Can god create a contradiction?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2012, 04:29 PM
RE: Can god create a contradiction?
(30-01-2012 04:20 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Not you as in you, Zat. I just meant in general. I wasn't in anyway demeaning your mental prowess. This is why "you" is such a useless word in English... it's so ambiguous.

In that case, pending further clarifications, I rest my case. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2012, 04:34 PM
(30-01-2012 04:29 PM)Zat Wrote:  
(30-01-2012 04:20 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Not you as in you, Zat. I just meant in general. I wasn't in anyway demeaning your mental prowess. This is why "you" is such a useless word in English... it's so ambiguous.

In that case, pending further clarifications, I rest my case. Big Grin

In what? Saying that Galileo contradicted himself?

Something is either infinite or not. This is what I was referring to as "trying to wrap your mind around".

An infinite has no finite end and cannot be help to finite standards. Any finite standard simply doesn't exist next to infinite.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
30-01-2012, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2012 04:40 PM by Jackrabbit.)
Sorry KC i dont buy it, It's a simple logic

Is god all powerfull
yes _| |_ no
|
Can he make an object so heavy he cant lift it?
yes _| |_ no
|________|
Then he's not all powerfull

So either it's a natural "god" A.K.A an advanced being that evolved through natural selection and is bound by the same natural laws
or he's an impotent god which means all the religions of the world are wrong because they've all revealed that god is all powerfull
Or doesn't exist, which is the logical position because we have no reason to believe a god or gods exist or "Godly Aliens". <- aliens are highly likely though in the universe in general.

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
30-01-2012, 04:40 PM
(30-01-2012 04:36 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  Sorry KC i dont buy it, It's a simple logic

Is god all powerfull
yes _| |_ no
|
Can he make an object so heavy he cant lift it?
yes _| |_ no
|________|
Then he's not all powerfull

Yeah, you created a paradox. Paradoxes are hypothetical and cannot exist. It's much like the grandfather paradox in time travel.

As I said, the very definition of infinite prevents anything finite.

30-01-2012, 04:42 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2012 04:43 PM by Jackrabbit.)
That's why god is also hypothetical because the concept of god is full of such paradoxes Smile
Fun fact: the muslim answer to that question would be "Allah can do anything and we cannot comprehend him with our puny brains, best not to think such blasphemous thoughts"

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
30-01-2012, 04:44 PM
(30-01-2012 04:42 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  That's why god is also hypothetical because the concept of god is full of such paradoxes Smile

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSA5-Gp1S9JnSHs2PvN1Ln...rxT3lz0ibQ]

30-01-2012, 04:45 PM
(30-01-2012 04:44 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(30-01-2012 04:42 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  That's why god is also hypothetical because the concept of god is full of such paradoxes Smile

^ That is why i respect you KC

30-01-2012, 04:50 PM
(30-01-2012 04:45 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  
(30-01-2012 04:44 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

^ That is why i respect you KC

Big Grin

30-01-2012, 04:53 PM
(30-01-2012 03:26 PM)Zat Wrote:  The human mind is wired in such a way that we can not conceive of a possible contradiction.

I suspect you mean paradox. But either way, you are wrong. We can easily conceive of contradiction and paradox, else how could we state one?

Quote:The basic rules of logic are:

The Law of Identity
: Everything is what it is (and cannot, at the same time, be something else).

The Law of Excluded Middle
: Every statement (exactly as it is stated) is either true or false.

The Law of Non-Contradiction: No statement may be simultaneously true and False

All three of these laws state that contradictions can not exist in our Universe. Our hardwired brains just can not conceive of a situation where any one of these rules could be violated.

These are Russell's rules and are not universal. Many modern logical systems reject the Law of the Excluded Middle. Some statement are neither true nor false.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Does infinite even exist? I think infinite is just a concept and it don't reflect the real world. Name something that it's infinite in the real world.