Can god create a contradiction?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2012, 03:34 PM
RE: Can god create a contradiction?
I dunno about christianity, but i have a Quran and if you flip to any random page
you're very likely to land on one of the hundreds of verses that say word for word "God is capable of everything"
The that defeats the Muslim theistic arguments.
Thing about christianity that annoys me is that they're so divided that you would need
33000 arguments for all 33000 denominations XD it's ridiculous, and quite a few of these denominations
make up stuff right out of their asses i dunno why but i've always considered Catholicism and Coptic to be the closest
to the original mythologies and i base my argument around those two.
But hey, at least islam is an easier prey (logistically speaking) with its less than 10 sects and they all disagree mainly on
on history not theology. and the 4 schools of sunni islam differ on minor theological issues such as severity
of punishments, homosexuality to be treated as a separate sin or the same as adultery etc.
And every single islamic sect believes in a literal Quran even the sunni the largest sect (considered the most "moderate")
which was my previous affiliation. There's no such thing as moderatism in islam.

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2012, 04:39 PM
As far as logic is concerned: god says: "do as I say, not as I do!" Big Grin
31-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Isn't any miracle a violation of logic? Take the loaves and fishes for example.

Quote:And they said to Him, “We have here only five loaves and two fish." 18 He said, “Bring them here to Me.” 19 Then He commanded the multitudes to sit down on the grass. And He took the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to heaven, He blessed and broke and gave the loaves to the disciples; and the disciples gave to the multitudes. 20 So they all ate and were filled, and they took up twelve baskets full of the fragments that remained. 21 Now those who had eaten were about five thousand men, besides women and children.

Logic tells us that 7 food items divided by 5000 equals .14% of a loaf of bread. A normal loaf of bread has about 500-700 calories in it, and a fish even less. This means each person could not possibly have gotten more than 1 calorie of food, and we know that humans normally need around 2000 calories per day. Logic dictates that no person should have been satisfied, but scripture tells us that not only were they all full, they filled 12 baskets with the leftovers! Big Grin

If you accept the authority of the Bible, I can't understand how you could say God is subject to logic.
31-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Hey, Ben.

Quote:Isn't any miracle a violation of logic? Take the loaves and fishes for example.

Exactly.

Hey, Valdyr.

Quote:God as most contemporary philosophers understand it cannot do anything that isn't logically possible, because the "laws of logic" are not "imposed" metaphysically on the world, but are part of the necessary constitution of all possible worlds. God only requires omnipotence with respect to contingent matters.

Interesting. I wholly disagree. How can God create logic if he is bound by it?

To all.

Here is a perfect example of what it is like for someone bound by logic and the rules of the natural universe to deal with an all powerful God capable of everything. That being said, what the God character in this does still operates within the framework of what we understand, illustrating (you'll get the pun) that we can't even fully conceive what all powerful even means.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt