Can anyone suggest a good book or blog?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2012, 09:16 AM

Can anyone suggest a good book or blog?
I finished reviewing Wintery Knight on my website and I would like to get any suggestions as to another blog I can review.

Also, I'm almost ready to review "The Shack" by William Young, and I'm looking for another book to review, something with a spiritual or religious theme, not something Christian, just something with supernatural elements, even a good horror story. Something like The Da Vinci Code would fit. Unknown or little known authors are preferred.

Any ideas?
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2012, 09:17 AM
RE: Can anyone suggest a good book or blog?
(03-05-2012 09:16 AM)Egor Wrote:  I finished reviewing Wintery Knight on my website and I would like to get any suggestions as to another blog I can review.

Also, I'm almost ready to review "The Shack" by William Young, and I'm looking for another book to review, something with a spiritual or religious theme, not something Christian, just something with supernatural elements, even a good horror story. Something like The Da Vinci Code would fit. Unknown or little known authors are preferred.

Any ideas?
I know GameFAQs has a religion forum.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2012, 09:30 AM
A good book with a supernatural element....

Stephen King:

The Stand
IT
The Green Mile

Neil Gaiman:

American Gods
Good Omens

Shirley Jackson:

The Haunting Of Hill House

Thich Nhat Hanh :
The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2012, 09:37 AM
(03-05-2012 09:16 AM)Egor Wrote:  I finished reviewing Wintery Knight on my website and I would like to get any suggestions as to another blog I can review.

Any ideas?
How about The Greatest Saleman in the World by Og Mandino.

It was given to me during a sales internship in college, and while it has obviously Christian undertones, it's actually a fairly handy guide for being a good sales person (and person in general).

P.S. I noticed a typo in your Wintery Knight review (the title says "reveiw"). Also, it might be helpful for you to know the full story on how Wintery treats commentors that disagree with his point of view. The guy has some serious behavioral issues.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
03-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Desperation of Stephen King could be good
03-05-2012, 04:01 PM
If you've never read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Persig, you've gotta. It's a book about philosophy, specifically epistemology, and it was a best-seller for years.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
03-05-2012, 04:06 PM

(03-05-2012 09:37 AM)lightninlives Wrote:  How about The Greatest Saleman in the World by Og Mandino.

It was given to me during a sales internship in college, and while it has obviously Christian undertones, it's actually a fairly handy guide for being a good sales person (and person in general).

P.S. I noticed a typo in your Wintery Knight review (the title says "reveiw"). Also, it might be helpful for you to know the full story on how Wintery treats commentors that disagree with his point of view. The guy has some serious behavioral issues.

Wow. The guy really is a prick isn't he? I only gave him two stars. But the right wing politico-religious are really grotesque individuals anyway.

As for Og Mandingo's book, I'd really rather stay away from Christian bent books for a while. This one I'm doing now, "The Shack" makes me want to become an atheist. I honestly believe the author is an atheist trying to bring down Chrisitianity. I am coming to truly hate modern Christians and I'm beginning to wonder if there is any difference in believing in some perverted notion of God and not believing in God at all. I mean, if you believe in something that isn't real, what's the difference?

If you want to make someone an atheist here's the ingredients you need:

Someone who believes in God
A copy of Religulous
A copy of The Shack
A link to Wintery Knight's Blog
Various books by Lee Stroble

With that combination, no thinking human could stand to think about God ever again. All it does to me though is to make me close my shell, hang out the "Do Not Disturb" sign and therein I am with God as I have been since I was a child. Fuck everyone else. Now, on a lighter note:

P.S. Thanks for the edit, I fixed "review."
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Egor's post
03-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Variety is good for the mind, try the book - The Man In The High Castle ~ Philip K Dick

It's quite engrossing and very well written.

Haven't re-read it in ages and am thinking of doing so if I get some time this year.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
03-05-2012, 05:01 PM
"How to Hook your Paramecium up to an EEG", by Dr. Frankenstein

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
03-05-2012, 08:56 PM
(03-05-2012 04:06 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(03-05-2012 09:37 AM)lightninlives Wrote:  How about The Greatest Saleman in the World by Og Mandino.

Wow. The guy really is a prick isn't he? I only gave him two stars. But the right wing politico-religious are really grotesque individuals anyway.

As for Og Mandingo's book, I'd really rather stay away from Christian bent books for a while. This one I'm doing now, "The Shack" makes me want to become an atheist. I honestly believe the author is an atheist trying to bring down Chrisitianity. I am coming to truly hate modern Christians and I'm beginning to wonder if there is any difference in believing in some perverted notion of God and not believing in God at all. I mean, if you believe in something that isn't real, what's the difference?

If you want to make someone an atheist here's the ingredients you need:

Someone who believes in God
A copy of Religulous
A copy of The Shack
A link to Wintery Knight's Blog
Various books by Lee Stroble

With that combination, no thinking human could stand to think about God ever again. All it does to me though is to make me close my shell, hang out the "Do Not Disturb" sign and therein I am with God as I have been since I was a child. Fuck everyone else. Now, on a lighter note:

P.S. Thanks for the edit, I fixed "review."
I actually don't believe that atheism is a choice, so I won't encourage you take the plunge.

That said, I agree that the ingredients you listed will do the trick. My wife, who is a theist, walked away from "Religulous" with the same disdain for religious doctrine that I have.

By the way, I encourage you to watch "The Atheist Tapes." It's a fairly obscure series of interviews with scholarly types. The main value for me was how these folks expressed that atheism doesn't take away the sublime moments that are typically associated with "religious" experiences or "divine revelation." That really helped me bridge gap from "agnostic" to atheist (I know, I know, one denotes knowledge the other belief, but whatever).

Just today I had seriously intense wave of emotion while listening to "Shaolin Temple" by Barrington Levy (amazing reggae dub track) and thinking about my young son.

I get these experiences on a fairly routine basis and they seem to have intensified and come with more frequency ever since I fully came to terms with my atheism. And the funny part is that since I don't attach them to anything supernatural, I can actually just still my mind and simply enjoy their fleeting beauty then get back to my daily grind.

I think that this is the little secret about atheism, at least for me. It's literally the opposite of what most theists think. It opens the door to reality. And reality is far more awe-inspiring than any god of the imagination.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted