Can anyone explain how this wasn't God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2015, 11:55 PM
RE: Can anyone explain how this wasn't God?
(30-04-2015 01:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  As if the pile of books written by atheists are anything but dribble?

End of Faith
God Delusion
God is Not Good
Breaking the Spell
Waking
Faith vs. Fact
The Case for Atheism

There are about as good as anything WLC churns out. Music for their choirs, but cringe worthy for anyone else.

Yes, I suspect that having no answers to the reality presented in some of those books (not a god delusion fan, me) would make you theists cringe rather acutely.

People cringe for many reasons. You cringe because you've been fooled into thinking you have some slam dunk evidence that just isn't being accounted for in the atheist writings. We cringe because every last apologetic claim made in christian literature is either factually wrong, or reliant ultimately on an argument from ignorance.

Personally, I'm happy cringing at being subjected to the nonsense your side produces. Seems better than cringing because your faith won't allow you to do anything else.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Esquilax's post
01-05-2015, 09:38 PM
(30-04-2015 11:55 PM)Esquilax Wrote:  
(30-04-2015 01:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  As if the pile of books written by atheists are anything but dribble?

End of Faith
God Delusion
God is Not Good
Breaking the Spell
Waking
Faith vs. Fact
The Case for Atheism

There are about as good as anything WLC churns out. Music for their choirs, but cringe worthy for anyone else.

Yes, I suspect that having no answers to the reality presented in some of those books (not a god delusion fan, me) would make you theists cringe rather acutely.

People cringe for many reasons. You cringe because you've been fooled into thinking you have some slam dunk evidence that just isn't being accounted for in the atheist writings. We cringe because every last apologetic claim made in christian literature is either factually wrong, or reliant ultimately on an argument from ignorance.

Personally, I'm happy cringing at being subjected to the nonsense your side produces. Seems better than cringing because your faith won't allow you to do anything else.

To quote Steve Shives in regards to 'The Case for Christ' by Lee Strobel...

"Were I to take the most charitable position possible after reading this book, were I to accept Strobel’s claims that he was an atheist and that his intention was to present the facts about Jesus to other atheists and skeptics so that they might judge for themselves, were I to ignore the bias and attempts at manipulation, the best I could say for The Case for Christ is that it is a chronicle of its author’s credulity. If this was the evidence and these were the arguments that transformed Strobel from an atheist to a born-again evangelical Christian, I’m afraid it doesn’t say much for him."

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
01-05-2015, 10:10 PM
Weed is God?

Laugh out load

I done heard it all!

Be true to yourself. Heart
01-05-2015, 10:27 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2015 10:32 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(30-04-2015 01:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(30-04-2015 01:14 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  That's right. Yes
They get that the market for per-indoctrinated confirmation bias of BS is quite large.
It's where the money is. Just ask mulch-millionaire WLC.
There is an endless mountain of sentimental dot-connecting drivel. (It's known as "Christian theology").

As if the pile of books written by atheists are anything but dribble?

End of Faith
God Delusion
God is Not Good
Breaking the Spell
Waking
Faith vs. Fact
The Case for Atheism

Well, dear. 1st of all it's "drivel" not "dribble". And I noticed you had nothing of substance to say concerning any of the books you named, in your disingenuous attempt to change the subject. Its very easy to say they're "cringe-worthy" without one word of exploitation. Remind me again. What exactly are you doing here, (other than repeatedly proving you can't keep an argument straight, or write a sentence in correct English) ? I see Jebus made you all charitable and thoughtful.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
01-05-2015, 11:10 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2015 06:02 AM by Shinosky.)
The more anyone tries to disprove God - the more joy and confidence it gives me. My intellectual peacocking, intelligence, memory palace, IQ, reasoning is not what God is after. I could be the smartest man in the room of the greatest minds, or the village idiot - what God wants, nay: What he is jealous most for - is my heart. He wants it all.

And I want to give my whole heart to the King of the universe. It's a very very tough task to surrender to him. A lifelong adventure that is absolutely amazing.

It's about a relationship with the creator. To worship and celebrate the creator and not the created. To look death square in the eyes and laugh - With unwavering confidence.

You see, I don't need your approval to feel or be loved. I just ask God my father. He provides it all and then some.

He is a very personal God. He has the best for me. Right here, right now. For eterinity. The battle has already been won.

There is absolutely nothing anyone can say or do that will turn me away from the one who loves me the most. If I'm angry at God I tell him. If I'm happy with God I tell him. He wants my undivided attention. And I chose to give it to the one who sent his son Jesus to this world to die a blameless death for us. So that we will have everlasting life with him for eternity.

Like it or not - we live forever. And that is so awesome to think about. I feel good knowing that life under God's umbrella is blessed. Knowing it gets better and better with each passing moment: solidifies the work he set out to do in me with my wretched heart. He turns the worse into the best.

