Can anyone explain how this wasn't God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2015, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2015 10:25 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Can anyone explain how this wasn't God?
(30-04-2015 12:18 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  You're too small, too irrelevant, for writers to invest their time getting to know this foreign audience. So no one is going to write their work with you in mind, you have to take the extra steps required to understand what they have to say.

That's right. Yes
They get that the market for per-indoctrinated confirmation bias of BS is quite large.
It's where the money is. Just ask multi-millionaire WLC.
There is an endless mountain of sentimental dot-connecting drivel. (It's known as "Christian theology").

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2015, 01:33 PM
(30-04-2015 01:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That's right. Yes
They get that the market for per-indoctrinated confirmation bias of BS is quite large.
It's where the money is. Just ask mulch-millionaire WLC.
There is an endless mountain of sentimental dot-connecting drivel. (It's known as "Christian theology").

As if the pile of books written by atheists are anything but dribble?

End of Faith
God Delusion
God is Not Good
Breaking the Spell
Waking
Faith vs. Fact
The Case for Atheism

There are about as good as anything WLC churns out. Music for their choirs, but cringe worthy for anyone else.
30-04-2015, 01:56 PM
(30-04-2015 01:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

End of Faith
God Delusion
God is Not Good
Breaking the Spell
Waking
Faith vs. Fact
The Case for Atheism

There are about as good as anything WLC churns out. Music for their choirs, but cringe worthy for anyone else.

I disagree about God is not Good. Hitchens was a respected journalist and a knowledgable debater. When he went after Mother Theresa he explained what she actually did.

I've read other (non atheist related) books he wrote and found them interesting, and most importantly factual.

That being said, I don't read a lot atheist books. I've never read the God Delusion beyond the first couple chapters.

I have read more than a few books by religious people -- because family members insisted that I try.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

30-04-2015, 02:01 PM
(30-04-2015 12:18 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(29-04-2015 09:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  No, you tool. In regards to educating people on CHRISTIANITY. Their supposed area of expertise. Sure, there are experts on Ancient Near East and History, and those guys tend to be fun to listen to. But anyone who's an *actual* Christian apologist, even the supposedly "best" like that douche William Lane Craig, cannot explain his topic with a hundredth of the clarity of any one of probably a dozen science educators I could name off the top of my head.

There's about 2000 years of christian writings, articulating nearly every nook and corner, from a variety of different angles and perspectives.

All you seem to be saying here, is that they don't break it down in a way that's easily digestible for you as an unbeliever? That you have a hard time deciphering what it is they're saying, though many believers likely don't have the same problem.

Sorry to break it to you, the problems is not them, it's you.

In fact there's something to be said. No one considers you, and those like you as their audience, so they don't write works fostered to your particular quirks and inabilities, or odd objections. You're too small, too irrelevant, for writers to invest their time getting to know this foreign audience. So no one is going to write their work with you in mind, you have to take the extra steps required to understand what they have to say.

There's also OVER 2000 years of Buddhist writings and still countless added each year in this era. Are you too small, insignificant, and with ODD objections to grasp their profound ideas of what they have to say?

You know this isn't an application of what they have to say. It's a matter of what the basis and how you actually say it. There is a difference in there it depends on how you WANT to view these different things.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
30-04-2015, 03:14 PM
2000 years of obfuscatory bullshit you mean, Tomasia.

I don't require your schmucks to write for me. I require them to be engaging, to explain clearly and to FUCKING well know their shit. But even the greatest of them (Aquinas, fucken whoever the fuck else) - their stuff is all bullshit that a child can see through.

Infinite causal chains with special exceptions for undefined words corresponding to warm fuzzy feels which mean the long dark isn't so scary anymore because there's some kind of alleged light at the end of the tunnel.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
30-04-2015, 03:22 PM
(30-04-2015 11:52 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(29-04-2015 04:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  Rather more insightful than a celebrity as they are more intelligent than your average celebrity.

They're only more insightful about subjects in relationship to their own profession. Just like your celebrity actor is likely to be more insightful about acting, or my mechanic is more insightful about the workings of my automobile.

Seriously? You don't think their education and intelligence give them an edge?
And your comparison sucks. How is your actor or mechanic going to fare on subjects outside of their professions?

Quote:In areas outside of this, like politics, war, culture, I have yet to hear a single thing said that's anymore insightful than the rantings of Susan Sarandon, or George Clooney. It's why you're not gonna see people running to Dawkins, or Tyson to discuss foreign policy, or what should be done in regards to ISIS, because anything they'd have to say would likely be inane.

Quote:Maybe you'd like to provide some actual examples?

Can you provide an example of something deeply insightful that they've contributed?

Nice try, but you led off with the claims, so you get to support your assertion first.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-04-2015, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2015 03:30 PM by Chas.)
(30-04-2015 01:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

The word you are looking for there is 'drivel', and no they are not.

Quote:End of Faith
God Delusion
God is Not Good
Breaking the Spell
Waking
Faith vs. Fact
The Case for Atheism

Those books are far more factual and insightful than anything WLC has ever written.

Have you even read Breaking the Spell? Do you even understand Dennett's point?

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-04-2015, 03:26 PM
(30-04-2015 12:18 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(29-04-2015 09:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  No, you tool. In regards to educating people on CHRISTIANITY. Their supposed area of expertise. Sure, there are experts on Ancient Near East and History, and those guys tend to be fun to listen to. But anyone who's an *actual* Christian apologist, even the supposedly "best" like that douche William Lane Craig, cannot explain his topic with a hundredth of the clarity of any one of probably a dozen science educators I could name off the top of my head.

There's about 2000 years of christian writings, articulating nearly every nook and corner, from a variety of different angles and perspectives.

All you seem to be saying here, is that they don't break it down in a way that's easily digestible for you as an unbeliever? That you have a hard time deciphering what it is they're saying, though many believers likely don't have the same problem.

Sorry to break it to you, the problems is not them, it's you.

In fact there's something to be said. No one considers you, and those like you as their audience, so they don't write works fostered to your particular quirks and inabilities, or odd objections. You're too small, too irrelevant, for writers to invest their time getting to know this foreign audience. So no one is going to write their work with you in mind, you have to take the extra steps required to understand what they have to say.

How is a body of writing about fantasy and make believe worth more than a bucket of warm spit? Consider

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
30-04-2015, 11:03 PM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2015 11:11 PM by Ace.)

I can explain why the OP met god with this video Dodgy

if you met this god then fine, was anyone else there that also met saw this god of your ? so we can confirm what your saying. if not then what you say has no relevance outside the subject of the normal human condition we call hallucination

also you sound more like your under depression, I suggest you seek counseling
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
30-04-2015, 11:32 PM
So you got high, asked some questions, and found god?

That's great. Tell him to go up to the second floor and head right; Mommy's waiting for him at the mall's security desk.

Bummer that your buzz was ruined by thinking about a raging twat, though.