Can anyone explain this to me?!?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2012, 09:01 AM
RE: Can anyone explain this to me?!?
Their entire belief system is based on "believe what I believe or you will be in pain" . You don't believe what they believe and you are in pain. Your circumstance reaffirms their belief.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
26-11-2012, 12:51 PM
(23-11-2012 03:48 PM)crippledatheist Wrote:  Why is it that religious people, and in my case christians, wait until the worst possible time to persecute, argue with, and bash my beliefs not only on thanksgiving week, but when I am currently in the hospital fighting back from a near fatal case of E-coli and Pneumonia. These people who I thought loved me and cared about me, as a family should, have done nothing but told me that i am wrong, and if my sickness kills me, that I will burn in a lake a fire and brimstone. So can anyone explain that to me? No Huh Weeping Consider
It won't ease the annoyance any, but it's because they love you and therefore don't want you to go to hell, which they obviously believe in. Your illness likely makes time seem shorter so they probably feel a greater sense of urgency to try to save you especially now that you are ill.

Silence is only golden when it's not synonymous with a failure to speak out against injustice.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes." --Gene Roddenberry
26-11-2012, 12:58 PM
(24-11-2012 04:25 AM)Egor Wrote:  unarguably,
Laughat

Egor Wrote:his opinion carries a lot of weight.
Like lead and dead weight.

Egor Wrote:P.S. Can we please get a wider array of emoticons. I feel unable to express myself emotionally with what we have. No

Agreed. I really needed a ROTFL emoticon above. Yes

Silence is only golden when it's not synonymous with a failure to speak out against injustice.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes." --Gene Roddenberry
10-03-2013, 03:03 PM
(24-11-2012 04:25 AM)Egor Wrote:  Well...I don't mean to fart in the elevator here, but it's pretty clear that if you were to say to Jesus, "I don't believe God exists and I never will," he'd tell you you were going to hell. He might even have some more choice words for you. After all, you not only have to believe in God, you have to believe he is the Son of God to escape hell.

Since, unarguably, Jesus Christ is the most important human to have ever lived, his opinion carries a lot of weight.

My suggestion? If you're going to be an atheist--don't die. Evil_monster
That's the plan. So far, so good -- to paraphrase the Great, not yet late, Steven Wright.

You can argue all you like that Jesus is the most important human to ever have lived, but there isn't even solid evidence that he ever existed let alone that he did even the physically possible fraction of his alleged deeds. His opinion is all over that map and as more people read all his opinions and the opinions and orders of his Father (who is supposed to also be Jesus and some other guy -- how the hell is that even logically possible?) -- more and more of us realize that all gods and spirits are just stories. Stories no less scary and no more believable than Grimm's Fairy Tales. Science has a pretty reliable built-in bullshit detector and when you apply it to religion, it just keeps beeping like crazy. There's BS in them thar holey books!

"Heresy makes for progress" - Hypatia Bradlaugh Bonner
[1 Corinthians 13:11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - The Bible King James Version. See? Even the Bible says "Put me down!" Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like ufo42's post
10-03-2013, 04:00 PM

(10-03-2013 03:03 PM)ufo42 Wrote:  That's the plan. So far, so good -- to paraphrase the Great, not yet late, Steven Wright.

You are going to die, Steven Wright; you really need to realize that.

Quote:You can argue all you like that Jesus is the most important human to ever have lived, but there isn't even solid evidence that he ever existed let alone that he did even the physically possible fraction of his alleged deeds. His opinion is all over that map and as more people read all his opinions and the opinions and orders of his Father (who is supposed to also be Jesus and some other guy -- how the hell is that even logically possible?) -- more and more of us realize that all gods and spirits are just stories. Stories no less scary and no more believable than Grimm's Fairy Tales. Science has a pretty reliable built-in bullshit detector and when you apply it to religion, it just keeps beeping like crazy. There's BS in them thar holey books!

You're not born again, so you don't have the insight to understand the Gospel teachings of Jesus Christ. You are on the outside looking in, so all you see are paradoxes and contradictions. The Gospel was designed that way.

As for whether Jesus lived historically or not--it doesn't matter.

Not anymore. Drinking Beverage
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2013, 04:03 PM
(10-03-2013 04:00 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 03:03 PM)ufo42 Wrote:  That's the plan. So far, so good -- to paraphrase the Great, not yet late, Steven Wright.

Quote:You can argue all you like that Jesus is the most important human to ever have lived, but there isn't even solid evidence that he ever existed let alone that he did even the physically possible fraction of his alleged deeds. His opinion is all over that map and as more people read all his opinions and the opinions and orders of his Father (who is supposed to also be Jesus and some other guy -- how the hell is that even logically possible?) -- more and more of us realize that all gods and spirits are just stories. Stories no less scary and no more believable than Grimm's Fairy Tales. Science has a pretty reliable built-in bullshit detector and when you apply it to religion, it just keeps beeping like crazy. There's BS in them thar holey books!

You're not born again, so you don't have the insight to understand the Gospel teachings of Jesus Christ. You are on the outside looking in, so all you see are paradoxes and contradictions. The Gospel was designed that way.