I want the same for you as well. All of you are better than me in probably every aspect of your lives. I see great things for you all. I see God running after you with an avengence. And when you turn around in fear of his power, there is one thing above all else that he will make indoubtly clear. Three words that nothing or noone can conquer: I LOVE YOU.
02-05-2015, 12:08 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2015 06:25 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  The more anyone tries to disprove God - the more joy and confidence it gives me. My intellectual peacocking, intelligence, memory palace, IQ, reasoning is not what God is after. I could be the smartest man in the room of the greatest minds, or the village idiot - what God wants, nay: What he is jealous most for - is my heart. He wants it all.

Funny how a supposedly perfect creator of the universe desires or needs anythings. One would think that 'needing' anything is an imperfection, a design flaw, a limitation.

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  And I want to give my whole heart to the King of the universe. And it's a very very tough task to surrender to him. A lifelong adventure that is absolutely amazing.

And utterly superfluous.

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  It's about a relationship with the creator. To worship and celebrate the creator and not the created. To look death square in the eyes and laugh - With unwavering confidence.

Relationship? A one way conversation is not a relationship, unless you also include Japaneses anime body pillows and otaku being capable of 'relationships'.

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=1003477&...1404275657]

^A 'relationship' with as much back-and-forth involvement as a believer and their god.

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  You see, I don't need your approval to feel loved. I just ask God my father. He provides it all and then some.

What can I say? Religion is a hell of a drug, and generally more socially acceptable than meth, even if the results are similar.

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  He is a very personal God. He has the best for me. Right here, right now. For enterity. The battle has already been won.

*eternity

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  There is absolutely nothing anyone can say or do that will turn me away from the one who loves me the most. If I'm angry at God I tell him. If I'm happy with God I tell him. He wants my undivided attention.

Well, then go the fuck away. We have no need at The Thinking Atheist for someone who refuses to think. If your mind is unchanging, you are not thinking.

Once again, how does a perfect being have desires? Desires are the results of needs, and needs arise from deficiencies, and any deficiency is incompatible with perfection.

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  And I chose to give it to the one who sent his son to this world to die a blameless death for us. So that we will have everlasting life with him for eternity.

Yep, cause the all powerful creator of the universe was unable to change his rules without spilling his own blood. Makes perfect sense, if you're a brainwashed shill who is admittedly incapable of thought.

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  Like it or not - we live forever.

Got any evidence for that? No?

GTFO

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  And that is so awesome to think about.

I't also awesome to think about getting a blowjob from Scarlett Johansson, and it might even make you feel really good; but when you're done and you open your eye you'll find that masturbating, regardless how good it feels, doesn't make your fantasy a reality.

[Image: tumblr_mgrqvzf0381qk9mhco1_500.jpg]

You're still just standing there with your dick in your hand.

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  I feel good knowing that the life under God's umbrella is blessed. Knowing it gets better and better with each passing moment solidifies the work he set out to do in me with my wretched heart. He turns the worse into the best.

Tell you what, you can fly over to India and tell the good people of Nepal how much better their lives are now because it has been enriched by your god's blessed earthquake.

[Image: Nepal-Earthquake1-665x385.jpg]

Don't forget to take pictures while they kick the shit out of your ignorant ass. Thumbsup

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  I want the same for you as well. All of you are better than me in probably every aspect of your lives. So I see great things for you all. I see God running after you with avengence. And when you turn around in fear of his power, there is one thing above all else that he will make indoubtly clear. Three words that nothing or noone can conquer: I LOVE YOU.

*undoubtedly
*no one

Sorry, the rest of us are not recovering schizophrenics, auditory hallucination aren't part of the package.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post
02-05-2015, 12:41 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2015 12:47 AM by Free Thought.)
(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  My intellectual peacocking,

Soo... You go around pretending to be intellectual to impress females?
Why do I get the feeling that yours is not a particularly effective strategy...

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  intelligence, memory palace, IQ, reasoning is not what God is after.

That just makes it sound like your god is after everybody to be a bunch of as maximally unintelligent rubes as possible.
Additionally, what is a 'memory palace'?

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  I could be the smartest man in the room of the greatest minds, or the village idiot - what God wants, nay: What he is jealous most for - is my heart. He wants it all.

A couple thoughts on this:
1. How exactly can a thing usually defined by a state of perfection and omnipotence be jealous of anything?
2. Why would it be?
3. What interest or use could such a being have with a rhythmically pulsing four-chamber sack of meat?
4. Perhaps portraying your deity as a creepy hyper-obsessive girlfriend is not the best marketing strategy.

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  And I want to give my whole heart to the King of the universe. And it's a very very tough task to surrender to him. A lifelong adventure that is absolutely amazing.

4b. Perhaps portraying yourself as a hyper-submissive girlfriend is not the best marketing strategy.

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  It's about a relationship with the creator. To worship and celebrate the creator and not the created.

See: Thought 4b.

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  You see, I don't need your approval to feel loved. I just ask God my father. He provides it all and then some.

4c. Perhaps portraying your relationship with your god in the light of an incestuous relationship between a hyper-obessive father and submissive child is not the best marketing strategy.

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  He is a very personal God. He has the best for me. Right here, right now. For enterity. The battle has already been won.
There is absolutely nothing anyone can say or do that will turn me away from the one who loves me the most.

