Can anyone suggest a good book or blog?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2012, 09:34 AM
RE: Can anyone suggest a good book or blog?
How could I have forgotten?
Last night while driving, who should pop into my head but: Richard Preston!!

Richard Preston - great author - I love his work. And he's very contemporary. He's probably best known for writing about virus and biological weaponry - stuff like that. He is a research journalist as well as a biologist so his books can be about anything very well researched.
One of his became a best seller: The Hot Zone (early 90s non fiction) - it was also a movie, but it looks like they just used the title and the setting -movie sucked.

Here's a small list off the top of my head:

The Cobra Event - fiction - (late 80s)

The Demon in the Freezer -non fiction
The Wild Trees - non fiction
Panic in Level 4: Cannibals, Killer Viruses, and Other Journeys to the Edge of Science -non fiction

early 90s non fiction:
First Light: The Search for the Edge of the Universe
American Steel: Hot Metal Men and the Resurrection of the Rust Belt

All well crafted stories and his more recent work has become more precisely chiseled; I think he found his groove.
Any of these are entertaining and well worth a look. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2012, 10:22 AM
(05-05-2012 06:15 AM)bwilson Wrote:  How bout this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Canticle-Leibowitz...ap_title_0

I just finished it. If the reviews interest you, I'll be glad to mail it to you for shipping cost alone (probably $3-ish). Let me know.
I LOVE THIS BOOK! It's sooo sosososososososo good!

I think I might have recommended it before but I'm gonna toot my horn for Irving Stone: The Agony and The Ecstasy. Biography of Michaelangelo - I believe partly fictional... One of my all time faves.
10-05-2012, 05:48 PM

(05-05-2012 06:15 AM)bwilson Wrote:  How bout this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Canticle-Leibowitz...ap_title_0

I just finished it. If the reviews interest you, I'll be glad to mail it to you for shipping cost alone (probably $3-ish). Let me know.

Thanks very much, B. I will keep it in mind. It does sound quite interesting.

(05-05-2012 02:30 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Hey Egor - A little off the type of book you were after but I highly recommend Brothers Karamazov if you haven't read it already.

Great book, Kid Charlemagne. A little too deep for the intended audience of my reviews. But a great book, for sure.

(06-05-2012 03:26 PM)lightninlives Wrote:  My sincere suggestion is that you spend some time reading books and watching Youtube videos on the obsurdity of hell/heaven/eternal life. Even if you choose to continue believing in the god concept, I think that letting go of absurd concepts like heaven and hell will serve you well.

You mention twice that you will never be an atheist, so I just wanted to point out that:
1) absolutes are usually not a good thing (e.g. never say never)
2) I used to say the exact same thing (as have many atheists I've come across)
3) My friend, who transitioned from advaitism to a non-Hindu stance non-duality, often comments that he accepts both atheism and theism. He considers both dualistic constructs of the mind, neither of which a representative of objective reality, but both acceptable within his particular viewpoint (same goes for any other word or concept you can think of).

You know, I'm not completely sure my definition of God even qualifies as "theistic." I believe that God is the monistic entity of fundamental consciousness. And if one follows the implications of that all the way, they will see that we have our inception in God as well as our ultimate termination as persons. It also means that the ultimate substance of all things is God.

But if all there is is God, then there really is no God. If God is the only thing that exists, then there is no "other" being we can point to and say, "That's God." I would have to be other than God in order to make the statement "God exists."

So, I think I can see where your friend is coming from. And maybe that's why I hang out with atheists so much.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
10-05-2012, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2012 06:48 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-05-2012 05:48 PM)Egor Wrote:  If God is the only thing that exists, then there is no "other" being we can point to and say, "That's God." I would have to be other than God in order to make the statement "God exists."

Bah. I just look in the mirror. That reflection ain't me and it's easy enough to point at. As easy as pointing at everyone else in my field of view.

(10-05-2012 05:48 PM)Egor Wrote:  You know, I'm not completely sure my definition of God even qualifies as "theistic." I believe that God is the monistic entity of fundamental consciousness.

If you get rid of the adjectives and just say "I believe that God is consciousness.", we ain't far apart. ... Hell, "God is conscious." sounds even better and more succinct. ... I don't "believe" that God should be reinterpreted as consciousness, but I am giving it a hard look. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.