Can anyone explain how this wasn't God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2015, 08:39 AM
RE: Can anyone explain how this wasn't God?
worship:

reverent honor and homage paid to God or a sacred personage, or to any object regarded as sacred
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2015, 09:02 AM
(12-05-2015 08:39 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  worship:

reverent honor and homage paid to God or a sacred personage, or to any object regarded as sacred

And you perform acts of worship every single second of your life - whether you know it or not. We all serve someone or something. You can't serve nothing. You are either serving yourself which is bad, or you are serving God, or you are serving others, or you are serving an object.

It's basic truth. For a real thinker, I mean a really deep deep thinker - this can't and won't be denied.

“Because here's something else that's weird but true: in the day-to day trenches of adult life, there is actually no such thing as atheism. There is no such thing as not worshipping. Everybody worships. The only choice we get is what to worship. And the compelling reason for maybe choosing some sort of god or spiritual-type thing to worship—be it JC or Allah, be it YHWH or the Wiccan Mother Goddess, or the Four Noble Truths, or some inviolable set of ethical principles—is that pretty much anything else you worship will eat you alive. If you worship money and things, if they are where you tap real meaning in life, then you will never have enough, never feel you have enough. It's the truth. Worship your body and beauty and sexual allure and you will always feel ugly. And when time and age start showing, you will die a million deaths before they finally grieve you. On one level, we all know this stuff already. It's been codified as myths, proverbs, clichés, epigrams, parables; the skeleton of every great story. The whole trick is keeping the truth up front in daily consciousness.”

― David Foster Wallace, This Is Water: Some Thoughts, Delivered on a Significant Occasion, about Living a Compassionate Life
12-05-2015, 09:19 AM
(12-05-2015 09:02 AM)Shinosky Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 08:39 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  worship:

And you perform acts of worship every single second of your life - whether you know it or not. We all serve someone or something. You can't serve nothing. You are either serving yourself which is bad, or you are serving God, or you are serving others, or you are serving an object.

It's basic truth. For a real thinker, I mean a really deep deep thinker - this can't and won't be denied.

“Because here's something else that's weird but true: in the day-to day trenches of adult life, there is actually no such thing as atheism. There is no such thing as not worshipping. Everybody worships. The only choice we get is what to worship. And the compelling reason for maybe choosing some sort of god or spiritual-type thing to worship—be it JC or Allah, be it YHWH or the Wiccan Mother Goddess, or the Four Noble Truths, or some inviolable set of ethical principles—is that pretty much anything else you worship will eat you alive. If you worship money and things, if they are where you tap real meaning in life, then you will never have enough, never feel you have enough. It's the truth. Worship your body and beauty and sexual allure and you will always feel ugly. And when time and age start showing, you will die a million deaths before they finally grieve you. On one level, we all know this stuff already. It's been codified as myths, proverbs, clichés, epigrams, parables; the skeleton of every great story. The whole trick is keeping the truth up front in daily consciousness.”

― David Foster Wallace, This Is Water: Some Thoughts, Delivered on a Significant Occasion, about Living a Compassionate Life

An author isn't an arbiter on something about life or what a term means.

When you water down terms to generic stances that apply to all situations, you're arguing in a worthless manner with people. Based on YOUR Definition and concept you want to adherently stick to because it fills your mental agenda, everyone "worships" something. Just like I've heard other hippies say, "everyone has some religious belief, that's why it's called faith!" But those ideas complete ignore how those terms aren't static and with 1 universal concept. No, not everyone has a religious faith or worships on most standard definitions of the terms used.

This is the same as your saying Love conquered all, which you still never answered what about those psychopaths, as based on your other statements of being without god or so, it doesn't withstand to say love conquered them.

It's as meaningful as me saying, see You're an atheist because you don't believe in Zeus or Freya. Not really, only in a not explaining the context of the situation by terms being used manner.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-05-2015, 09:20 AM
(12-05-2015 07:16 AM)Shinosky Wrote:  
(11-05-2015 03:02 PM)Esquilax Wrote:  Yeah, I don't think you're actually allowed to take the credit for all the good things I'll ever do and place it with your imaginary friend. Drinking Beverage

I dare you to go practice medicine in say a third world country like Uganda. Most if not all the ballers in your field are Christians that don't fear helping the ones that really need help. *yawn*

Does that have anything to do with what I just said? Is that relevant in any way to you ripping off anyone who has ever done anything good or worthy of admiration, in service to a god you're not even interested in demonstrating?

No. No it is not. So quit dodging and address insane overreach and complete lack of disregard for human boundaries you just showed.
12-05-2015, 09:28 AM
(12-05-2015 09:19 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 09:02 AM)Shinosky Wrote:  And you perform acts of worship every single second of your life - whether you know it or not. We all serve someone or something. You can't serve nothing. You are either serving yourself which is bad, or you are serving God, or you are serving others, or you are serving an object.

An author isn't an arbiter on something about life or what a term means.

When you water down terms to generic stances that apply to all situations, you're arguing in a worthless manner with people. Based on YOUR Definition and concept you want to adherently stick to because it fills your mental agenda, everyone "worships" something. Just like I've heard other hippies say, "everyone has some religious belief, that's why it's called faith!" But those ideas complete ignore how those terms aren't static and with 1 universal concept. No, not everyone has a religious faith or worships on most standard definitions of the terms used.

This is the same as your saying Love conquered all, which you still never answered what about those psychopaths, as based on your other statements of being without god or so, it doesn't withstand to say love conquered them.

It's as meaningful as me saying, see You're an atheist because you don't believe in Zeus or Freya. Not really, only in a not explaining the context of the situation by terms being used manner.

LOL...You cannot deny you serve something or someone. You just can't. Every deep thinker know this to be truth. Some say science - which is only a tool. It's just plain rebellion and ignorance to say you don't worship.
12-05-2015, 09:30 AM
(12-05-2015 08:23 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 08:17 AM)Shinosky Wrote:  lol....I have found a crack in your defenses. Let me ask you this - are you God?

Define 'god'.

lol...you believe yourself to be a god. You are not far off! Ok - we are getting somewhere.
12-05-2015, 09:41 AM
(12-05-2015 09:28 AM)Shinosky Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 09:19 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  An author isn't an arbiter on something about life or what a term means.

LOL...You cannot deny you serve something or someone. You just can't. Every deep thinker know this to be truth. Some say science - which is only a tool. It's just plain rebellion and ignorance to say you don't worship.

Serve does not exactly equal Worship. Try using language and logic in some other ways other than static thought.

Or you can then say, you made a mistake, but posters of your nature don't often go that route. And by worship all you mean is serve, which does not have the same definition or connotation that worship carries.

12-05-2015, 09:46 AM
(12-05-2015 09:41 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 09:28 AM)Shinosky Wrote:  LOL...You cannot deny you serve something or someone. You just can't. Every deep thinker know this to be truth. Some say science - which is only a tool. It's just plain rebellion and ignorance to say you don't worship.

Serve does not exactly equal Worship. Try using language and logic in some other ways other than static thought.

Or you can then say, you made a mistake, but posters of your nature don't often go that route. And by worship all you mean is serve, which does not have the same definition or connotation that worship carries.

You can try to get technical with it but, you know logic is faulty. The deepest and best thinkers know that thinking about the answer only can go so far. There is more to life then logic and reasoning. We know this.
12-05-2015, 09:48 AM
(12-05-2015 07:23 AM)Shinosky Wrote:  Until you except this ...

That may be the only thing you've posted that I think is on the mark. I except everything you claim.

You are either one of the most delusional fools I've ever run across or an extremely bad poe. I hope it is the latter as, despite much anecdotal evidence to the contrary, I still find it hard to accept that anybody can be that ignorant.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
12-05-2015, 09:53 AM
(12-05-2015 09:46 AM)Shinosky Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 09:41 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Serve does not exactly equal Worship. Try using language and logic in some other ways other than static thought.

You can try to get technical with it but, you know logic is faulty. The deepest and best thinkers know that thinking about the answer only can go so far. There is more to life then logic and reasoning. We know this.

Yes there is indeed, But if we are trying to be open in communication and make any coherence or impact on people, we need to try to stretch past boundaries and labels of concepts. We are trying to engage in communication by responding on a forum.

If you would admit to fault by saying, your idea by worship is simply along the lines of serving or giving a lot of attention and detail to something, then I'd be more willing to engage with you. If you instead want to continue to ignore responses of points to your comments, then the amount of people even bothering to read them will dwindle.