Revision to Thought 4b. Portraying yourself as a victim of Stockholm syndrome is not the best marke- the joke's wearing thin now, isn't it?

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  He wants my undivided attention.

See 4.

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  And I chose to give it to the one who sent his son to this world to die a blameless death for us. So that we will have everlasting life with him for eternity.

I'm not sure it's entirely blameless; he did have a well recorded habit of whipping merchants trying to get by, slinging mud into blind people's eyes and encouraging his followers to hate their family... sure the death penalty is a tad extreme, but it can't be said that he wasn't at least deserving of a little negative karma.

Plus, I'm not sure it's all that much of a sacrifice if the sacrificial item in question got back up at any point afterward and then went to paradise.
Hell, I'd take being fired if it meant I had to spend three days homeless before being taken to live cost-free in an Hawaiian 5-star hotel afterward.

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  Like it or not - we live forever. And that is so awesome to think about.

First of all:
citation needed

Secondly, I have reason to believe that we employ significantly different definitions of the word 'awesome'; I don't find the prospect of eventual eternal boredom to be very appealing, myself.

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  Knowing it gets better and better with each passing moment

Tell that to the ~3.1 million children who die of starvation a year (according to the World Food Programme), or sufferers of Locked In Syndrome, or the cancer-ward children who probably wont leave it, or any of the people from Nepal...

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  solidifies the work he set out to do in me with my wretched heart.

Great, let's just put self-loathing in addition to the Stockholm syndrome and likely related high-level submissiveness.

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  He turns the worse into the best.

See: the prior and not remotely complete list of horrible shit that god doesn't seem to be doing anything about.

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  I want the same for you as well. All of you are better than me in probably every aspect of your lives.

Well I wouldn't know about that... I mean, I bet I could beat you in measurements for mass, sure... doesn't make me better, just slightly more difficult for people to hug me.

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  I see God running after you with avengence.

If he hasn't caught up to me by now, he probably never will; I mean, how hard can it be to run after a fat, lazy teenager?

(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  And when you turn around in fear of his power, there is one thing above all else that he will make indoubtly clear. Three words that nothing or noone can conquer: I LOVE YOU.

If there is one thing I feel I can say I know as an absolute fact, it is this: the utilisation of power to force a person to reciprocate 'love' will never result in true love, only fearful submissiveness. It is an abominable abuse of power that cannot be justified.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 6 users Like Free Thought's post
02-05-2015, 12:42 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2015 01:59 AM by Free Thought.)
Ahh fuck sakes, post isn't showing through...
Rarely has my avatar been so fitting.

Nope, fixed it. I maintain the avatar statement though; in light of that fuck up, it remains applicable.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
02-05-2015, 04:44 AM
(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  The more anyone tries to disprove God - the more joy and confidence it gives me. My intellectual peacocking, intelligence, memory palace, IQ, reasoning is not what God is after. I could be the smartest man in the room of the greatest minds, or the village idiot - what God wants, nay: What he is jealous most for - is my heart. He wants it all.

And I want to give my whole heart to the King of the universe. And it's a very very tough task to surrender to him. A lifelong adventure that is absolutely amazing.

It's about a relationship with the creator. To worship and celebrate the creator and not the created. To look death square in the eyes and laugh - With unwavering confidence.

You see, I don't need your approval to feel loved. I just ask God my father. He provides it all and then some.

He is a very personal God. He has the best for me. Right here, right now. For enterity. The battle has already been won.

There is absolutely nothing anyone can say or do that will turn me away from the one who loves me the most. If I'm angry at God I tell him. If I'm happy with God I tell him. He wants my undivided attention. And I chose to give it to the one who sent his son to this world to die a blameless death for us. So that we will have everlasting life with him for eternity.

Like it or not - we live forever. And that is so awesome to think about. I feel good knowing that the life under God's umbrella is blessed. Knowing it gets better and better with each passing moment solidifies the work he set out to do in me with my wretched heart. He turns the worse into the best.
^ Bully for you.

Quote:
I want the same for you as well. All of you are better than me in probably every aspect of your lives. So I see great things for you all. I see God running after you with avengence. And when you turn around in fear of his power, there is one thing above all else that he will make indoubtly clear. Three words that nothing or noone can conquer: I LOVE YOU.
^ Piss off, lover boy.

I couldn't care less what the fuck you believe. Believe it, live your life by it. Make decisions. I give zero fucks. UNTIL you start pushing your shit on me. UNTIL you start impacting my life with your pathetic delusions. UNTIL you start with the "I want the same for you" bullshit. FUCK off, I don't want your shit.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
02-05-2015, 05:47 AM
(02-05-2015 12:41 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(01-05-2015 11:10 PM)Shinosky Wrote:  intelligence, memory palace, IQ, reasoning is not what God is after.

That just makes it sound like your god is after everybody to be a bunch of as maximally unintelligent rubes as possible.
Additionally, what is a 'memory palace'?

I remember seeing it on Sherlock: method of loci. Not sure why God wouldn't want it because it makes for awesome testimony.

#sigh