Can anyone name some decent Gods?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Can anyone name some decent Gods?
Whether they're from a book, or show, or movie. No one genocidal, or perverse, or incompetent. Basically beatings, rapes, murders are non existent or there's something else to it (perhaps they're not all powerful, but they're trying?).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2012, 06:02 PM
RE: Can anyone name some decent Gods?
The old Roman and Greek gods such as Zeus,Eros,Poseidon, Thor, et al ,used to party a lot among themselves and with the mortals. Thor threw the occasional thunderbolt when he was angry; unlike Yahwew , I don't think he was into stoning naughty kids at the City Gates. Angel
08-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Damn, I got beat to the mention of Thor...

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
08-12-2012, 06:16 PM
The Greek gods were full of acts of torture, rape, murder.

The Norse mythology I know less about, but nothing overtly negative. Other than encouraging perpetual warfare and slaughter, as I understand it.
08-12-2012, 06:18 PM
(08-12-2012 05:56 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Whether they're from a book, or show, or movie. No one genocidal, or perverse, or incompetent. Basically beatings, rapes, murders are non existent or there's something else to it (perhaps they're not all powerful, but they're trying?).
George Burns in Oh, God!

Sir Ralph Richardson in Time Bandits

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Dionysus god of wine, ecstasy and party rocking Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
08-12-2012, 06:27 PM
(08-12-2012 06:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 05:56 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Whether they're from a book, or show, or movie. No one genocidal, or perverse, or incompetent. Basically beatings, rapes, murders are non existent or there's something else to it (perhaps they're not all powerful, but they're trying?).
George Burns in Oh, God!

Could you give a summary on the nature of those Gods? Basically what do they do, and what does the world looks like in their care?
08-12-2012, 07:11 PM
(08-12-2012 06:16 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  The Greek gods were full of acts of torture, rape, murder.

The Norse mythology I know less about, but nothing overtly negative. Other than encouraging perpetual warfare and slaughter, as I understand it.
When it comes to polytheistic religiosities, such as those of pre-Christian Northern Europe and the ancient Greeks, different aspects of the life and world-view of a culture are spread out on several gods - with several aspects per god.
So as nach_in said, Dionysus can be the god of vine and wild parties, however, being the god of boundaries also express itself in more morbid fashions:
An aspect which can be seen in the omophagia; where his followers held a ritual in form of a game of hunting. A game that concluded with the victim (an animal) being teared apart and eaten raw by the participants.

In terms of Norse Mythology a god like Odin is not only god of wisdom, poetry, kings and mead but also a god of death and war. When he is what is contextual.
08-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Aphrodite. Cool

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
08-12-2012, 09:58 PM
(08-12-2012 06:27 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  
(08-12-2012 06:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  George Burns in Oh, God!

Could you give a summary on the nature of those Gods? Basically what do they do, and what does the world looks like in their care?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user