Can anyone suggest a good book or blog?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2012, 10:14 PM
RE: Can anyone suggest a good book or blog?
(03-05-2012 09:16 AM)Egor Wrote:  I finished reviewing Wintery Knight on my website and I would like to get any suggestions as to another blog I can review.

Also, I'm almost ready to review "The Shack" by William Young, and I'm looking for another book to review, something with a spiritual or religious theme, not something Christian, just something with supernatural elements, even a good horror story. Something like The Da Vinci Code would fit. Unknown or little known authors are preferred.

Any ideas?

Letting Go of God by Julia Sweeney
She also has a video monologue of the book.

publius2k4

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
[Image: tumblr_lvj8iyIABB1r2fzujo1_500.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes publius2k4's post
04-05-2012, 05:34 AM
Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, starting with The Golden Compass. The movie was good but it appears that the second and third book will not become movies, thanks to (apparently) the opposition by the catholic church. I really liked the books, the fantasy and the religious undertones are very well intermeshed.
04-05-2012, 05:48 AM
I hope you read Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy Egor, that is my All-Time-Favourite...

As for this...

Quote: I am coming to truly hate modern Christians and I'm beginning to wonder if there is any difference in believing in some perverted notion of God and not believing in God at all. I mean, if you believe in something that isn't real, what's the difference?
...this is how I was thinking about 10 years ago and look where it brought me today! Now there is just one question that you need to start asking. How do you know you believe in the real thing?

I would like to take a moment here and be the first one to congratulate Egor on becoming an atheist, let me be the first one to tell you CONGRATULATIONS and WELCOME. You may not realise this yet, it is questionable will you ever free your mind and realise it, but you are.

Big Grin

Don't be afraid, you will not start eating babies, you will be as normal as you are now, nothing at all will change in your life if/when you admit that you are just indoctrinated and that there is no God.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 3 users Like Filox's post
04-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Hey Egor, this is just like you preaching to us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP4ryY5ZL...re=related
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2012, 01:34 PM
(04-05-2012 07:41 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Hey Egor, this is just like you preaching to us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP4ryY5ZL...re=related
That's pretty off-topic. Did you have a good book or blog to suggest? You might even feel free to post a link to your own blog here.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
04-05-2012, 01:48 PM
If you would like a forum to review I suggest this one.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72

It's high in users and post traffic and has a very diverse group of people.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
04-05-2012, 02:28 PM

(03-05-2012 04:36 PM)kim Wrote:  Variety is good for the mind, try the book - The Man In The High Castle ~ Philip K Dick

It's quite engrossing and very well written.

Haven't re-read it in ages and am thinking of doing so if I get some time this year.

Thank you. I checked it out on Amazon, but I'm looking for a more recent work. He has a lot of novels out though. I'm sure he's a great writer.

(03-05-2012 08:56 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  I actually don't believe that atheism is a choice, so I won't encourage you take the plunge.

You know, I'm beginning to think you're right. I couldn't be an atheist if I tried, given what I've experienced. But what would I be if I had not experienced those things? I can tell you this, I am so sickened by the modern Christian Church, and God knows it, that if I hadn't had my personal experiences, I'd have ditched the whole kit and kaboodle, just like atheist do.

I mean, let me ask you this: What does it mean to believe in Jesus Christ? Follow his teachings? Admit that his adherence to the truth is the only way to God? What? To be quite honest, I don't know. And that was 2000 years ago. We have the Gospel message. I get it; I really do, but hell, so do most atheists. Is hypocrisy wrong? Is gross materialism wrong? Is not seeking the truth wrong? Is hating your neighbor wrong? Is loving your neighbor right? Most atheists would answer yes to all those, just like me. And Jesus never seemed to make it a requirement to believe in God. His disciples said, "Show us the Father." He didn't give them an argument, he just said "Look at me." In other words, I'm beginning to wonder whether believing in God even matters.

I personally believe when we die and enter our lucid spiritual plane, that God will be even more unobservable then than he is now, because we will be filling most of the shoes he wears here in this universe.

I will always believe in God. I will always pray to God and listen to God, that's not even a question. But I'm wondering how important my fight against atheism really is. Just believing in God in an atheist forum may be all the fight that's required.

I don't know. I've just been thinking a lot.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Egor's post
04-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Welp.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
04-05-2012, 03:26 PM
(04-05-2012 02:28 PM)Egor Wrote:  Variety is good for the mind, try the book - The Man In The High Castle ~ Philip K Dick It's quite engrossing and very well written.
Haven't re-read it in ages and am thinking of doing so if I get some time this year.
(04-05-2012 02:28 PM)Egor Wrote:  Thank you. I checked it out on Amazon, but I'm looking for a more recent work. He has a lot of novels out though. I'm sure he's a great writer.
Well, of course he's a great writer: he's dead -the dead ones are the best!! Big Grin

Seriously though, his work is very relevant and quite timeless. I suppose much of his work is categorized in realm of science fiction, but I this one is much more of a philosophic novel; no outer space stuff going on here.

It's good to know you've been thinking Egor... I spend 3 solid hours each day doing nothing but thinking while I drive. It's ok. Transition, you know? Shy

Anyway, enjoy your Summer reading! Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
04-05-2012, 03:32 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2012 06:44 PM by Bucky Ball.)
There's a blog called "The Veridican", if you're looking for laughs. Weeping
Seriously, keep this up, and I'll have to undo my -1.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post