The gospel is designed for only Christians to understand? I think not. However, you may very well be trapped in this box you speak of.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
[+] 3 users Like kellyrm's post
10-03-2013, 04:10 PM
(25-11-2012 08:46 AM)crippledatheist Wrote:  
(25-11-2012 01:56 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  It is because they know that if heaven exists, it just won't be any good without you. Therefore it is not heaven. They are trying to make sense of beliefs that don't make sense that were forced on them a long time ago.
Aww thanks alot, your probably right. My family always said I was a miracle because I was supposed to be in a wheel chair forever. But I eventually started walking on crutches and had a kid with my wife and all that. All they can say is thank god and they hate when I say it wasnt god, it was my will power and the medical proffesionals.
That's awesome. I'm lucky to have family that's not "crazy" religions. But I was having a serious conversation with a coworker who was giving me a ride for a while when my car was broke. Takes
the bible totally literal crazy christain. And whenever he would get judgmental I would stop him and say something about Jesus and how I thought he said not to judge people..hmmmm.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
10-03-2013, 07:07 PM
(10-03-2013 04:00 PM)Egor Wrote:  

Right, the truth of the stories doesn't matter anymore because those of us who were born right the first time have all put them where they belong in the 2nd rate fiction pile. As for the redoubtable Steven Wright, He's a comedian. One of the essential characteristics of a successful comedian is that you have to be very intelligent. I'm sure Steven is as aware of his mortality as the rest of us are.

My paraphrase of Steven was from something known to us unborn again undead as a joke. You should look up the word. Maybe you will learn something... wait, no, sorry about that, I forgot... learning something is against your religion because in order to learn something you would have to admit that you don't already know everything on faith.

As for being on the outside looking in. I wasn't always outside, I just figured out that it was all BS (call it Bible Studies or Bull Shit... it amounts to the same thing). I guess part of being born again is that it never occurs to you to wonder about anything, least of all why your imaginary sky dictator, while being billed as "so loving that he gave his son to be tortured and killed in order to forgive our sins" is at the same time so vicious as to give his son and countless others who in most cases through no fault of their own don't know about Him -- to be tortured and killed and in most cases tortured over and over again forever in hell. In the real world, being that vicious is incompatible with being characterized as loving. It obviously also never occurred to you to wonder why anyone who literally obeyed all the 600+ commandments in the Christian Bible (pick your version, they all agree on this) -- would be in jail for life in any modern democratic country. If you troubled yourself to actually read everything in your "good book", you might join the millions of good, intelligent, caring people around the world who agree with Dawkins' characterization of the God of Abraham as "The most unpleasant character in all of fiction." Full disclaimer: I myself have not read the whole thing because of its overwhelmingly soporific nature, but in addition to reading enough to convince myself that it is bullshit, I have looked up the chapters and verses where specific misdeeds of your KIM IL GOD are documented in their gory and disgusting details. You can too. Just dig up a copy of Dan Barker's book "Godless" for the chapter and verse references. Dan was able to actually read his "good book" in an effort (as an evangelical minister, Christian musician, and apologist) to refute the arguments of unbelievers against his faith. In the end, his thoroughness and intellectual honesty led him to the conclusion that it was all BS and we unbelievers were, in fact, telling the real Truth about the Bible. Drinking Beverage As for me, there's not enough coffee in the world to keep me awake for more than a half dozen pages or so of BS (Bible Study in this case) . Laughat

[1 Corinthians 13:11] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. - The Bible King James Version. See? Even the Bible says "Put me down!" Big Grin
10-03-2013, 07:12 PM
(10-03-2013 04:03 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  The gospel is designed for only Christians to understand? I think not. However, you may very well be trapped in this box you speak of.
The gospel is designed to befuddle and frighten everyone so they will join the Christian death-cult.

BTW, I love your signature line. Where is that from? It's a great aphorism.

[+] 1 user Likes ufo42's post
10-03-2013, 07:35 PM
(10-03-2013 07:12 PM)ufo42 Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 04:03 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  The gospel is designed for only Christians to understand? I think not. However, you may very well be trapped in this box you speak of.
The gospel is designed to befuddle and frighten everyone so they will join the Christian death-cult.

BTW, I love your signature line. Where is that from? It's a great aphorism.
I don't know...google said it was anonymous Smile But I love it!

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can someone explain... smileXsmileXsmile 18 422 21-07-2014 09:39 AM
Last Post: atheistsince1950
  Trying To Explain Differences Between Faith, Science, Laws And Theories WindyCityJazz 5 107 20-07-2014 07:27 AM
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
  How do you explain this to a Christian? Shadow Fox 17 382 03-05-2014 09:09 PM
Last Post: Minimalist
  how can i explain this? sophonian 17 439 07-04-2014 07:55 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Can a believer explain the justice of the original sins curses? Reltzik 61 1,594 23-12-2013 10:20 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Reasoned faith? Please explain BlackMason 27 800 21-12-2013 07:24 PM
Last Post: Hafnof
  How do you explain death to a child? J-Hova 24 502 15-11-2013 08:05 AM
Last Post: WitchSabrina