+] 4 users Like Dynastes's post
11-01-2012, 08:16 PM
You possibly suffer from a form of depression and your drugs heightened this. It sounds like it is not just weed you smoked, it was laced with something else. Yes, you can hallucinate all this on drugs, and sometimes a very pure substance in weed can do this too. And guess what, it feels so real. Evil can be more than evil and God can be the best feeling in the world. Your mind can race through these thoughts as your neuronal paths open and electricity fires. Why could this not have happened when you weren't high? Ask God to have this whole experience but not when you're high. That would be closer to a perfect personal experience, which even then- it was a personal experience. No truth there. Mental illness is a very real and personal experience too, it doesn't mean voices are actually speaking. Also, your brain has a memory of this 'being real'. Our brains are smart, but sometimes they can't tell the difference between a real experience and a fabricated one- like a bad nightmare that seemed so real for awhile, this faux-reality can be hard to 'shake off'.

As for your friend, he called you because of your blog? So then... that's why he called you 'out of the blue'? It sounds like it wasn't out of the blue.... It sounds like he had a reason.

Be careful with drugs- even marijuana- know its source and be sure you don't have an underlying medical issue that could be affected. There is such thing as drug induced psychosis, it could also trigger a mental illness that hasn't surfaced, or enhance at the least any depression you may have. Lucky for you during your experience you used some logic and talked yourself out of slitting your wrists. What if next time it's something that seems logical and you hurt yourself?

I have a child and youth counselling degree if you need help, I could help or direct you somewhere that you can get help, PM me anytime if you need to. Smile
[+] 5 users Like LadyJane's post
11-01-2012, 08:18 PM
3 obvious reasons come to mind:

1) God ain't that fucking wordy.
2) You experienced this not while under the influence of serious hallucinogens like LSD, mescaline or PCP, but weed. That's not God, that's you having only smoked weed twice in your life before. It's called inexperience and naivete.
3)
(11-01-2012 04:41 PM)normawesjean Wrote:  Every single question led to “why am I here right now” not in a sense of why am I here in life, but as in why am I here right now in this shed smoking weed with this guy?

If it really was God your question would have been "Why am I here right now in this bed smoking weed with this guy?"

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Having only smoked twice before, you ended up with a killer batch, and tripped.

A smoker as inexperienced as youself should not have weed that potent. Next time, you may see a unicorn.

Tell you what I'm gonna do. Since it would be inadvisable for you, or anyone else who doesn't smoke, to risk accidental inhalation, I think that you should find all the really kick-ass weed, pack it up, and send it to me for safe disposal.

I think of it as a public service.

you can think of it as a mission for God.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 9 users Like Stark Raving's post
11-01-2012, 09:30 PM
(11-01-2012 09:25 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Having only smoked twice before, you ended up with a killer batch, and tripped.

A smoker as inexperienced as youself should not have weed that potent. Next time, you may see a unicorn.

Tell you what I'm gonna do. Since it would be inadvisable for you, or anyone else who doesn't smoke, to risk accidental inhalation, I think that you should find all the really kick-ass weed, pack it up, and send it to me for safe disposal.

I was thinking of asking you, Stark, if you were growing anything that potent? I could use a batch of that myself. Cool

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
11-01-2012, 09:32 PM
(11-01-2012 09:25 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Having only smoked twice before, you ended up with a killer batch, and tripped.

I think it requires TWO people for a definitive answer. Send half to me!

I also agree with 'LadyJane' on a more serious note

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
11-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Cue Erx and Aurora 2 months later "You guys! You guys! God does exist!" Tongue

Hey Normawesjean Smile

It's pretty cool that you came here to test your ideas. Someone who submits an idea for criticism rather that affirmation is looking for answers Smile

The problem as I see it is
1. You were at least possibly depressed.
2. You were on drugs at the time of the experience.

For those two reasons, if I was you I would have a hard time trusting myself. I've hallucinated before and it feels so real. Would you trust the evidence of some guy who was having a trip and depressed in a murder trial? You might examine it and give it some weight but... do you see the problem?

If you are depressed, I urge you to go see a doctor, really. And also remember that the first hurdle for most people is admitting that they're at least possibly depressed. Pills are not bad, they're like pills for helping you with a cold.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
12-01-2012, 12:17 AM
And another thing....You don't remember speaking to your girlfriend but you trust that you did.
If someone else in the shed who was just as high, had the hallucination that you punched them in the mouth and the next day, they woke up with a fat lip, does that mean that you punched them or that they could have fallen down at any point during their hallucination. His mind says that you did it and it seemed very real to him, but what does the evidence say.

His testimony is unreliable and the physical evidence of his lip is more accurately described from a hit by a solid flat surface versus a fist that would have made a different bruise.

You want to believe what you want to believe regardless of reason, regardless of your mental state, regardless of any evidence at all.
If that's how you want to live, be prepared to be found guilty based upon the same lack of reasoning.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results